NEW Grado PS 1000 headphones!!!
Mar 26, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #107 of 144
the word that i've heard (from good sources - who shall remain unnamed) is that Grado is swamped with orders for these, well beyond their expectations. it may take many months for them to catch up. Grado is a small company without the technical resources of a large outfit such as Sennheiser so it's unrealistic to expect them to be able to do something completely new like Senn did with the hd800. nevertheless i'm not quite sure if that makes it 'merely another one of Grado's spin off products', any more so than a sought after can such as the ps-1. grado builds on what they do, and it's likely that it'd be hard for them to do otherwise.
what's particularly intriguing so far is that the reports are from experienced listeners who are more than merely fanboys (and yes, Zanth is clearly an unabashed Grado fan). Zanth plays violin and knows what live music sounds like. he's also been around the headphone hi-fi scene for a while and knows about listening to reproduced music. Sanderman (see his listening impressions in his 'ps1000s shipping' thread, if you haven't already) may not be a prolific poster here but the man is clearly an experienced audiophile and has listened intently to all sorts of great gear, both traditional speaker based stereos as well as first class headphone rigs (other than Grado). both of these guys, rather articulately, put this at the top of the heap of (numerous) music reproduction devices that they've experienced.
for that kind of performance is the asking price too much? i too wish it were a few hundred dollars less. folks have posited a number of good reasons why it may be priced the way it is. for most prospective purchasers i'd bet that if they can pay for the hd800 they likely can opt for the ps1000. i can't wait to hear both. and i'll bet mcmanus ends up with both in his considerable collection!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote Originally Posted by Lamenthe:
'Despite the state of the economy, tons of head-fiers are still willing to buy both the HD800s and PS1000s.'

To be honest, I really don't see it happening with the PS-1000 unless there are a lot of confirming opinions rolling in after more people have heard them (besides Zanth). But yes, I think the HD800 will be a big hit. I'm very doubtful on the PS-1000. My guess is that sales will be quite slow at first. But who knows where it might go from there.

Maybe that's just me, but I see the PS-1000 as merely another one of Grado's spin off products and not something that represents anything new in terms of design, use of technology, or any matter of substance. As a result, I know that I'll sure be reluctant. If ever I do pull the trigger on the PS-1000 it will be because they sound so dang good that I simply can't help myself. But I'll still be grumbling about how Grado managed to grab me by the short and curlies again despite the fact that... oh, nevermind. No sense in getting myself all wound up again.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #109 of 144
i agree i know its been beaten to death here.. but why grado...

why couldnt you just add metal blocks and rod locks.... that woulda made these just that much better.....

PS1000i anyone?

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #110 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the word that i've heard (from good sources - who shall remain unnamed) is that Grado is swamped with orders for these, well beyond their expectations. it may take many months for them to catch up. Grado is a small company without the technical resources of a large outfit such as Sennheiser so it's unrealistic to expect them to be able to do something completely new like Senn did with the hd800. nevertheless i'm not quite sure if that makes it 'merely another one of Grado's spin off products', any more so than a sought after can such as the ps-1. grado builds on what they do, and it's likely that it'd be hard for them to do otherwise.
what's particularly intriguing so far is that the reports are from experienced listeners who are more than merely fanboys (and yes, Zanth is clearly an unabashed Grado fan). Zanth plays violin and knows what live music sounds like. he's also been around the headphone hi-fi scene for a while and knows about listening to reproduced music. Sanderman (see his listening impressions in his 'ps1000s shipping' thread, if you haven't already) may not be a prolific poster here but the man is clearly an experienced audiophile and has listened intently to all sorts of great gear, both traditional speaker based stereos as well as first class headphone rigs (other than Grado). both of these guys, rather articulately, put this at the top of the heap of (numerous) music reproduction devices that they've experienced.
for that kind of performance is the asking price too much? i too wish it were a few hundred dollars less. folks have posited a number of good reasons why it may be priced the way it is. for most prospective purchasers i'd bet that if they can pay for the hd800 they likely can opt for the ps1000. i can't wait to hear both. and i'll bet mcmanus ends up with both in his considerable collection!
wink.gif

So if I`m understanding you correctly, you are saying after the GS 1000s, there is no need to move to the PS 1000s, for the extra cash?. But the Sennhesier HD 800s, are the right move to make?

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #111 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be much happier to see HP-1000 style rod holder/locks. It looks beautiful on the HP-1000, and I imagine it'll look great on the PS-1000s as well

Thats the first thing that came to my mind, a flagship phone but still the basic headband/frame & plastic looks as the MS1 with some shiny metal hanging off it.

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #112 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I`m understanding you correctly, you are saying after the GS 1000s, there is no need to move to the PS 1000s, for the extra cash?. But the Sennhesier HD 800s, are the right move to make?

No that's clearly NOT what he was saying.....at all.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #113 of 144
Grado has to get it together with the Quality control. I bought the GS-1000's in 2007. Right off the box the head pads were warped, replaced by Grado. Last Xmas the left brace broke...yes it was fixed under warranty..last weekend the clamp holding the left head pod fell off...I paid full price,,I take care of these babies kept in a cool mahogany box... They sound great but I do not think I will ever buy Grados again...my money is going to Sennheiser..better build quality...I am the biggest Grado fan. But I cannot accet these faults for the money they charge for their product.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #114 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by wpfloridian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado has to get it together with the Quality control. I bought the GS-1000's in 2007. Right off the box the head pads were warped, replaced by Grado. Last Xmas the left brace broke...yes it was fixed under warranty..last weekend the clamp holding the left head pod fell off...I paid full price,,I take care of these babies kept in a cool mahogany box... They sound great but I do not think I will ever buy Grados again...my money is going to Sennheiser..better build quality...I am the biggest Grado fan. But I cannot accet these faults for the money they charge for their product.

I think your an exception.

There's always going to be an exception to the norm ... yes?

My own RS1's and GS1000's have been flawless in fit and finish.

And I think you'll find the vast majority of Grado owners will echo my statement ...

Yes ... the Grado build style is a bit ... er, medieval ...

Yes ... the Grado build style leaves a bit of room for architectural flaws (being medieval and all) ...

But no ...

There's not a tsunami's worth of testimony to back your own problem up ... so why not just get Grado Labs to own up and replace your bunk cans?

If they won't do so? Then I'll back you up in a witch hunt, friend. I'll back you up.

smile.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #115 of 144
I had no problems with my GS1000 physically, but I had sonically. After several months of perfect working status, I started to get big distortions in the bass region on the most demanding orchestral pieces (think of organ pedals of Mahler's 8, the Dies Irae of Berlioz's Requiem) even at average volumes. According to this forum, there were quite a few with this very same problem, not a good sign for sure.

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #116 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by wpfloridian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sorry to hear that, out of interest have you owned any other grado models which have had problems? or it just the gs1k?

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #117 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had no problems with my GS1000 physically, but I had sonically. After several months of perfect working status, I started to get big distortions in the bass region on the most demanding orchestral pieces (think of organ pedals of Mahler's 8, the Dies Irae of Berlioz's Requiem) even at average volumes. According to this forum, there were quite a few with this very same problem, not a good sign for sure.

Grado cans sometimes get a hair of similar in the coil area and you get distortion. Use a flashlight and a magnifier to see if you can find a hair. Even if you do not see it use a bit of air from a compressed can (carefully not to fully aim the stream) and see if it dislodges something caught in the driver. It is a cheap enough thing to try.
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #118 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No that's clearly NOT what he was saying.....at all.

Well, according to what I`m reading here, daveDerek says, that people who will buy the Sennheiser HD800s, for a couple a hundred more, could opt for the Grado PS1000s. Right?
My thing is, if the difference between the the GS and PS are small, especially for the difference in the asking price, but between the new Senn HD800s and GS1000 is huge, and from what most people are saying that the Sennheiser HD800s are now the best cans anyone has heard to date, why would you opt the PS 1000s? and better yet, where does that that leave them in wake of the Sennheiser HD800s?

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #119 of 144
Quote:

Well, according to what I`m reading here, daveDerek says, that people who will buy the Sennheiser HD800s, for a couple a hundred more, could opt for the Grado PS1000s. Right?
My thing is, if the difference between the the GS and PS are small, especially for the difference in the asking price, but between the new Senn HD800s and GS1000 is huge, and from what most people are saying that the Sennheiser HD800s are now the best cans anyone has heard to date, why would you opt the PS 1000s? and better yet, where does that that leave them in wake of the Sennheiser HD800s?

I guess this is a perfect example of the fact that everyone reads things differently.

First off, I've read nowhere that the differences between the GS and PS are small. Quite the contrary actually.

Second, no one has said that the HD800s are "now the best cans anyone has heard to date". Even the John Willet guy from Sennheiser said they don't touch the HE90, and they really aren't supposed to at a $1,400 price point.

Third, why would one opt for the PS-1000's? For my ears, personally, it's because no other manufacturer of headphones gets tone spot on like Grado does. Also, from what I've read, the HD800s don't excel in the bass category. That doesn't seem to be the case with the PS-1000's. If the PS-1000 turns out to be a PS-1 with a GS1000 soundstage, or even better, then game over for me.

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #120 of 144
Quote:

Don't get caught up in the idea that it's the best. That is said about many phone, yet people own a variety of different headphones for a different sounds. There is no best, there is just a variety at the top tier (assuming the PS-1000 and HD800 will make it there. Not guaranteed).

It'll be about what they prefer in the end.

By the way, If I could only choose one headphone between the HE-90 and K-1000, I'd keep the K-1000s, I like them better. Oh, and I think the HE-90 is the best headphone from a technical standpoint - . Hope that puts things into perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back