New from Weiss - the DAC 204 IN STOCK A TTVJAudio.com
Aug 31, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #91 of 236
Interesting feedback, how do you compare the 204 soundstage depth and holographic with the gustard x26? I am using the gustard r26 and soundstage depth is far behind the loudspeakers.
Certainly more depth than the X26Pro but then again that DAC isn't known for superb soundstage depth and it isn't an R2R like the R26. All I can say is Gustards are really great DAC's for their price point, but the 204 is another league and as I mentioned above no need for DDC's, OCXO's and chasing BNC cables that sound the best as I've seen some owners do.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #92 of 236
Certainly more depth than the X26Pro but then again that DAC isn't known for superb soundstage depth and it isn't an R2R like the R26. All I can say is Gustards are really great DAC's for their price point, but the 204 is another league and as I mentioned above no need for DDC's, OCXO's and chasing BNC cables that sound the best as I've seen some owners do.
Im chasing the BNC because the SPDIF/BNC on the sample model Steve got was 50Ohm...
1693432316736.png

Can you check yours?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #94 of 236
I asked Mr Weiss and he replied it is 75ohm. I can measure mine later but have little reason to question Daniel.
The one on the picture is not.

The one on there official site is

The one on the picture is from Steve Huff review in the gaarden

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #95 of 236
Can you please take a picture of the BNC connector on your DAC204?

And is it really up there in sound vs Chord Dave or other expensive dacs you may have tried/owned?
Attached is a pic of the BNC connector. It's an output only (not an input).

I have never heard a Chord Dave. The best DAC I've had in my system is a Holo May KTE, and I'd say the 204 is different, but comparable in quality.

With my USB sources, both DACs sound better to me when using these boxes (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...st_main.5.12e21802SFfHTe&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa) and quality transceivers with a quality cable. I saw a post by @Dandoudou about these boxes (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aliexpress-cables.963919/page-255#post-17641225), gave them a try, and think they're great.

Attachments

• IMG_2693.jpeg
    IMG_2693.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #96 of 236
Attached is a pic of the BNC connector. It's an output only (not an input).

I have never heard a Chord Dave. The best DAC I've had in my system is a Holo May KTE, and I'd say the 204 is different, but comparable in quality.

With my USB sources, both DACs sound better to me when using these boxes (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...st_main.5.12e21802SFfHTe&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa) and quality transceivers with a quality cable. I saw a post by @Dandoudou about these boxes (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aliexpress-cables.963919/page-255#post-17641225), gave them a try, and think they're great.
thanks 75Ohm right there :)

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #97 of 236
Are those usb over optical connection or something I have seen them before as you metioned

Sep 1, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #98 of 236
Sep 1, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #99 of 236
thanks 75Ohm right there :)
You're welcome.

If I remember correctly, Schiit accidentally used 50 ohm connectors in a small number of early Yggdrasils. I had one. When I eventually sent my DAC to Schiit for upgrades (maybe a new analog board at the time and/or a USB board), I asked them to change the connector to 75 ohm, and they did.

Sep 1, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #100 of 236
You're welcome.

If I remember correctly, Schiit accidentally used 50 ohm connectors in a small number of early Yggdrasils. I had one. When I eventually sent my DAC to Schiit for upgrades (maybe a new analog board at the time and/or a USB board), I asked them to change the connector to 75 ohm, and they did.
Thats what I thought they rushed the first batch😊👍

Im still trying to wrap my head around why they combined two products in this way. DDC and DAC.

AES/XLR out but input is another format(rca tos)
Am I suppose to buy a XLR to RCA for a AES connection?

Im getting the 501 for audition because of the delay. No where on the website does it state that it os actually exactly same DAC “stage” as the 501. Is it?

Sep 1, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #101 of 236
Thats what I thought they rushed the first batch😊👍

Im still trying to wrap my head around why they combined two products in this way. DDC and DAC.

AES/XLR out but input is another format(rca tos)
Am I suppose to buy a XLR to RCA for a AES connection?

Im getting the 501 for audition because of the delay. No where on the website does it state that it os actually exactly same DAC “stage” as the 501. Is it?
I really don't know. I have never heard the 501 or any other Weiss DAC.

Also, I haven't tried the DDC part yet. I'm not sure it really makes sense for me, because I can't say that I have a DAC that's "better" than the 204 (to connect it to)... But I'll try it one of these days.

Sep 11, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #102 of 236
I just got my DAC205 about two weeks ago.

The reason I didn’t choose the DAC204 is that I hardly use USB and I don’t need DSD to PCM conversion.

The DAC205 is excellent on its own, providing transparent and accurate sound with plenty of spatial details.

The compact size is particularly great for office Hi-Fi setups.

One thing I have to mention is that the power supply unit (PSU) makes a difference! Investing in a better PSU will really make the DAC204/205 shine.

with better psu it is way better than hugo2 level stuff....

微信图片_20230911172115.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back