New guy asking for advice on buying entry level headphones
Sep 2, 2017 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Don'sound

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and to the audiophile business. I would like to ask for some advice on buying my first entry level headphones. My budget is 100-150 euros. It'll mostly be for casual listening. I'm outside quite a lot so I think closed headphones would be the best for that. I mostly listen to hard rock/(progressive) metal. I would like to have headphones that are quite durable, because I'll be using them outside but also cause I don't always have a lot of money to spend and I would like to make it last. I'm also a gamer so it would be an added benefit if it would be good for that, but that's not a priority. I also read that closed headphones are less good for gaming cause they have less soundstage, so I wouldn't expect to find something that'll be very good for that. I don't have an amplifier, although I might get one in the future. I've been doing research myself and have looked at reviews. I have found two headphones that seem pretty good:
Audio-technica ATH-M50X
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro

I considered the ATH-M40X's but the build quality seems to be less good than the 50X's, also I'd need to buy a shorter cable for 20eu which makes the price difference less big too.

If anyone has experience with these headphones I'd appreciate any info on how they compare. If there are other suggestions anyone has I would appreciate that too and check them out. If I missed any info that you guys need please let me know.Thanks a lot in advance!

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 18
I own the M50x and I find its bass to be overly exuberant and flabby and to step on the mids unpleasantly. I think the M40x is the better headphone of the two. I have had no build quality issues with the M40x. FWIW.
One you ought to consider IMO is the SoundMAGIC HP151. It ticks off pretty much all of your boxes and it sounds fantastic. It has been awhile since I have heard the HD380 but my memory is of a superior-sounding HP151. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It could work for you. Just my take and as always, YMMV,

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 18
+1 for the 40X! M50X is somewhat of a mess in terms of balance, or so I've heard from maaaaany sources. I wouldn't consider the M40X bad build quality either, that whole line is pretty tough

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the info guys. About the M40x, I read that it could break off easier and since that's happened to me before it worried me a bit. But I'll definitely reconsider it. Only other problem is that I'll probably have to get a shorter cable shipped from the US cause I haven't found it at any local webshops.

Definitely gonna check out the SoundMAGIC HP151. And do you mean the HD380 is superior to the HP151 or the other way around? I've seen that the M50x has some bass problems but overall I've seen really good reviews

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 18
I own the M50x and I find its bass to be overly exuberant and flabby and to step on the mids unpleasantly. I think the M40x is the better headphone of the two. I have had no build quality issues with the M40x. FWIW.
One you ought to consider IMO is the SoundMAGIC HP151. It ticks off pretty much all of your boxes and it sounds fantastic. It has been awhile since I have heard the HD380 but my memory is of a superior-sounding HP151. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It could work for you. Just my take and as always, YMMV,

Checked out the HP151, read it doesn't have great noise cancelling and that they're not great for portable use cause of the long cable and stuff. If anyone has any more info that would be appreciated.

Edit: After watching Z review's video I'm leaning towards the M40x paired with a shorter cable and new pads.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 18
Found that I can order a shorter cable and new earpads through amazon.co.uk. I think the best ones in my budget are the Brainwavz angled memory foam earpads. Anyone got any experience with these? Are they worth buying for the M40x?

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 18
Found that I can order a shorter cable and new earpads through amazon.co.uk. I think the best ones in my budget are the Brainwavz angled memory foam earpads. Anyone got any experience with these? Are they worth buying for the M40x?
I tecently nought the Brainwavs angled sheepskin for my M40X. They made a world of difference. Not only are they comfortable, but the soundstage improves dramatically with better sub-bass.
I recommend you keep the stock foam filters as vocals sound hollow without them.

Sep 5, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 18
I'm not sure if you can still find them, but the V-Moda M80 on-ear would fit your needs. It's super durable as in built like a tank durable.it sounds pretty smooth and seals very well. The only caveat is that it is on-ear so if you wear glasses it might be uncomfortable. The initial feel might be a bit uncomfortable too, but the great thing about V-Moda headphones is that you can bend the crap out of the headband to get to fit just right.

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 18
I tecently nought the Brainwavs angled sheepskin for my M40X. They made a world of difference. Not only are they comfortable, but the soundstage improves dramatically with better sub-bass.
I recommend you keep the stock foam filters as vocals sound hollow without them.

Thanks for the info! It's good to know they work so well for you. I'd personally get the pleather version but I think that would mostly affect the comfort.

SoundMAGIC HP151 or even the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm would suit your needs :)

I had considered the DT770 before but I read that it needs an amp or at least a good soundcard which isn't very handy in my case.

I'm not sure if you can still find them, but the V-Moda M80 on-ear would fit your needs. It's super durable as in built like a tank durable.it sounds pretty smooth and seals very well. The only caveat is that it is on-ear so if you wear glasses it might be uncomfortable. The initial feel might be a bit uncomfortable too, but the great thing about V-Moda headphones is that you can bend the crap out of the headband to get to fit just right.

They do look good but I wear glasses and I'm not a fan of on-ear headphones.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #11 of 18
Thanks for the info! It's good to know they work so well for you. I'd personally get the pleather version but I think that would mostly affect the comfort.

I had considered the DT770 before but I read that it needs an amp or at least a good soundcard which isn't very handy in my case.

They do look good but I wear glasses and I'm not a fan of on-ear headphones.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

They do a 32 Ohm version of the DT770,

Also consider the German Maestro GMP 8.35d, indestructible and if you get some brainwavz pads: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-...qid=1504605921&sr=8-3&keywords=brainwavz+pads

The pads make them fully over the ear, but I suggest putting 2 of these in front of each driver if you swap pads as they become slightly brighter: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/foam-disc-new.html

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 18
I would like to ask for some advice on buying my first entry level headphones. My budget is 100-150 euros. It'll mostly be for casual listening. I'm outside quite a lot so I think closed headphones would be the best for that. I would like to have headphones that are quite durable, because I'll be using them outside but also cause I don't always have a lot of money to spend and I would like to make it last. I'm also a gamer so it would be an added benefit if it would be good for that, but that's not a priority.
"Entry level" = 150 euros. lol, ok. Headphone price inflation.
I wouldn't bother with the Senn 380.
HP151 supposedly improves the weak spots from the HP150, but I'd have to have quite a bit of convincing done for me to put HP151 and "durable" in the same sentence. And it sounds kind of weird with the mids sucked out and pretty big sub-bass spike.

I don't know what "outside quite a lot" means." Are they going to be stuffed into a backpack and the backpack gets tossed around or something?
If you will be around traffic or hazards such as road/sidewalk construction, etc, note that using headphones that isolate a lot could mean you are less aware of your surroundings, which could literally lead to your death. If it's just for while riding the bus or something, sure, go full isolation.

You can buy 4 or 5 JVC S400/S500 for the price of some of the other headphones mentioned. Yes, they're on-ears.

Otherwise, M40x does kind of sound like a nice enough option, assuming the pads are big enough. 20 euros just for a different cable is lame though. And if you're thinking of using different pads, then, unless you get the m40x quite cheap, that and the mods are putting it into a higher price bracket.

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #13 of 18
Before you go buying a new cable you could try to coil the long cable so that it is about 1/2 the original lenght, granted the cable needs to be rubberised finish on the outside for that to work because it involves submerging the cable in hot water to soften and reshape the rubber. I'm sure you could find a tutorial on youtube about it.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 18
They do a 32 Ohm version of the DT770,

Also consider the German Maestro GMP 8.35d, indestructible and if you get some brainwavz pads: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-...qid=1504605921&sr=8-3&keywords=brainwavz+pads

The pads make them fully over the ear, but I suggest putting 2 of these in front of each driver if you swap pads as they become slightly brighter: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/foam-disc-new.html

I see that the DT 770 32ohm also has a shorter and detachable cable so that's still an option then. I can only find the German Maestro on Amazon.co.uk and when it comes to buying the headphones itself I'd rather buy them at a more local shop incase I have to send it back for repairs or something like that.

"Entry level" = 150 euros. lol, ok. Headphone price inflation.
I wouldn't bother with the Senn 380.
HP151 supposedly improves the weak spots from the HP150, but I'd have to have quite a bit of convincing done for me to put HP151 and "durable" in the same sentence. And it sounds kind of weird with the mids sucked out and pretty big sub-bass spike.

I don't know what "outside quite a lot" means." Are they going to be stuffed into a backpack and the backpack gets tossed around or something?
If you will be around traffic or hazards such as road/sidewalk construction, etc, note that using headphones that isolate a lot could mean you are less aware of your surroundings, which could literally lead to your death. If it's just for while riding the bus or something, sure, go full isolation.

You can buy 4 or 5 JVC S400/S500 for the price of some of the other headphones mentioned. Yes, they're on-ears.

Otherwise, M40x does kind of sound like a nice enough option, assuming the pads are big enough. 20 euros just for a different cable is lame though. And if you're thinking of using different pads, then, unless you get the m40x quite cheap, that and the mods are putting it into a higher price bracket.

I suppose it might not be entry level but I thought I saw somewhere that this price range is considered entry level. Thanks for the info on the HD380 and the HP151.

I'm outside daily but mostly in public transport. I don't have my headphones in my backpack very often. I try to be careful handling them but durability is still very important to me. Safety wise I try to be cautious and I take them off if I feel it's necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't like on-ear headphones.

Found the cable for 15 now but it's still not ideal of course..I don't get why they didn't just include a shorter cable.. Together with the pads the M40x should be 135-140 euros. The M40x itself being 90 euros. I'm not completely sure yet if its worth it but I've seen a lot of good reviews for the M40x and with an improved soundstage from the pads it does sound like a very good combo. If the pads last for a while I think it'll be worth the investment too.

Before you go buying a new cable you could try to coil the long cable so that it is about 1/2 the original lenght, granted the cable needs to be rubberised finish on the outside for that to work because it involves submerging the cable in hot water to soften and reshape the rubber. I'm sure you could find a tutorial on youtube about it.

When it comes to coiling the cable I don't think it'll be much of an improvement for me, I find it really clunky when it comes to using a coiled cable outside. But thanks, I'll look into it.

Sep 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 18
I see that the DT 770 32ohm also has a shorter and detachable cable so that's still an option then. I can only find the German Maestro on Amazon.co.uk and when it comes to buying the headphones itself I'd rather buy them at a more local shop incase I have to send it back for repairs or something like that.

I suppose it might not be entry level but I thought I saw somewhere that this price range is considered entry level. Thanks for the info on the HD380 and the HP151.

I'm outside daily but mostly in public transport. I don't have my headphones in my backpack very often. I try to be careful handling them but durability is still very important to me. Safety wise I try to be cautious and I take them off if I feel it's necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't like on-ear headphones.

Found the cable for 15 now but it's still not ideal of course..I don't get why they didn't just include a shorter cable.. Together with the pads the M40x should be 135-140 euros. The M40x itself being 90 euros. I'm not completely sure yet if its worth it but I've seen a lot of good reviews for the M40x and with an improved soundstage from the pads it does sound like a very good combo. If the pads last for a while I think it'll be worth the investment too.

When it comes to coiling the cable I don't think it'll be much of an improvement for me, I find it really clunky when it comes to using a coiled cable outside. But thanks, I'll look into it.
I don't use headphones much and only earbuds outside but I'd imagine you're right. Those cables are quite weighty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back