NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Feb 1, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #841 of 974
So I received my Yaxi protein leather pads today. So far, 2 hours of listening. The sound changes are mostly positive. The sound-stage is no doubt wider. The bass stayed the same as stock, with maybe 1 db or 2 lower in the mid-bass. The mids seem 2 db lower and the treble seems 1/2 or 1 db higher. All in all...very very difficult to notice a huge difference as far as frequency goes. The biggest difference is in the mids, but it was less drastic than the Dekoni pads or the ZMF Eikon pads. But the sound-stage and comfort differences are fantastic. To make up for the differences, I had an extra wore out old pair of stock TH610 pads that I saved and I cut out the attenuation ring and put that in my yaxi pads. So far, I am going to keep these pads on for a few more days to see if I notice anymore nuances and differences. By the way, the fact these arrived from Japan less than a week later is highly impressive, given the weather we've had here in Ohio. :)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #842 of 974
No audio Nirvana unfortunately. I was surprised magnetic flux these are rated 1 Tesla.
Sweet cups, i enjoy rubbing them :p

Umm, well I can tell these are smooth. Not much WOW factor. Very inoffensive and polite. Bass can get a little boomy on certain tracks, but usually well behaved. Vocals somewhat accurate, but not the be all end all. Better than x00 IMO overall tuning/tonality.No offensive biting treble with some sparkle.

A B+/A- in my books 7.9- 8.1/10

I listened to a lot of Chris Isaak songs for some odd reason on this. I enjoyed the songs. Passed my hip hop test.

Not the magical cans for Roy Orbison or Jewel though; in saying that still good, very good. Just doesn't beat my DT48A on vintage amp for magical vocals.

Very happy with detachable cables.

Considering open mod in future, if i can get some 500rp cups :D but i will enjoy woodies for a bit

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #843 of 974
No audio Nirvana unfortunately. I was surprised magnetic flux these are rated 1 Tesla.
Sweet cups, i enjoy rubbing them :p

Umm, well I can tell these are smooth. Not much WOW factor. Very inoffensive and polite. Bass can get a little boomy on certain tracks, but usually well behaved. Vocals somewhat accurate, but not the be all end all. Better than x00 IMO overall tuning/tonality.No offensive biting treble with some sparkle.

A B+/A- in my books 7.9- 8.1/10

I listened to a lot of Chris Isaak songs for some odd reason on this. I enjoyed the songs. Passed my hip hop test.

Not the magical cans for Roy Orbison or Jewel though; in saying that still good, very good. Just doesn't beat my DT48A on vintage amp for magical vocals.

Very happy with detachable cables.

Considering open mod in future, if i can get some 500rp cups :D but i will enjoy woodies for a bit

Interesting that you like them more than X00, because the 610 are better in terms of build quality, removeable cables etc. I do find the treble a bit harsh on the X00, maybe I should try some 610's as a possible replacement for the X00. I guess it would be possible to do the Lawton mod on the 610 as well?

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #844 of 974
Hmm although I just looked at the innerfidelity review, this is Tylls comment from the X00 over the 610 "Ahhhh. So nice and smooth after the TH610; the TH-X00 is clearly a more refined sound", interesting how everyone's opinion of audio is so different! But I do normally agree with what Tyll says (said).

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #845 of 974
Interesting that you like them more than X00, because the 610 are better in terms of build quality, removeable cables etc. I do find the treble a bit harsh on the X00, maybe I should try some 610's as a possible replacement for the X00. I guess it would be possible to do the Lawton mod on the 610 as well?

What’s better on the 610 vs the X00 in terms of build quality? It seems they are all the same exact headphone besides the wood cup, rear driver treatment or in the case of the 900 the driver has a stronger motor. Headband, yokes, middle frame are all the same.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #846 of 974
What’s better on the 610 vs the X00 in terms of build quality? It seems they are all the same exact headphone besides the wood cup, rear driver treatment or in the case of the 900 the driver has a stronger motor. Headband, yokes, middle frame are all the same.

Yes I was typing quickly without thinking, I meant the removable cables not the build quality.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #847 of 974
Hmm although I just looked at the innerfidelity review, this is Tylls comment from the X00 over the 610 "Ahhhh. So nice and smooth after the TH610; the TH-X00 is clearly a more refined sound", interesting how everyone's opinion of audio is so different! But I do normally agree with what Tyll says (said).

Yes, i watched that review plenty of times. The one x00 i am mentioning is a purpleheart. Anyway these woods make no difference really. When Sony made their special cup, it was a super complex shape and parts of it were so thin, they would vibrate like a concert hall or whatever.
Fostex was not able to make this shape, but allowed to use their biodyna recipe. Or so the tale goes, Japanese headphone mysteries.

Anyway, the x00 is nothing special to write home about. I thought the purpleheart wood cups felt a bit cheap and it was too v shaped. Smooth/Refined is not a word I would use for it. Boomy and slightly offensive yes with somewhat satisfying mids.
The 610 is smooth relatively speaking.

They are both good phones, but they have lot of issues too. I don't want to bash on them. Its good for a good listen and a "fun time" but in the context of fidelity, they have their shortcomings.

Don't get me wrong, I like them. But on this site everything is relative to the goal of perfection so.... :p

I rated the TH610 7.9-8.1/10. I'd give the x00 something like 7.6-8.0/10 depending on the day.

Satisfied yes. Heavenly, magical, no.

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #848 of 974
If any one of you uses Apple Music/iTunes, this EQ setting really opens up the mids nicely, while adding a bit more bass impact and decreasing upper treble slightly resulting in a more relaxed and clearer sounding headphone. I don't usually like using EQ but TH-610 respond really well to EQ so maybe it's worth using it this time.

Winner!

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #849 of 974
Hey I just got a pair of TH610s and love them. Except for the pads. I don't mind EQing but since I wear glasses I wanted something memory foam so I was looking at ZMF Eikons or Oris. I'm leaning towards Oris with possibly picking up the Dekoni attenuation rings as some found they match well witht he Oris. I bought these for my electronic and hip hop collection as I have Sennheiser HD 650 and 660s for most of my music.

So...any help would be appreciated! I see lots of information on the Massdrops but these are different so hopefully you guys have info.

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #851 of 974
I've spent some more time with these and Sonarworks Studio Reference.
I looked at the correction curves, and tried to mimic them on APO 1.2, and I came somewhat close, but I discovered something.
610frqcrtn.jpg
610frqcrtn2.jpg

If you see between the 5-8k, the APO is not able to mimic accurately the corrected curved from Sonarworks Studio Reference. I compressed the 2nd pic to make it closer to the Sonarworks corrected graph.

In conclusion, the correction curves really do help, especially from the Studio Reference by Sonarworks, which is quite more sophisticated that I first thought.

APO will come close, but close is not close enough in precision.

This is what I am thinking atm anyway.

I was listening to Emmylou Harris, Dolly, and Rodney Crowell to give you an idea,

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #852 of 974
Hey I just got a pair of TH610s and love them. Except for the pads. I don't mind EQing but since I wear glasses I wanted something memory foam so I was looking at ZMF Eikons or Oris. I'm leaning towards Oris with possibly picking up the Dekoni attenuation rings as some found they match well witht he Oris. I bought these for my electronic and hip hop collection as I have Sennheiser HD 650 and 660s for most of my music.

So...any help would be appreciated! I see lots of information on the Massdrops but these are different so hopefully you guys have info.

I wish I came across your post back in February but I'll try to help even though I'm months late.

I bought my TH610s a couple years back and went down the rabbit hole of pad swaps. Stock ones were far too shallow but I loved the sound too much to give up easily. You're already on the right track - all you need are those ZMF Ori pads (sheepskin) and the Dekoni attenuation rings. Simply pop line up the attenuation ring openings with the Ori pad opening and with any luck you'll have a perfect fit on both sides. Re-attach using the stock plastic rings and you should find everything sorted. If you try pads with a wider opening you'll get what feels like distortion or sibilance in the treble. If you use HM5 pads things settle down but then you loose too much mid-range. Ori pads give you the best result by far but you have got to have those Dekoni ring to channel the driver output. ZMF Eikon pads almost work but they're slightly too loose. Stick to sheepskins no matter what.

ZMF Ori pads in sheepskin + those Dekoni TH610 attenuation rings should be everything you wanted. If the clamp is too loose the headband is metal so bend away to your heart's content but make sure not to accidentally put any stress on the cup assembly or hinges while doing it.

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #853 of 974
Aug 20, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #854 of 974
Aug 20, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #855 of 974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back