New from Weiss - the DAC 204 IN STOCK A TTVJAudio.com
Sep 19, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #136 of 236
From my reading, Weiss dacs have their own unique filters and algorithms and I would assume that the 204 follows the same. Such as upsampling to 195khz. It does not make sense not to use their own.
From the DAC204 product page:

"The DAC204 and DAC205 are relatively affordable options to Weiss Engineering’s higher-grade units such as the DAC501 and the HELIOS. They do not have the onboard digital processing capabilities of those units, nor do they include headphone outputs or remote controls."

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #137 of 236
The 204 is about 1/3 of the cost of a 501 for one thing. Lower end chip? lol. The 9018S is a $35usd chip when purchased in quantities. The 9038Pro is $63usd and the specs are only marginally better if they are even audible. I have a 204 and it blows my U18 DDC+X26Pro(both with sr purples) and OCXO into the weeds. That's a great sounding setup but just it can't match the 204.
I don't give a crap about measurements. All I know is my 204 still in the burn in process (and still with the cheapo SMPS) has micro detail, bass, and overall soundstage and dynamics that can't be matched by the X26Pro with it's 2 9038Pro chips, a DDC and master clock.
Another reviewer who spent significant time with the 501 indicated the 204 has the same Weiss sound as if it's coming off a master tape as the 501/502. Which also, BTW, don't have 9038Pro chips either. I don't see anyone bemoaning the fact those $10k+ DAC's don't have 9038Pro chips.
I listen with my ears not scopes or measurements and the 204 is a keeper to my ears. Weiss does better with a 'lesser' chip than others with a more costlier chip(s). There's a reason Daniel Weiss won a grammy for his design work. Luckily I got mine at the original price but unfortunately with the 204 price increase last month I can see where it is now less desirable to some especially if they fret over not having a 9038pro chip.
Do you know if your 204 has the 02010 or the 02023 DAC board inside?

Matt

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #138 of 236
A
From the DAC204 product page:

"The DAC204 and DAC205 are relatively affordable options to Weiss Engineering’s higher-grade units such as the DAC501 and the HELIOS. They do not have the onboard digital processing capabilities of those units, nor do they include headphone outputs or remote controls."
It is easy to read and quote from the product page. But it needs a bit of understanding. Yes, 204 dont have the DSP, headphone out and remote. But it does not mean it is a basic ESS implementation.

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #139 of 236
A

It is easy to read and quote from the product page. But it needs a bit of understanding. Yes, 204 dont have the DSP, headphone out and remote. But it does not mean it is a basic ESS implementation.
What constitutes a 'basic' implementation can be debated. The point is it's not using the custom filtering/DSP that the 502 uses

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #141 of 236
What constitutes a 'basic' implementation can be debated. The point is it's not using the custom filtering/DSP that the 502 uses
Yes, It does not have the DSP capabilities of the 50X such as De-Essing, Room EQ etc.

But the 204 is the same dac board as the 50X mk1 and I would assume that it also has the same programming of the latter. That it upsamples all audio to 195khz and applies Weiss’s filtering. Not just a basic ESS implementation that you claim it to be.

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #142 of 236
Yes, It does not have the DSP capabilities of the 50X such as De-Essing, Room EQ etc.

But the 204 is the same dac board as the 50X mk1 and I would assume that it also has the same programming of the latter. That it upsamples all audio to 195khz and applies Weiss’s filtering. Not just a basic ESS implementation that you claim it to be.
That does not appear to be the case based on both the product page and the filter response seen in the measurements.
We would have to wait for internal images to be sure. (If someone here is happy to quickly open theirs that'd be awesome)

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #144 of 236
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #145 of 236
You can see inside pictures here on page 2 of the review. But it shows the first old board before the price increase.
https://www.hifistatement.net/tests/item/3675-weiss-dac204-und-psu102
The new board you can see here:
https://weiss.ch/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/OEM_Brochure_extended_digital.pdf

Matt
From the brochure:

"The 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz sampling frequency signals are conveyed untouched"

Then being fed directly to the ESS chip. ie: no further digital processing. As the product page states @Papaw

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #146 of 236
The unit in the measurements was a brand new demo unit from Weiss. They where kind enough to let me demo it in my setup for a few weeks. Weiss is a local company to where I live and I picked it up from Mr. Weiss in person. Very nice guy btw :). Since it was a demo unit I didn't open it up but since it was just a few weeks ago and they just finished putting it together I'd be tempted to say it was with the newer board. But can't confirm unfortunately since the unit is back with Weiss now.

Hearing the DAC204 in my setup (I was running a Holo Spring 3 KTE at that point) I was very pleasantly surprised by the sound. Very punchy sound with excellent treble resolution without being harsh. Overall just a very enjoyable sound and a welcome change to Spring 3. The one thing where Spring 3 had the edge though was mostly noticeable in the staging. Imaging was superb on the Weiss but the overall stage size, depth and also timbre sounded more natural on Spring 3 in comparison. But since I also liked a lot about the sound with the DAC204 in my system I decided it was probably time to at least evaluate a DAC change. Luckily I was going to @GoldenOne place for a private meet and Canjam where I had the opportunity to compare the DAC204 side by side with the Ferrum Wandla - both connected to Zähl HM1 with Susvara.
It was pretty quickly clear to me that I preferred the Wandla even more. Overall a bit more natural sounding and especially the staging blew me away - especially when using the integrated HQPlayer filters.
I'm very glad to have been able to compare them side by side. But in the end I decided to go with the Wandla. Which now in the end made me sell my Spring 3 and I couldn't be happier with the change. They are all great DACs and it also comes down to preference and the rest of the setup. For me the Wandla with an overall preferred sound for my personal preference and all its features on top (HQPlayer filters, preamp, Arc, display, remote etc.) , at a better price point just made it a very compelling package for me.

1695152520192.png

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #147 of 236
It's fine but personally I would take various much cheaper options over it.
If still happy to spend a decent chunk the Ferrum WANDLA was noticeably better
i bought this dac thinking there might be something speical with their 9018 implementation...given ur test, it seem they really just use everything within 9018s it self.....damn
my unit even come with a color faded pcb board.

well sound wise its still good however.....value wise

Sep 20, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #150 of 236
I do not know for sure as I have not opened it up but I highly suspect it is 02023 board as this is a newer unit from a recent Weiss shipment last month.
Just in case you paid the later higher price I would like to be sure to have also the newer and better 02023 board. There is no reason to pay the higher price for the old 02010 board.

Matt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back