New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Feb 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #76 of 425
Quote:
Hmm, I would have to disagree with you there, the bass on my HD800 is excellent when its got a decent amp :p
(not the boomy high-impact "good", but very detailed, deep and exact)
The stax actually feels like it comes up short to the HD800 in detail for the sub bass.

And having spent a few days with Fostex HP-A8C and my HD800 I would mostly agree with you that it does well on low volumes, but for its price I expected more. (also the usb issue I mentioned before...)

After burning in HD800.. I must say that this headphone has BASS. Note that this statement comes from a Denon AH-D2000 owner, a closed headphone which has advantage in bass area compared to the open ones.. so you can figure it out :). I don't have the Denon with with me at the moment but I'm pretty sure HD 800 does not lacking in this area. It's accurate and controlled.

There is no issue on USB at all, just use Wasapi exclusive.. You can check this site 

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC_Wasapi.htm

Or you're talking about USB DSD files support? Do you have many of that files?

So guys.. what is the expected price of new Sennheiser electrostatic flagship then 
size]

Actually, I don't know which area could be improved with this HD800 ... I'm very satisfied already with the performance...  May be I should get a Luxman amp (may be top choice for SS) or even Leben (may be top choice for Tubes)? 

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #77 of 425
Quote:

After burning in HD800.. I must say that this headphone has BASS. Note that this statement comes from a Denon AH-D2000 owner, a closed headphone which has advantage in bass area compared to the open ones.. so you can figure it out :). I don't have the Denon with with me at the moment but I'm pretty sure HD 800 does not lacking in this area. It's accurate and controlled.

There is no issue on USB at all, just use Wasapi exclusive.. You can check this site 

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC_Wasapi.htm

Or you're talking about USB DSD files support? Do you have many of that files?

So guys.. what is the expected price of new Sennheiser electrostatic flagship then 
size]

Actually, I don't know which area could be improved with this HD800 ... I'm very satisfied already with the performance...  May be I should get a Luxman amp (may be top choice for SS) or even Leben (may be top choice for Tubes)? 

Yes it does!  Listening to Infected Mushroom right now and the bass is HUGE!  It is very sub-woofer like, it seems to fill the whole room around you.  Impressive... most impressive.

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #78 of 425
About time some people agree. The HD800's are not bass-light headphones (you want bass-light? go listen to the Sony MDR CD/SA range), it's just since most people are familiar with the sound from the rest of the v - u response toned headphones in the market, they will think these are bass-light. Got to love exaggerated claims and impressions sometimes. 
size]

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #79 of 425
I can't comment about older HD800 bass. I am talking about mine with S/N > 20000.

I don't know if it is related to earpads, but according to some ppl in this forum (if I'm not mistaken):

http://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/showthread.php?t=5164&page=2

the HD800 bass character indeed is changed in current newer batch. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #80 of 425
I have owned 3 variations of the older HD800's right now I'm rocking a 103xxx and these things do have bass. If you don't find them having bass then their is something wrong with the your setup. Most likely amplification.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #81 of 425
Quote:
I have owned 3 variations of the older HD800's right now I'm rocking a 103xxx and these things do have bass. If you don't find them having bass then their is something wrong with the your setup. Most likely amplification.

Mine are 41XX and they bring the bass. Compared them to brand new ones and they all pretty much sound the same. If you scoot on over to the HD800 measurement thread, you'll see that there is no real trend there.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #85 of 425
imo the only reason for lack of bass on the HD800 would be something in your setup (dac, amp, etc not up to snuff) or  if you have an old HD800 and the pads are worn. I had no idea my pads were in that bad condition until I got a new one and replaced them.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #86 of 425
Mine are 20xxx and the bass is excellent! smooth, powerful and appropriate. I am really enjoying them.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #87 of 425
Reminds me of the old vs new HD650 debate. Everyone wanted to believe that newer one is brighter. Well, scale tipped in opposite direction with HD800, whatever.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #88 of 425
Quote:
Mine are 20xxx and the bass is excellent! smooth, powerful and appropriate. I am really enjoying them.

Yes it is powerful enough to shake your head... provided it is there in the recording.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #89 of 425
Quote:
Reminds me of the old vs new HD650 debate. Everyone wanted to believe that newer one is brighter. Well, scale tipped in opposite direction with HD800, whatever.
tongue_smile.gif

Actually the revision 2 HD580's/600's and 650 manufactured after 2005/06 did have a slightly more neutral FR compared to the older versions. This is identifiable by the drivers, white/silver drivers vs the old black/grey felt covered drivers. I do know for sure because I compared the two extensively the HD650's prior to the new revised ones sound's way more warmer and dark. I'm guessing this is where the statement of "veil" came from for the 650's.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #90 of 425
Quote:
Actually the revision 2 HD580's/600's and 650 manufactured after 2005/06 did have a slightly more neutral FR compared to the older versions. This is identifiable by the drivers, white/silver drivers vs the old black/grey felt covered drivers. I do know for sure because I compared the two extensively the HD650's prior to the new revised ones sound's way more warmer and dark. I'm guessing this is where the statement of "veil" came from for the 650's.

Please, not again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back