New guy needs some help
Jul 22, 2014 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ylekot

Head-Fier
I am new to this hobby and am looking for some suggestions/advice/info.....

I am trying to decide between a Little dot I+ and using my current cheapo headphones and saving up to buy a better set of phones...
Or the HiFiman HE300 & EF3 combo for about a hundred bucks more.....

I have no previous experience with open back headphones...which the HE300's are...how loud are they to other folks in the room?  Can you listen to them in the same room with someone watching TV?

I have no real audio shop near me so I can't test anything....and my budget is limited (Per my Wife LOL) So $250 or so......

Comments,other suggestions also welcome....

THANKS!!
Kyle

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 8
As well as your music possibly annoying your missus, the sound of the TV might seriously get in the way of your enjoyment too. You'll have a constant accompaniment from that.

Maybe if you get some cheap open backed headphones, you can try it out - Koss Porta Pro perhaps.

I'd say that closed back is the way if you're sharing the space.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 8
OK....

I have completely shifted gears and decided that I don't want to mess with tubes but still want tube sound.....

Schitt Vali it is!!!

Paired with Audio Technica ATH-50 headphones and it should be a real winner for less than $250.00

Still need to look up those Yamahas though......

Choices are tough to make with this stuff......wow

EDIT: Those Yamahas completely blow my budget....

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 8
Little dot a great start. Many very excellent cans would scale up with that. You could also buy better tubes for the amp and improve the sound in the future.

Try the JVC HA-S680 or S500, Sony MDR-V6, Takstar Pro 80 and the Creative Aurvana Live!. All under $80 and closed to block sound.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 8
Little dot a great start. Many very excellent cans would scale up with that. You could also buy better tubes for the amp and improve the sound in the future.

Try the JVC HA-S680 or S500, Sony MDR-V6, Takstar Pro 80 and the Creative Aurvana Live!. All under $80 and closed to block sound.

I am going with the Vali.....no guesswork and I can't really screw it up.....but I will still get a little tubey goodness.....

As for the headphones I will research your suggestions......

THANKS!!

Kyle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back