New GameBoy Advance
Jun 23, 2001 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

cmoy

Chief HeadWizer
This has nothing to do with audio. I just got my Gameboy Advance and love it so much that I had to tell everyone to try it. If you own a gameboy color, GBA is INCREDIBLE!!! Bigger screen, faster performance, great launch games with stupendous graphics. And even better, most of the GC games look sooooo expansive on the GBA's larger screen.

Anyway, I am running out of breath praising the GBA. I hope that the next version will feature 3D sound (maybe Dolby Headphone
smily_headphones1.gif
?). All of you current GC owners must at least try a GBA. It's a masterpiece of design (what the GC should have been).

If you get a GBA and a Light Shield (from Pelican Accessories), please email me about the LED mod for the Light Shield.

Jun 23, 2001 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 22
Yeah, they're pretty cool! Actually, I don't have one, but two of my roommates do. Man, one of those good light accessories is MANDATORY! I borrowed one and tried to play Castlevania w/o the light... nuhuh, wasn't happening. The next one they make had better have a backlight, I don't give a crap if it drains the batteries quick or not.

But have you played F-Zero on it yet? I tried, and man was I disappointed. I loved F-Zero and F-Zero X, but this new one has been ruined. Why, you ask? Because it forces you to use the brakes in order to turn effectively. THE F$!*$@$ BRAKES!!! REAL MEN DON'T USE BRAKES!!!!!!!
mad.gif

Jun 23, 2001 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 22
cmoy, have you tried Rayman yet? It's AMAZING! Looks like the PSX version. I've had one since it was released in Japan, and I love it! Rayman, Krazy Racers, Mario, it's all great! Yall gotta try it out!

Jun 23, 2001 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 22
Here is another one

06-14-01.gif

Cmoy, My friend did a GBA light mod from the Interact light.

what he did was replace the led that came with the Pelican light ( v cheap and poor) with this from radioshack.

now the thing is totally nice and WELL LIT.

Here is the part number for the LED from radioshack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=276%2D320

276-276-320.jpg

Currently ALL GBA lights are VERY POOR, so do not waste money on any. EXcept the interact one if you are replacing the LED .

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=201208

BTW, try playing GBA with HEADPHONES ! not the great one like HD600, but just any cheapo cans will do. The GBA speaker does the system NO justice ! try headphone !
smily_headphones1.gif

Tides * who enjoys his import GBA and the 5 games he has

Jun 23, 2001 at 7:40 AM Post #6 of 22
Flumpus, I have not tried Rayman yet. The two GBA games I have are F-Zero and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. (BTW, Fry's is selling Tony Hawk's for $29.99 until 6/26.) At nearly $40 per game cartridge, I am taking my time to build my GBA game collection. I hear that the game prices should drop in a few months after the novelty of the GBA launch has faded. Rayman is supposed to be excellent, as are most of the new GBA games.

Dhwilkin, I have FZero and have run the F-Zero demo, but have not actually learned all the rules and instructions for playing it. Instead, I have been busy rediscovering my collection of GC games like Super Mario Bros. I had given up on GC games because the small screen gave me headaches. Most GC games look so good on the GBA that I have not spent much effort yet on the new games yet. You must admit, though, that the F-Zero graphics are spectacular.

New games are coming out soon (maybe by the end of summer). I am even thinking of subscribing to the Nintendo magazine.
biggrin.gif
I am saving my money (assuming of course that the HeadWize bandwidth premiums don't wrench it from me).

Tides, yes I read about the LED mod from http://www.geocities.com/gbalight/ and made my own improvements (which I have sent to the webmaster there). The LightBoy is rumored to be the best light, but is not available in the US yet.

Jun 23, 2001 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 22
The GBA was released here in Europe on June 21st, and I was sure to get mine right away. I had pre-ordered a white GBA (arctic) with Mario, F-Zero and Castlevania. But when I was at the store to pick it up the guy waved Tony Hawk under my nose and cut me a deal for the whole package, and since I have absolutely zero resistance against such deals I went for it. I paid about $310 for the GBA with four games, I don't know if that's expensive or cheap compared to what you pay. Probably expensive though, everything is here in Sweden.

Anyway, I'm glad I bought it. It's a great machine, the graphics are truly awesome for a portable considering they would've been considered state-of-the-art on a home system only a few years ago. I agree that the screen is somewhat hard to see, it really works best in sunlight. I guess Nintendo wants us to get out more, eh?
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the games I haven't had a chance to play any one game for a significant amount of time. That's about to change though since I will be home alone for a week starting today.
smily_headphones1.gif
My preliminary findings on the games I bought are:

Mario: I guess Nintendo couldn't release a new machine without a Mario game to go with it. I find it quite enjoying, but I would've much preferred Mario 3 (which is in the works for the GBA btw.), since that is my favorite Mario game (except for maybe SMW). As it stands, it's still a good game. They really made the most out of Mario 2 considering it's not even a true Mario game from the beginning.

The graphics are nice, a bit spruced up from even the SNES Super Mario All-Stars. New sprite effects have also been added to show off the hardware.

The sound is also ok, nothing special but pretty nice. The tunes are catchy as always, and they have added voice samples for all of the characters. The voice samples I currently find quite amusing, but I imagine they could become pretty annoying with time.

F-Zero: I've never played F-Zero X, so I can't comment on how similar it is to F-Zero MV. However I have played the SNES game quite extensively, and I think that the SNES and GBA versions have a bit in common. Especially the graphics are of the same style in both games, but that's to be expected since the GBA isn't equipped for N64 style 3d. They are good too, very fast and smooth. It bodes well for the future that first generation games can be this good graphically.

The sound is standard fare, somwhat catchy melodies and reasonable sound effects. Nothing to write home about, but not too bad either.

Castlevania: This game is my primary reason for getting a GBA. I really loved Castlevania: SOTN on the PSX and all the previews said this was very similar. So far I can say I agree to some extent. Basically it's a Castlevania/Metroid cross-over, much like SOTN. You explore a large castle on the hunt for Dracula, and certain items you find give you access to new parts of the castle where even more items can be found etc.

The graphics are dark as hell, but that's because Konami made the game before actual GBA hardware was available and therefore couldn't check how it would look. I find that it's in no way unplayable as long as you have sufficient light though, most like any other GBA game. The look of the graphics is IMO incredible, detailed sprites and backgrounds that wouldn't look out of place on a SNES or maybe even a PSX. The one bad thing I've found so far is the animation on the main character, a few more frames could've been added to remove the stiffness of his movement. Overall I'm very happy though.

The sound is also quite incredible, especially the song that plays on the title screen. Tunes in the game are of SNES or higher quality and very catchy. But since the GBA's speaker is tinny at best you really need headphones to enjoy them to their full extent. I'm currently using my E888 earbuds and it works great.(Made it on-topic, hehe)
smily_headphones1.gif

Tony Hawk: This game I wasn't even going to buy until I got cut a deal on it. I'm glad I did though, it's probably the best showcase of the GBA hardware out currently and pretty darn fun to boot. If you've played the PSX/DC/PC versions you know what to expect, it plays very similar. The notable difference being that the 3d graphics had to be replaced by a semi-3d isometric view.

Whichever way you look at it though, it looks freakin' awesome for a portable game. The graphics are smooth and fast and as good as you could've hoped. The view was somewhat hard to come to terms with at first, bring used to the full 3d view of the other versions. But after a warm-up period I was up to my old tricks again (no pun intended).

The sound is also good, unfortunately none of the licensed songs of the full-size versions made it onto the cartridge. To be expected, naturally, and it doesn't really matter since the replacements are pretty damn good too. Nice work overall from the music team.

Phew, well that's my opinion on the GBA and assorted games. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them. I'll do my best to answer.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 22
Don't taze me bro! I dug this one out of the bottom of the barrel.:wink:

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't taze me bro! I dug this one out of the bottom of the barrel.:wink:

But why? I should taze you so hard...

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But why? I should taze you so hard...

Kinky!
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 22
OMG I agree with the OP's statements. GBA is really fun, alot better than the GBC.

I hope that soon ther will be a console like the GBA but with 3d graphics and many even a backlite!

Oh, and this is a bit crazy but maybe one day there will be a portable console with 2 screens, and maybe it would be cool if one of them was a touch screen :O

But thats insane. Nothing like that would ever happen.

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #12 of 22
lol, blast from the past.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 22
I laughed
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG I agree with the OP's statements. GBA is really fun, alot better than the GBC.

I hope that soon ther will be a console like the GBA but with 3d graphics and many even a backlite!

Oh, and this is a bit crazy but maybe one day there will be a portable console with 2 screens, and maybe it would be cool if one of them was a touch screen :O

But thats insane. Nothing like that would ever happen.

no way man! How would you fit that in a handheld? I mean come on, this is already a portable snes man! so much better then GC!

P.S. I can't wait for The Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (lol, i just made that up) on the three dee, dual screen bottom touch screen backlight thingey. da

Users who are viewing this thread

Back