New from Woo Audio - WA7 Fireflies (3rd Gen)
Jan 4, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #271 of 404
That is where I heard the biggest changes as well. "blows out of the water" might be a bit harsh. I think a step up or two, might be a nicer way to say it lol.
I still maintain the "blows out of the water" assessment lol.

I'm sure that's why they're so cagey about which, specifically, ESS chip they used -- it's probably a cheap one. On that note, I might be selling mine soon -- since I have a standalone DAC now anyway, I could probably get a better unit for the same price if I don't pay for another DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #272 of 404
I don't so I used it with my IEM, I also have the First gen with power tubes, and I also used it with IEMs. Especially my LCL-i4.
is still working as a dac your first gen? Mine, and several other users had dac issues with first gen, it is not recognized by pc. so, we use just the amp section with another dac in the chain. the dac itself was faulty, and woo asked 500 euro to replace it with second gen. after this experience with woo I will never buy one.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #273 of 404
I really enjoy my Fireflies, but recently upgraded to a Naim Uniti Nova for my office setup. I’d like to move my WA7’s into my bedroom and use them for gaming and TV watching.

Has anyone got a recommendation for the best way to add a Bluetooth source to the Fireflies? While I see lots of dongles, none have USB B termination, and none of the external Bluetooth receivers I see have a digital USB out.

Any recommendations that don’t entail running a wire from the TV to the WA7’s?

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #274 of 404
I don't think there is a way to have a bluetooth receiver into wa7 usb in and use it as a dac and an amplif. You can find a cable or an adapter that has ( I hope is the same in english ) an usb mother on one side and stick the bluetooth adapter in, but I don't think it will work ( please tell me if it works ). I found this, it's romanian language, but you can make an idea
res_edd228a58553922bbc0dcfdaf8ff624a.jpg

Adaptor OTG USB B mother- USB A father https://www.emag.ro/adaptor-otg-usb...&X-Section=search&X-MB=0&X-Search-Action=view

But if you want to just use the wa7 amplif you will need a bluetooth adapter that has line out ( something as Avantree AS70) and use a cable to wa7 line in.
If you want to have bluetooth out from wa7 you have to buy a bluetooth adapter that has 3.5 jack (Avantree CK210, just an example). In that case you can use wa7 as a dac and amplif.
As for tv, a bluetooth transmiter for the tv and a bluetooh receiver with line out for wa7 ( as wa7 has just line in with 2 rca), but again, you will use wa7 just as an amplif ( as I do since my wa7 gen 1 dac section is dead for several years).

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #275 of 404
I don't think there is a way to have a bluetooth receiver into wa7 usb in and use it as a dac and an amplif. You can find a cable or an adapter that has ( I hope is the same in english ) an usb mother on one side and stick the bluetooth adapter in, but I don't think it will work ( please tell me if it works ). I found this, it's romanian language, but you can make an idea
res_edd228a58553922bbc0dcfdaf8ff624a.jpg

Adaptor OTG USB B mother- USB A father https://www.emag.ro/adaptor-otg-usb...&X-Section=search&X-MB=0&X-Search-Action=view

But if you want to just use the wa7 amplif you will need a bluetooth adapter that has line out ( something as Avantree AS70) and use a cable to wa7 line in.
If you want to have bluetooth out from wa7 you have to buy a bluetooth adapter that has 3.5 jack (Avantree CK210, just an example). In that case you can use wa7 as a dac and amplif.
As for tv, a bluetooth transmiter for the tv and a bluetooh receiver with line out for wa7 ( as wa7 has just line in with 2 rca), but again, you will use wa7 just as an amplif ( as I do since my wa7 gen 1 dac section is dead for several years).

Thanks @td2004 for the thoughts. To clarify, TV has Bluetooth transmitter (out) built in. So looking to see if anyone has a BT to USB solution so I can still have the benefit of the Firefly DAC.

Most Bluetooth receivers have RCA out while a few have optical out as well. I haven’t seen any BT receivers with an USB out. So looking for alternatives.

I was hoping though someone had already tried or had recommendations for what might work.

My current thinking is to try a BT receiver intended for car audio. They have ones that have an 30 pin iPhone connector. So all I’d need physically is a cable set that goes from 30 pin iPhone to USB B. Likely via an adapter like
You linked above.

Example product from AMZN
https://a.co/d/hbDtSO0

What isn’t clear is since you “ought” to be able to plug an iPhone or Android into the Woo with a Good to Fo cable and play from your phone if this would also work.

If nobody’s done this or has other suggestions I might blow the $90USD to try.

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #276 of 404
Thanks @td2004 for the thoughts. To clarify, TV has Bluetooth transmitter (out) built in. So looking to see if anyone has a BT to USB solution so I can still have the benefit of the Firefly DAC.

Most Bluetooth receivers have RCA out while a few have optical out as well. I haven’t seen any BT receivers with an USB out. So looking for alternatives.

I was hoping though someone had already tried or had recommendations for what might work.

My current thinking is to try a BT receiver intended for car audio. They have ones that have an 30 pin iPhone connector. So all I’d need physically is a cable set that goes from 30 pin iPhone to USB B. Likely via an adapter like
You linked above.

Example product from AMZN
https://a.co/d/hbDtSO0

What isn’t clear is since you “ought” to be able to plug an iPhone or Android into the Woo with a Good to Fo cable and play from your phone if this would also work.

If nobody’s done this or has other suggestions I might blow the $90USD to try.
I haven't seen such a cable yet. Just to usb A. But you can buy the adapter( is very cheap and I'm sure it can be found in every country) . Usb B is a port not in fashion nowdays. Most producers switched to usb c (I have a fiio bta30 pro that I use as a dac between pc and wa7 gen1 with a better dac chipset and linked with my pc via usb c). Do you want to plug the phone in the wa7 usb port? I used a phone just once, but it was connected via line in and it worked.
You can also write to woo, although their product support is poor.

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #277 of 404
You can also write to woo, although their product support is poor.^^
^^ This has not been my experience - even with items which I purchased secondhand. ☑️

Feb 16, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #278 of 404
^^ This has not been my experience - even with items which I purchased secondhand. ☑️
well, good for you.You were lucky. I have gen 1 wa7, bought it brand new and I loved it. After one and a half year ( still under waranty I recall ) my pc did not recognized it. Checked on several pc. Checked several usb cables. The same issue. Asked the shop from where I've bought it. They told me the dac is faulty and woo asked for 500 euro to replace the dac with a second gen dac, this was half the price of a brand new wa7 gen 2. Asked woo over email, the same answer. They knew that the dac was faulty, I was not the only one (is an entire thread on this blog ) with that issue. They gave the same answer to everybody. In my opinion, when you, as a serious company knew about a faulty product, you recall and replace it for free. I have a fiio player, that was faulty ( not in the way that doesn't worked, but it has a suspicios sound from time to time) and they replace it the next day, same with a pair of iem. Same with sennheiser. At sennheiser, the man that did the phones quality inspection in germany called next morning and asked me about the problem. They had already talked with the shop owner, to replace the phones. Free of charge. The phones were more expensive than the wa7.
So, I bought another dac with a better chipset and use just the wa7 amplif section. It was a much cheaper and faster solution. Some guys replaced the dac chipset themselves.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #279 of 404
is still working as a dac your first gen? Mine, and several other users had dac issues with first gen, it is not recognized by pc. so, we use just the amp section with another dac in the chain. the dac itself was faulty, and woo asked 500 euro to replace it with second gen. after this experience with woo I will never buy one.
My first gen DAC still works but it is pretty poor DAC. I just use the amp fed from an external DAC. That works very nicely.
42A6A1A3-FD4F-4E27-BA93-934A7919DC25.jpeg

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #282 of 404
Anybody looking to sell their 3rd gen WA7? Looking to buy.
I just saw one in the classifieds recently for a decent price.

Edit:
Never mind, it just sold

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #284 of 404
$1050 was the most recent listing.
I just repaired my speaker amp, I needed to re-solder the binding post. I love using this unit as a pre-amp, balanced, to my topping pa5. I almost never listen to my desktop speakers without it anymore. This is one of the real value's of this device.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #285 of 404

Users who are viewing this thread

Back