New Grado SR60 owner. Wife hates them!
Apr 17, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frisenette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell her to either put up or fck off while you listen to music!

That's probably very ill-advised, unless you are ok with never getting sex again from your wife for the rest of your marriage.

Clearly a comment of a single man.

biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's probably very ill-advised, unless you are ok with never getting sex again from your wife for the rest of your marriage.

biggrin.gif

Ain't that the truth
plainface.gif

If I ever told mine to eff off I suspect I'd come home to some badly mauled headphones
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #18 of 48
You can try using them at work at a modest level. I find the SR-60 sounds pretty good without cracking them up. The openness allows you to still hear the phone or coworkers.

The GS1000 were the worst for leaking. I used them in the other room and my wife still heard them. The oversized pads forced you to turn up the volume more than other Grados. I now have a PS-1 and can use them in the same room without bothering her. I also can't hear the tv sounds leaking in once the music is playing.

I never tried the SR-60 at home. My wife also has a pair and says her coworker have mentioned over hearing them. I think she listens louder than I do. When she'd get stressed out at work, she'd crack up some punk rock and feel better. She now uses ety ER-4 for that.

Edit: The SR-60 sound great unamped so you could also use them on a portable device in another room away from you wife. You won't find any brand that sounds quite like Grados. In fact, I have heard any closed headphones I truely like as much.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #19 of 48
That's what everyone told me about my Grado's, too. In the average joe's eyes, headphones are something used for convenience only, when speakers aren't available. They don't understand why the sound isn't contained within the ear-cups. You bet I got some laughs when I explained that it was to maintain the Grado sound and keep the music as open sounding as possible. But who cares about what they think, just enjoy the music.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #20 of 48
Let's see,wife...headphones...the choice is easy, happy listening!
gs1000.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #23 of 48
I would just keep the headphones, and get a 2nd pair of IEMs or closed headphones that isolate better for when your wife is around and to use at work. Then whenever she leaves you can cheat on her with the sweet supple sounds of Grado.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattr762 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was reading your other thread and you mentioned wanting to "Feel" the music. Well, I like to feel it to. And it can't be felt at low volumes. It seems to me that at low volumes the Grado's sound like any other headphone.

I can't turn it up much louder than I usually listen to it, it causes me pain.

I'm going to get an E-MU 0404 and hope that makes it "feel" better.

Good luck with your problem.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trade the Grado SR60's for some "closed" Sony V6's, they are close to the same price and sound quality. They are also easy to drive like the Grados.

- augustwest

i agree with the sony v6. my bro has the V6's and they're not bad at all for the price. the mid to highs aren't as detailed as the sr60, close though, but what you get more of in return is bass. upgrade to the dt250 pads for added comfort. but rule of thumb is that an open headphone does better than closed headphones when it comes to price/performance.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

The comment of a man not being henpecked rather.
A happy relationship is a equal relationship.
I'm sure she does plenty of things that you find irritation as hell too.
Sometimes you just have to accept certain parts of a person because you love all the others.

If a woman uses sex as a sort of blackmail thing, you really should let her go. Not because of the lack of sex but because that sort of person who stoops to such low means, is not worth spending you life with.

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #28 of 48
You just gotta work out some compromise. Personally I believe you're listening at VERY unsafe levels. I listen to my Grado at appreciable volumes and sure I can hear them when they're in my hands, but if I'm around a metre or 2 from them, I can only hear a slight hum, nothing noticeable. I'd say turning the volume down is the best solution, not only for your wife's sake, but yours as well, so that you may continue to enjoy music for years to come. You should probably try to see if there's something stuck in your ears too.

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #29 of 48
It helps, when adjusting to listening to lower levels, to start out listening really low and then once you can hear details turn it up just a smidge and you will say wow.

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #30 of 48
Grab a pair of Sennheiser hd-25 or some IEM.
No noise but you your wife will still bother you because you wont be able to ear her. Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back