New Google phone looks horrid
Sep 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the iPhone 3G made of plastic as well?
Lol.

well the back is but not the whole phone, maybe it just doesn't bother me because its in a case

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the back is but not the whole phone, maybe it just doesn't bother me because its in a case

So how is that a good comparison between the G1 and the iPhone? The G1 will of course have more plastic as it has a keyboard. And what makes you think that the whole G1 is made of plastic? What makes you think that the whole iPhone isn't made of plastic? I won't be surprised if the G1's screen and the iPhone's screen are made from the same thing, which they probably are.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #19 of 35
well considering the iphone does have metal on it makes me think it isn't entirely made of plastic, and considering I've seen the screens crack like glass and they get cold like glass and not plastic, I'm going to assume they aren't plastic. That google phone looks like it is worth no more then $50 and it looks light and cheaply made. the iphone 3G uses a plastic back but they didn't make the entire thing out of what looks like cheap garbage, I don't know if you've noticed but most apple products use white or black plastic but also include metal, which looks good, if they were made entirely of plastic they would look like crap like the google phone.

PS I'm done talking about this, I don't fight.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #21 of 35
I still don't see how that justifies the build quality of the iPhone compared to the G1. And my opinion is the opposite of yours, the first iPhone looked like a really slick piece of tech gear. But the latest one looks like "cheap garbage worthed $50". Lol. Yes most Apple products have black and white plastic but we're talking about the iPhone here. With all the cracks being posted online, horrid internal camera quality, malfunctioning software and its yellow screen, I still can't believe why people buy them. And so you're saying the G1's screen is made from plastic. Now that is preposterous. It's first impressions like these which show how ignorant people could be or become.

Now I'm not trying to create a flame war or anything but I just cannot stand people saying that this product is s**t just because of how it looks. Saying it looks ugly is one thing. But saying that it's some "cheap garbage" is just overdoing it, especially when you haven't tried it.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #22 of 35
The challenge Android will face is having to work with a many of hardware vendors. It's a complication that is difficult to overcome. MS understands this too since they have the same problem. There's plenty of hardware choices but it gets to the point of total confusion and the integration isn't as strong. This isn't a guaranteed outcome IMO but it's almost inevitable.

Look at the videos here: T-Mobile G1 video hands-on - Engadget

Apple recently purchased a fabless chip design company and they know their system inside out. I'm not happy with some of their decisions on how they're dealing with devs and the apps store but as a consumer, the experience is pretty seamless. I just got an iPhone myself and I'm very happy with it.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #24 of 35
It looks pretty smick to me.
Won't be getting one... I'm happy with my phone that's just a phone
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #25 of 35
looks like a normal phone

however i expect more from google!

hey elliot...i dont reckon people outside sydney know what 'smick' is :p '

i love the wonderful universe of australia where we live.

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #26 of 35
It does indeed!
I would take an Apple iPhone any day over that one...

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #27 of 35
I think, as a first time effort, its definitely not bad.

The iPhone, on the other hand, nailed it in terms of design and UI on the 1st gen phone, but even now on they 2nd gen phones the bugs are still annoying. Also, the 1st gen iPhone looks way cooler than the 3G.

I think I'm going to stick to my Samsung i608 (or Blackjack/i600 to American folk) because I love the keypad, its slim, light and is very functional. I know Windows Mobile isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I find Windows works really well for what I need, especially in running engineering applications (One of the reasons that stopped me from buying a Macbook).

One thing that annoys me is google seems to be leaving too much of Android up to the 3rd party developers, which isn't a good thing since there needs to be a sound framework from which others can than work on. In other words, not everybody can be bothered looking for 3rd party applications, and google has to step in here to fill this gap to ensure less savvy users can still enjoy their android handset. Also, What can you only use one gmail account with a phone unless you reset everything????

Speaking of which, has Android been transplanted into the O2 Atom or blackjack yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back