New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Feb 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #92 of 425
Quote:
I'am not joking there are two versions search it up. Sennheiser released the updated drivers back in 05 or 06. 

I don't need to search as I was participating in all these threads and know all the details. The only known hard fact is that around that time due to material availability/cost concerns Sennheiser replaced acoustic silk they used for dampening drivers with different material, which accordingly to Senns rep who posted on this board "was carefully selected to have the same acoustic characteristics as the old one to preserve unique HD650 signature". Whether it really have any impact on sonic qualities of HD650 is still controversial, some people hear the difference, some don't, some even found the opposite i.e. old pair brighter than the new one.
I for once after swapping pads couldn't tell them apart. But we should not discount samples variations and psychological effect as people tend to hear what they want to.
Would be interesting to see some sort of measurements against multiple samples of "old" vs. "new" to see if there is anything in this myth.
HD650 are not as hot these days as they used to be though, doubt Tyll or Purrin would be very excited in this exercise.

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #94 of 425
Quote:
I don't need to search as I was participating in all these threads and know all the details. The only known hard fact is that around that time due to material availability/cost concerns Sennheiser replaced acoustic silk they used for dampening drivers with different material, which accordingly to Senns rep who posted on this board "was carefully selected to have the same acoustic characteristics as the old one to preserve unique HD650 signature". Whether it really have any impact on sonic qualities of HD650 is still controversial, some people hear the difference, some don't, some even found the opposite i.e. old pair brighter than the new one.
I for once after swapping pads couldn't tell them apart. But we should not discount samples variations and psychological effect as people tend to hear what they want to.
Would be interesting to see some sort of measurements against multiple samples of "old" vs. "new" to see if there is anything in this myth.
HD650 are not as hot these days as they used to be though, doubt Tyll or Purrin would be very excited in this exercise.

Well each to their own, I have heard both next to each extensively and I found the older version with "less air to breathe" just bit warmer or darker, their is a larger board of people here that also agree. Though some measurements would be great to provide further evidence to a change in the sound between the two.

Quote:
Was the HD580 being made in 2007? I thought they were discontinued a year after I joined Headfi.

The HD580's were discontinued in 2007.

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #95 of 425
Here is the response Graph from my new HD800's Ser# 20521

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #99 of 425
Mar 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #100 of 425
Quote:

i heard an older 650 once at an audio store, was definitely very thick and dark compared to the newer hd 650, immediately noticeable.

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #101 of 425
@longbowbbs

welcome to the team HD800 Bass Heavy/Hot treble fixed version 
size]

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #102 of 425
Quote:
@longbowbbs

welcome to the team HD800 Bass Heavy/Hot treble fixed version 
size]

biggrin.gif
 Dunno what they "were" like before, but I am very pleased with what I have now. All is good!

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #103 of 425
Actually I don't know either 
size]

You can check and compare yours with other versions here 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433059/sennheiser-hd800-certificate-for-frequency-response-arrived.

If you're happy then it's enough.. No need to modify it and of course you can send a "Thank You" post card to Sennheiser HQ 
size]

size]

You can now focus on building/upgrade source/amp

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #104 of 425
Quote:
Actually I don't know either 
size]

You can check and compare yours with other versions here 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433059/sennheiser-hd800-certificate-for-frequency-response-arrived.

If you're happy then it's enough.. No need to modify it and of course you can send a "Thank You" post card to Sennheiser HQ 
size]

size]

You can now focus on building/upgrade source/amp

The apparently never ending quest....
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #105 of 425
Quote:

i heard an older 650 once at an audio store, was definitely very thick and dark compared to the newer hd 650, immediately noticeable.

I owned both for a week, no noticeable difference after I swapped new pads into old one. Again, just speaking for my pair, the new one went back to store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back