New Guy Seeks First Amplifier Advice...
Oct 14, 2007 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nograyareas

New Head-Fier
As a typical new guy, my first post is to ask for your help. And yes, I did use the search function, right up to the point that my brain started leaking from my ears, so I hope that some of you might help me…

After reading much on this forum, I purchased my first set of higher end headphones, the Grado SR 225's. I chose these because the vast majority of my music (12,000 songs, mostly 128kbs and >) is rock 'n roll with a bit of jazz and folk thrown into the mix. Also, after reading so much good and not so good about the new iPods, I chose to purchase one of the Apple reconditioned 5.5 generation 80 GB's for $219. With the Applecare warranty, I was out the door for less than $300. Since I spend a good bit of my time at my desk, I burned the headphones in by simply unplugging the speaker output from my Sound Blaster sound card and plugged the Grado quarter inch adapter in and let them run at just a bit higher than comfortable volume for several days.

I am using iTunes and so far the experience has been satisfactory, especially since my needs are rather basic. I spent many years in helicopters in the Marine Corps, and I honestly can't hear much difference between the 128 KBS and the higher rates. Of course, I understand that may change with a good amplifier.

After the burn in, I began listening to music straight from the iPod's headphone jack and there was a lot more detail to the music, as I expected given my research here.

So, my question to the board is this: what should I choose for my first amplifier?

I see that some have used the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro and simply plug in their headphones directly into this for listening at the computer.

After reading a tremendous amount here, I see two options: either buy an amplifier like the Corda Move with the DAC option for use with my computer, or use the Turtle Beach Micro with my computer, and then purchase a more basic amplifier for use strictly with the iPod. I am open to spending $300 or so if necessary, but it seems like a good basic amplifier can be had for much less, especially when I see things like the cMOY from forumite Blackinches that seems to show much promise.

Also, my conclusion is that my Grado SR 225’s are easy to drive and will benefit from even a basic amplifier. I know the sound is much improved just coming from the soundcard to iPod headphone jack, so I am really looking forward to even more detail from my music.

I have corresponded with Dr. Meier and he tells me that his supply of Move amplifiers is running low, and he looks to introduce a slightly improved version over the next month or so. So, do I purchase the current amplifier and not worry about future improvements, or do I look for a more basic amplifier and use the Turtle Beach Micro.

In closing, I want to say how much I enjoy reading the opinions on this board. I participate in other forums, mostly firearm and knife related, and this the board is certainly a different world... in a very good way.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 9
Dr. Meiers Headsix is only $165 paypal shipped and has a very similar amp to the MOVE in LOW mode.

PICO is comming out soon,and is an amp/dac,so check that out.

Ray Samuels has some popular offerings like ther Hornet etc.

Theres alot of talk about the Mini-Box E.

That Turtle Beach is a buy though at only $30,so it might be worth getting one just to have.

Theres so many good options. Check out the reviews in the amp section of the forum. Remember,everyone has an opinion and different likes and dislikes and equipment etc.

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 9
With a set of phones as nice as the SR225, an iPod as the source and a mini^3 amp, it is worth it to get a line out dock for the iPod. What this does is to take the audio from the iPod (from the dock connector) BEFORE the iPod has amplified it for its headphone out. On the other end of the line out dock is a stereo mini plug which connects to the mini jack input on the amp. The result is a considerably better sounding audio signal - and better unamplified audio material for the amp to work with. I purchased an ALO (Audio Line Out) copper dock for about $70 and have never regretted the purchase. My iPod is currently my best quality portable source, with the line out dock.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 9
I purchased one from Skyline 889... He was the first to write me and I ordered one of his 99.999 pure copper sets. Hopefully, this and the amp will arrive at the same time next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back