New from Weiss - the DAC 204 IN STOCK A TTVJAudio.com
May 24, 2023 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 236

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
HI All,

The newest creation from the Swiss company Weiss is now in stock at TTVJAudio.com. The Weiss DAC 204 is a more affordable way to get into an outstanding Weiss DAC. Price $2895

weissdac2041.jpg

weissdac204rear.jpg

The DAC204 is the most versatile and affordable USB DAC offered by Weiss. It can be permanently connected to multiple digital units and the user can easily switch between them with the front-mounted Input Selector switch.

The DAC204 has three digital inputs; USB, Toslink and S/PDIF and two analog outputs; balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA. It accepts all standard sampling frequencies from PCM 44.1kHz up to 384 kHz plus DSD 64x and 128x, and it can convert DSD to PCM. It employs no less than four oversampling sigma-delta D/A converters per channel, operated in parallel for enhanced signal-to-noise performance. Several signal reclocking schemes are combined for a high jitter attenuation.

An external power supply is included with the unit. All sensitive voltages have their own linear regulators. The result is an analog output free of “digital noise” and channel crosstalk. The DAC204 delivers a clean, neutral presentation with a high degree of musical integrity and excellent detail and separation of instruments.

The DAC204 is housed in a simple black chassis with a silver faceplate and delivers outstanding sonic performance for the money.

Call us to order at 406-285-3910 or order online here!

Todd

May 25, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 236
HI All,

The newest creation from the Swiss company Weiss is now in stock at TTVJAudio.com. The Weiss DAC 204 is a more affordable way to get into an outstanding Weiss DAC. Price $2895

weissdac2041.jpg

weissdac204rear.jpg

The DAC204 is the most versatile and affordable USB DAC offered by Weiss. It can be permanently connected to multiple digital units and the user can easily switch between them with the front-mounted Input Selector switch.

The DAC204 has three digital inputs; USB, Toslink and S/PDIF and two analog outputs; balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA. It accepts all standard sampling frequencies from PCM 44.1kHz up to 384 kHz plus DSD 64x and 128x, and it can convert DSD to PCM. It employs no less than four oversampling sigma-delta D/A converters per channel, operated in parallel for enhanced signal-to-noise performance. Several signal reclocking schemes are combined for a high jitter attenuation.

An external power supply is included with the unit. All sensitive voltages have their own linear regulators. The result is an analog output free of “digital noise” and channel crosstalk. The DAC204 delivers a clean, neutral presentation with a high degree of musical integrity and excellent detail and separation of instruments.

The DAC204 is housed in a simple black chassis with a silver faceplate and delivers outstanding sonic performance for the money.

Call us to order at 406-285-3910 or order online here!

Todd
As I read in the manual:
Toslink is limited to 96khz instead of 192khz.

-No Toslink output.

- Sample rates above 192khz are downsampled with usb.

- it also looks ugly in my opinion.

It is a Basic DAC that sounds good. There are many other Dacs that can do more and sound just as good.

$2895? Cmon man…

May 25, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 236
All your points are valid except this.

You have no idea how this DAC sounds or if competing DAC's in the 3k price range are just as good.
That's true
but I have heard other weiss DACs and know how they sound (neutral and transparent). However, if I only go by the published measurements, this DAC is not better than others.

When I say "good sound" I always mean transparent and low distortion + Noise with linear frequency, phase and sharp impulse response. I am not talking about "Warm" or "Tubey" sounding DACs that gives colour.

A well engineered DAC is not Black Magic. An ADI-2 Pro, Benchmark or Prism converter, even a Topping sound just as good.

With these DACs you can even change the interpolation filters, which can dramatically change the sound. I strongly assume that the Weiss DAC has a industry standard Sharp filter integrated, which you can partly tell from the published measurements.

Of course, customer service and durability also play a role. This is very good with Weiss products, but does the 3k justify this in these modern times?

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 236
Wow. It’s like they budgeted $5 for the case design and materials 😂

Audiophiles are very heavily influenced by aesthetics and at nearly $3K I wonder how many people will want this in their listening space?

They have a chance of a number of reviewers ( salespeople) gush about its magical sound qualities otherwise it’s going to be a big flop.

May 25, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 236
As I read in the manual:
Toslink is limited to 96khz instead of 192khz.

-No Toslink output.

- Sample rates above 192khz are downsampled with usb.

- it also looks ugly in my opinion.

It is a Basic DAC that sounds good. There are many other Dacs that can do more and sound just as good.

$2895? Cmon man…

But....Free shipping :wink:

Jun 7, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 236
Hi All,

I waited until I cooled off a bit to respond to those of you who took the opportunity to give your opinions sans experience with the product.

Once again, I announce a new product in MY sponsor thread and people come in and, without any knowledge of the product try to crap on it.

One, Daniel Weiss is a highly acclaimed DAC designer and has won a Grammy for technical excellence. His designs are used to produce much of the music you listen to.

This DAC sounds fantastic - almost on par with the DAC501 and DAC502 for far less money. You comment without even hearing it. Sonically is is clean, accurate and detailed with excellent transparency, a large soundstage and dynamic, realistic sound...

Sure the case is not beautiful but the sound is. Frankly, I buy gear that sounds excellent. The components within are top notch making it sonically beautiful.

Here is a link to another forum where they are talking about it... maybe you will learn something from people who have heard it.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/weiss-dac204.36696/ ... Steve Huff review

I really hope people don't come into your workplace and badmouth your work and talk poorly of your products/the job you do the way you just did to me.

Anyway, I stand firmly behind the Weiss DAC204 and think it is an awesome DAC and one of the best sounding high end DACs currently available for under $5k.

Todd

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 236
The DAC 502 remains the smoothest, cleanest, most transparent DAC I've ever heard.

Naysayers should ask themselves: if Weiss is trying to offer sound anywhere near the zip-code that 502 resides in—but at a reduced price—where do we want them to cut costs to make that happen?

Would we rather they use significantly cheaper components, massively widen production tolerances, remove tons of features, but keep the box the same?

Or would you rather they scale down the aesthetic costs and prioritize spending most of the budget on sonic performance?

If we want cheaper products, there has to be compromise. In my opinion, it makes so much more sense to cut aesthetic costs where it doesn't effect the sound of the product, especially when you're a brand particularly well known for excellent sonic performance.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 236
Hi @Todd .
How does the Weiss Dac 204 compare to something like the Teac UD-701N sound quality wise? I understand that they are at a different price range, but the difference is justified by the additional preamp-streamer-headphone amp functionality of the Teac.

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #14 of 236
The DAC 502 remains the smoothest, cleanest, most transparent DAC I've ever heard.

Naysayers should ask themselves: if Weiss is trying to offer sound anywhere near the zip-code that 502 resides in—but at a reduced price—where do we want them to cut costs to make that happen?

Would we rather they use significantly cheaper components, massively widen production tolerances, remove tons of features, but keep the box the same?

Or would you rather they scale down the aesthetic costs and prioritize spending most of the budget on sonic performance?

If we want cheaper products, there has to be compromise. In my opinion, it makes so much more sense to cut aesthetic costs where it doesn't effect the sound of the product, especially when you're a brand particularly well known for excellent sonic performance.

This is exactly right. Some want the same boards/engineering as the ultra high end product but in a cheap case and reduced feature set, for less money.

I don't use USB input or listen to DSD, so the Weiss DAC205 at $1700 is an even better option than the DAC204 at $2800.

If these 2 products can have the same core sound as the DAC 500 series but made available at those prices that is awesome.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 236
Wow. It’s like they budgeted $5 for the case design and materials 😂

Audiophiles are very heavily influenced by aesthetics and at nearly $3K I wonder how many people will want this in their listening space?

They have a chance of a number of reviewers ( salespeople) gush about its magical sound qualities otherwise it’s going to be a big flop.
idk, its not like audiophiles dont buy plain Jane dacs or amps from other manufacturers...lots of plain boxes out there at similar price points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back