new Gallo Reference 3.1's!
Sep 14, 2008 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

cn11

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got new speakers... demo price on some Gallo Reference 3.1's. I'm also giving the S.A. Reference amp a trial listen at home. I think I'm keeping it, it fleshes out the bass nicely. So far I'm loving these speakers. They have great synergy with my integrated amp, cd player, and most importantly my room. I get none of the midrange dryness that I've read from other users in Head-fi. To me they sound full, lush, detailed, and very at ease and natural. They play very loud without any hint of strain, and don't beat you up while doing so. A great speaker, especially at the demo price!

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 19
Not sure when you say demo price you mean they were floor demo's or not, but if they aren't fully broken in yet, you'll be loving them even more, trust me.

They require a rather lengthy break-in period. Several hundred hours.

They really are very fine speakers. They throw a stage like few others.

....and they LOVE tubes.

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cAsE sEnSiTiVe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure when you say demo price you mean they were floor demo's or not, but if they aren't fully broken in yet, you'll be loving them even more, trust me.

They require a rather lengthy break-in period. Several hundred hours.

They really are very fine speakers. They throw a stage like few others.

....and they LOVE tubes.

They were floor demos and the dealer said they're broken in, but his business is run out of a showroom in his home and he likes jazz and easier types of music. I'm aware of the lengthy break in on these, and have been wondering if these really have seen the kind of hours to be completely broken in. I have been giving the woofers more of a workout the last few days than he has, I'm sure! But I am already very pleased with what I'm hearing. So far the biggest strengths I am hearing are the level of detail while remaining smooth and non-fatiguing, and the soundstage of course. The mids and bass aren't too bad either.
icon10.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 19
J-E-A-L-O-U-S

Gallo makes awesome speakers... I got my 8 year old daughter a set of A'Divas (with the TR1 sub) for Christmas and was blown away by how powerful they sound for a speaker the size of a softball. I can only imagine how good the 3.1 sound.

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J-E-A-L-O-U-S

Gallo makes awesome speakers... I got my 8 year old daughter a set of A'Divas (with the TR1 sub) for Christmas and was blown away by how powerful they sound for a speaker the size of a softball. I can only imagine how good the 3.1 sound.

You treat your daughter well! I am sure she'll enjoy those for years to come. Did you get her the A'Diva Ti's? I will probably at some point use those for rears as I slowly work toward a theater setup, which plays music well too.

The 3.1's are wonderful! Watch Audiogon because I've seen quite a few come and go through there for great prices, especially considering the level of speaker you get for 1,500-2,000. But be sure to try the S.A. amp as well, it really takes the bass into the bottom depths.

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulation! Got any picture?

I will shoot a few one of these days soon!

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 19
Those are great! I have a friend that has the 3 and they sound very good.

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 19
Sep 23, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You treat your daughter well! I am sure she'll enjoy those for years to come. Did you get her the A'Diva Ti's? I will probably at some point use those for rears as I slowly work toward a theater setup, which plays music well too.

The 3.1's are wonderful! Watch Audiogon because I've seen quite a few come and go through there for great prices, especially considering the level of speaker you get for 1,500-2,000. But be sure to try the S.A. amp as well, it really takes the bass into the bottom depths.

Yep, they're the Ti's.

$1,500-2,000 for the 3.1? WOW! That's a steal.

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were floor demos and the dealer said they're broken in, but his business is run out of a showroom in his home and he likes jazz and easier types of music. I'm aware of the lengthy break in on these, and have been wondering if these really have seen the kind of hours to be completely broken in. I have been giving the woofers more of a workout the last few days than he has, I'm sure! But I am already very pleased with what I'm hearing. So far the biggest strengths I am hearing are the level of detail while remaining smooth and non-fatiguing, and the soundstage of course. The mids and bass aren't too bad either.
icon10.gif

Excellent speakers, great price, you will love them. They just get better and better. Enjoy! -Tim

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 19
I need to give those things another chance. I heard them on an extended session at a local dealer, and they just sounded odd. Soundstage was stupid big, but nothing was well placed. Like I was listening to a bubble of sound surrounding me. Weird.

I'm glad you like yours. It motivates me to give them another shot.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 19
Extended break-in at unlistenable volumes required. -Tim

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to give those things another chance. I heard them on an extended session at a local dealer, and they just sounded odd. Soundstage was stupid big, but nothing was well placed. Like I was listening to a bubble of sound surrounding me. Weird.

I'm glad you like yours. It motivates me to give them another shot.

To me, soundstage is big and wide, and placement is pretty good. Every once in a while they'll throw something so far outside of the speakers it makes me turn my head. Even the cat has turned to look because of this. I wonder what the dealer was using for source/associated equipment where you listened.

Maybe go back and give them a lengthy listen. Or see if the dealer will let you take a pair home for a week demo. The dealer I got mine from allowed me to demo the SA amp and the TR2 subwoofer to see which one of those routes I wanted to go. I went with the SA amp... it integrates the bass more seamlessly, and I like the control that it gives you. Best of luck. Are you speaker shopping currently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back