New from Woo Audio - WA7 Fireflies (3rd Gen)
Jun 20, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #303 of 404
The Focal Clear do sound awesome on this amp, but only using the balanced output (at least for me). This is my 2nd Focal headphone (Elegia was first), and both perform better via 4.4mm cables.

In contrast, my HD800S and Klipsch HP3 don't change quite as much with balanced cables.

1687267734684.png

Jun 20, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #304 of 404
The Focal Clear do sound awesome on this amp, but only using the balanced output (at least for me). This is my 2nd Focal headphone (Elegia was first), and both perform better via 4.4mm cables.

In contrast, my HD800S and Klipsch HP3 don't change quite as much with balanced cables.

LOL also bought elegia to dip a toe into focal, quickly followed by clear, altho by my time it was clear mg.

Jun 20, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #306 of 404
I love my 3rd Gen and my son loves the second Gen. with the tube power.

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #307 of 404
where can I find WA7 gen2 or gen3 in Europe?

Jul 3, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #309 of 404
What are the sonic differences? Do you use the internal DAC or RCA?
I cannot comment on the sonic differences, but I do know that gen 3 uses different tubes that are easier to source, and has a built-in power supply (vs outboard PS on v2).

Jul 5, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #311 of 404
Hi , To connect a DAP in Line Out mode, can you use the balanced 4.4 input that I see in photo on the back of the WA7 Gen.3 ?

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #314 of 404
I just A/B's my Wa7's internal dac vs the my Mytek Liberty Dac, and I experienced the same thing. Now my dac isn't a Holo May, but I also heard the internal dac and felt it was a little fuzzy in comparison. It did not have the same amount of separation, so the imaging wasn't as pinpoint. However, If I didn't have the Mytek, I would probably never question using the internal dac. In fact, I was really enjoying it. I loved the sound, and honestly I felt like it synergized a little better with my speakers, which are more on the airy and agile side. However I am a sucker for detail, so I was pleased to hear the Mytek inserted into the chain.
Yeah, I normally get rid of or forget about equipment after a few months, but the wa7 gen 3 is still on my desk after a year. It's really a giant killer with the right setup/tubes. I don't think it's getting the attention it deserves tbh. To me, it beat the gsx mini, the Soloist 3GT, and I even preferred the wa7 over the enleum 23r. I had used the WA7 as a pre amp to my Solid state Mcintosh amplifier, but I didn't enjoy it as much as a preamp. Now all I need to do is find another pair of mullards that sound like the ones I have.

Just A/B'd again with the OG Utopia's and the Enleum and WA7, there is definitely more power and control with the Enleum, the WA7's tone was more understated, surprisingly, the Enleum added more color to the sound in a good way. I actually enjoyed the Enleum more this listen. I did change out my PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3 for a Puritan PSM156. The Puritan could be synergizing better with the Enleum and all the other components.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #315 of 404
I'm seriously considering buying the WA7 but doubting between gen2 (Mike recommendation) and gen3, I guess the 4.4bal output is not enough to go to gen 3 by itself but if I can use the pre-out as a phono pre-amp connected to my amp (NAD M33) it will be worth going for gen3, in that case I would use Vynil as main source, being the WA7 my desktop amp for HP and when listening through the speaker it will do the pre-amp job.
Has anyone, tried the gen 3 as a phono pre-amp (for a Rega. Planar P3)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back