New from Woo Audio - WA7 Fireflies (3rd Gen)
Jul 18, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #316 of 403
Yeah, I normally get rid of or forget about equipment after a few months, but the wa7 gen 3 is still on my desk after a year. It's really a giant killer with the right setup/tubes. I don't think it's getting the attention it deserves tbh. To me, it beat the gsx mini, the Soloist 3GT, and I even preferred the wa7 over the enleum 23r. I had used the WA7 as a pre amp to my Solid state Mcintosh amplifier, but I didn't enjoy it as much as a preamp. Now all I need to do is find another pair of mullards that sound like the ones I have.

Just A/B'd again with the OG Utopia's and the Enleum and WA7, there is definitely more power and control with the Enleum, the WA7's tone was more understated, surprisingly, the Enleum added more color to the sound in a good way. I actually enjoyed the Enleum more this listen. I did change out my PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3 for a Puritan PSM156. The Puritan could be synergizing better with the Enleum and all the other components.
wow, thanks for the info. I contemplate selling it at times, because headphones are not my main choice, speakers are. However, I have learned after some years in the hobby, not to move away from things your really enjoy just to try out new things.
I'm seriously considering buying the WA7 but doubting between gen2 (Mike recommendation) and gen3, I guess the 4.4bal output is not enough to go to gen 3 by itself but if I can use the pre-out as a phono pre-amp connected to my amp (NAD M33) it will be worth going for gen3, in that case I would use Vynil as main source, being the WA7 my desktop amp for HP and when listening through the speaker it will do the pre-amp job.
Has anyone, tried the gen 3 as a phono pre-amp (for a Rega. Planar P3)?
So you mean TT > phono pre > wa7 > HP ?

In that case, yes I have done that. I used it as a pre-amp two times to experiment. My chain was Fluance RT85 with a nagaoka MP-110 > Ifi Zen Phono > Wa7g3 > ZMF Eikon. It sounded great, but it was just an experiment, my TT set up is made for my couch, not headphone listening. I do use my wa7 as a pre-amp for my 2.1 desktop set up nearly every day. Sometimes I go SS, sometimes tube, its a really nice option to have.

Jul 18, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #317 of 403
So you mean TT > phono pre > wa7 > HP ?
I meant 2 different setups:
1) TT > WA7 > HP (basic option)
2 TT > WA7 (pre-out) > AMP> Speakers

The #2 is what I’m trying to validate if the WA7 can enhance TT signal into the amp

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #318 of 403
I meant 2 different setups:
1) TT > WA7 > HP (basic option)
2 TT > WA7 (pre-out) > AMP> Speakers

The #2 is what I’m trying to validate if the WA7 can enhance TT signal into the amp
You will need a "phono pre-amp" before the Wa7, but then yes both of those are accomplishable. Something like the schiit mani would work for you.

Correction: unless your tt has a build in phono pre, then you can go TT > Wa7

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #319 of 403
If anyone is curious - I'm A/B testing my Woo Audio WA7 3rd Gen vs. a Ferrum Erco using a Hifiman Susvara.

1) The WA7 has no issue getting the Susvara to ear-deafening volumes with plenty of head room. Power doesn't seem to be an issue at all.
2) Personally, I can't tell the difference, going between the two.

For what it's worth, Mr. Wu from Woo Audio recommended against using the WA7 for the Susvara, and suggested to use higher end models.
I just got a He1k in which uses significantly less than the Susvara and it's about 70% of my preferred volume (with everything set to max). Not calling you a liar but ear deafening for you must be much different then me.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #320 of 403
I just got a He1k in which uses significantly less than the Susvara and it's about 70% of my preferred volume (with everything set to max). Not calling you a liar but ear deafening for you must be much different then me.

Did you use the 4.4mm balanced output?

Jul 27, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #321 of 403
Did you use the 4.4mm balanced output?
Tried both 4.4mm and 6.3, both are identical in terms of how loud they will go. Was actually very surprised that it's struggling since my Arya is seemingly so much easier to drive.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #324 of 403
i was wondering if anyone have tried to connect their wa7 to an external DAC? I am considering buying a Pegasus R2R DAC and doing so. Any feedback much appreciated. Thank you
I have a first generation WA7 and the DAC it it is terrible. I feed it from a Chord DAVE and it works great.

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #325 of 403
Gents,

Pretty sure I can, but I’ll ask to play it safe: can I stream music via the WA7’s DAC input using the ifi Zen Stream?

Ifi Zen Stream via USB-A output —> WA7 DAC via USB-B input
I'm happy to report the ifi Zen Stream works well with the WA7, freeing up my phone in the process :smile_phones:

One HUGE caveat: getting this streamer to work via WiFi was painful. I had to submit a ticket to "unbrick" the device as it stopped playing music every 30-90 seconds.

The above-mentioned flaw went away with a firmware update and hard reset. Still, it's inexcusable when a WiiM streamer does the same thing for $90 (with no issues).

1692053574962.png

Aug 24, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #326 of 403
Hello all

I have a new job where I do not always have access to a power outlet. On a rolling container I can take the WA7 with a power station with me. Has anyone experience if this works? What would I have to consider with the power station to be able to listen for about 4-6h?

Aug 25, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #327 of 403
Hello all

I have a new job where I do not always have access to a power outlet. On a rolling container I can take the WA7 with a power station with me. Has anyone experience if this works? What would I have to consider with the power station to be able to listen for about 4-6h?
I wouldn’t like moving any desktop valve amp around too much. But as long as the floors are not too rough for the container it should work. Personally I would go for something a bit more portable.

As to your question Woo don’t state the power consumption of the WA7 but it is not going to be very high

Edit: actually they do state it as 25W, it was in the manual not the spec sheet. This means you don’t need a very powerful power station. For 6 hours you will need 150W of capacity so lots to chose from.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #328 of 403
I wouldn’t like moving any desktop valve amp around too much. But as long as the floors are not too rough for the container it should work. Personally I would go for something a bit more portable.

As to your question Woo don’t state the power consumption of the WA7 but it is not going to be very high

Edit: actually they do state it as 25W, it was in the manual not the spec sheet. This means you don’t need a very powerful power station. For 6 hours you will need 150W of capacity so lots to chose from.
The WA8 would be nice, but I would prefer a Pentaconn plug. The Tube Mini is too strong for the Odin. I try it with a power station, if it does not work I have not spent a lot of money.

Sep 1, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #330 of 403

Users who are viewing this thread

Back