New from Woo Audio - WA7 Fireflies (3rd Gen)
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #137 of 403
Anybody run this amp with a Diana phi? The guys at abyss say it’s a good pair but idk how much I trust their opinion since they sell both products.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #138 of 403
Anybody run this amp with a Diana phi? The guys at abyss say it’s a good pair but idk how much I trust their opinion since they sell both products.
If Abyss says it's a good pairing, I would think that ends the discussion. For better/optimal pairings you could ask in the Abyss threads here to see what people decided on and why.

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #139 of 403
If Abyss says it's a good pairing, I would think that ends the discussion. For better/optimal pairings you could ask in the Abyss threads here to see what people decided on and why.
Abyss sell the woo products as well so I’m not sure exactly how subjective they are.

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #140 of 403
Abyss sell the woo products as well so I’m not sure exactly how subjective they are.
I think it's not a valid comparison. Abyss makes Abyss headphones and that is their main product. They are a retailer of Woo and maybe some other stuff, but that doesn't matter. Their reputation is not going to be affected except by the quality of their products, the ones with their name on them, and the service they give to their customers.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #141 of 403
I think it's not a valid comparison. Abyss makes Abyss headphones and that is their main product. They are a retailer of Woo and maybe some other stuff, but that doesn't matter. Their reputation is not going to be affected except by the quality of their products, the ones with their name on them, and the service they give to their customers.

Im just saying that if I’m selling a particular product on my site and doing a promotional video about it I’m probably not going to be very inclined to mention any negative aspects. I like the abyss guys and watch a bunch of stuff on their channel but since there seems to be a mild conflict of interest so I was just hoping to get some forum members opinions on how it performs with difficult to drive or amp picky headphones.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #142 of 403
Im just saying that if I’m selling a particular product on my site and doing a promotional video about it I’m probably not going to be very inclined to mention any negative aspects. I like the abyss guys and watch a bunch of stuff on their channel but since there seems to be a mild conflict of interest so I was just hoping to get some forum members opinions on how it performs with difficult to drive or amp picky headphones.
I hear you, but I think it's untenable to suggest that they would risk the reputation of their own products to recommend anything that doesn't cast their products in a good light. If they never sell another Woo amp that won't have any effect on their reputation, their business is making high-end headphones.

Anyway, I suggested a bit earlier to ask on the Abyss threads. It is unlikely that many Abyss customers are running them off WA7s.

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #143 of 403
I hear you, but I think it's untenable to suggest that they would risk the reputation of their own products to recommend anything that doesn't cast their products in a good light. If they never sell another Woo amp that won't have any effect on their reputation, their business is making high-end headphones.

Anyway, I suggested a bit earlier to ask on the Abyss threads. It is unlikely that many Abyss customers are running them off WA7s.
You make some pretty reasonable arguments and I think you are probably right. Thank you for offering your perspective.

Jan 18, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #144 of 403
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #145 of 403
Curious if anyone's compared the sound profile of the 3rd gen and 2nd gen (which also uses an ESS Sabre DAC... OP needs correcting) with stock tubes. Probably a very subtle difference, but I'm interested in any and all impressions nonetheless. Power-wise, my 2nd gen Fireflies seem to drive my ZMF Eikons just as well as my Violectric V200.

The biggest problem with the 2nd Gen is the relative lack of availability of the tubes. I worry that one day the 6C45 tubes will become impossible to find. I should probably stock up. I've already noticed that Woo has sold out of the Electro Harmonix Gold-pin upgrade tubes... will they ever be back in stock?!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #146 of 403
Curious if anyone's compared the sound profile of the 3rd gen and 2nd gen (which also uses an ESS Sabre DAC... OP needs correcting) with stock tubes. Probably a very subtle difference, but I'm interested in any and all impressions nonetheless. Power-wise, my 2nd gen Fireflies seem to drive my ZMF Eikons just as well as my Violectric V200.

The biggest problem with the 2nd Gen is the relative lack of availability of the tubes. I worry that one day the 6C45 tubes will become impossible to find. I should probably stock up. I've already noticed that Woo has sold out of the Electro Harmonix Gold-pin upgrade tubes... will they ever be back in stock?!

I’m interested in the difference too. The 6c45 are tough to get. I managed to poach a pair that someone had listed with their wa7 after a couple days of hunting for them. There’s a few other types but the EH gold pins are almost nonexistent right now. Woo does show a matched set of 4 available for like $350 iirc other than that your best bet is to snag them off other wa7 owners when the opportunity presents itself.

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #147 of 403
Hey there!

I just got a WA7 3rd Gen and seeking help :smile: . It's an absolutely beautiful device. However I experience a lot of noise when using my IEMs. The product page on the website says "Ultra-low noise for sensitive IEMs" which I can definitely not confirm. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner on my IEMs when nothing is played. I can even hear it clearly while the music is playing. I ordered new tubes to see if it will improve the situation. I read in this thread that I should try to avoid electrical devices surrounding it? I'll do a full test turning all surrounding devices of except the WA7 as soon as my tubes come. Do you have other ideas?

1643142781774.png

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #148 of 403
My experience is like yours but mine disappeared when I moved a router. I never had the problem with the second Gen WA7.

Woo did replace my tubes once and the noise was lower.

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #149 of 403
Hey there!

I just got a WA7 3rd Gen and seeking help :smile: . It's an absolutely beautiful device. However I experience a lot of noise when using my IEMs. The product page on the website says "Ultra-low noise for sensitive IEMs" which I can definitely not confirm. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner on my IEMs when nothing is played. I can even hear it clearly while the music is playing. I ordered new tubes to see if it will improve the situation. I read in this thread that I should try to avoid electrical devices surrounding it? I'll do a full test turning all surrounding devices of except the WA7 as soon as my tubes come. Do you have other ideas?

Try it with the Wi-Fi router turned off and see if there is a difference. Try it in different areas of your house see if that makes a difference. Depending on the quality of the electrical power supplied that could effect it too so I would recommend a decent audio grade power strip with a noise filter to plug into.

Jan 26, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #150 of 403
Try it with the Wi-Fi router turned off and see if there is a difference. Try it in different areas of your house see if that makes a difference. Depending on the quality of the electrical power supplied that could effect it too so I would recommend a decent audio grade power strip with a noise filter to plug into.
Thanks for the feedback. I tried disconnecting all electric devices in my room and only connected the WA7 to the power supply. I didn't even connect an input cable, still heavy noise. Ordered some tubes yesterday, will check again when they arrive. I still hope the tubes are faulty. Because the noise sounds not like a standard amp noise, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I'll also try to move the device around at home, but I think my room is already the least infected room regarding electrical interference (no wifi or other wireless devices and far away from the router).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back