NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Jan 7, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #526 of 974
More and more the 610 has become a go to can for me. It really sounds much more open than I was expecting and is very enjoyable to listen to. It has that hard to describe musical quality that makes it easy to listen to.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #527 of 974
More and more the 610 has become a go to can for me. It really sounds much more open than I was expecting and is very enjoyable to listen to. It has that hard to describe musical quality that makes it easy to listen to.

Listen to this with TH-610 please. 
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #530 of 974
No they don't - they dampen ambient noise a bit and if you're listening to things, you won't hear people talk in the same room, but these really aren't suitable for public/portable use or idle noise reduction.

I don't intend to use them outside of the house. My issue it that with my he400i's, i can hear the tv over them if the track is a little quiet. Also anyone in that same room can hear absolutely everything that i listen to, not great late at night.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #531 of 974
I've found the 610 to work well at blocking a relatively quiet tv in the next room from intruding on my music. I can also listen to the headphones with my wife in the room without her really being able to hear anything. Another reason for these becoming a go to. All of this is at moderate volumes.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #532 of 974
How's the isolation on these cans? They look fully closed. 

If it isn't that good, any recommendations on earpads to improve isolation/sound quality?

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #533 of 974

If it isn't that good, any recommendations on earpads to improve isolation/sound quality?

Isolation is better than I expected, but not as good as say ATH-M50x. The 610 is not really suited to being a portable headphone, but it is much less instrusive if you are sharing living space than an open headphone would be, assuming you don't have the volume cranked. They definitely do cut down ambient noise (like furnace vent noises) to a decent degree.

I have a pair of Dekoni pads, but I don't think they change the isolation character.

Google TH-610 measurements and you can pull up Inner Fidelity's measurements showing isolation numbers. Compare those to a pair of headphones with which you are familiar.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #534 of 974
So I have some free time. Attenuation numbers Per Inner Fidelity measurements:

TH-610:
1k hz - minus 15db
10k hz - minus 30db

ATH-M50x:
1k hz - minus 18db
10k hz - minus 40db

HD-650:
1k hz - minus 0db
10k hz - minus 15db

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #535 of 974

Pads will do next to nothing since the vent is where the cup meets the frame, there is a gap all around the cup, its what also gives it the sound stage

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #536 of 974
Hi all...
I am tempted to pull the trigger on the Fostex TH-610; or maybe the Fostex TH-900 MKII. Those cans are more than twice the cost though. Some folks here had the opportunity to compare both and frankly I can't see why they would be so much more expensive. The differences in sound signature seem minute. Am I missing something?
My Beyerdynamic T1 (original) is my favorite headphone. I find it more dynamic and engaging than my HD 650, which I still like. Any T1 owners out there who could offer a comparison between the T1 and Fostex TH-610 (or Fostex TH-900 MKII)? Or maybe how the Fostex TH-610 would compare to the HE-560?
Thanks
hey there, sorry I can't make those comparisons for your, but I'll add that I'm one person like you mentioned who had had the chance to listen to both. Easy decision,I bought the 610s. Honestly, for my music preference and how easily my ears fatigue from sharp highs, I wouldn't have taken the 900s even if I was offered the same price for either set. Like in a blind listening test I'd still easily choose the 610s. Too much bass (no longer accurate) and sharp painful highs (also nowhere near being accurate).

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #537 of 974

I don't know what other guys on here think, but I really think mine leak a ton of sound. When I'm showing them off to people, I have to whisper or not talk if I'm in the same room. It makes a noticeable difference to me if I remember to turn off a space heater in the room in which I'm listening. Luckily, that's not super important to me. I am in love with mine either way

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #538 of 974
Jan 12, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #539 of 974
I couldn't listen to TH900 for more than 15 minutes due to harsh and strident treble... There were also no mids whatsoever. I can listen to TH610 without fatigue for hours. The driver is indeed very capable. It produces powerful, linear bass and it is very fast so complex and fast music sound very good. I have finally found a headphone that is almost perfect for me.

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #540 of 974
  I couldn't listen to TH900 for more than 15 minutes due to harsh and strident treble... There were also no mids whatsoever. I can listen to TH610 without fatigue for hours. The driver is indeed very capable. It produces powerful, linear bass and it is very fast so complex and fast music sound very good. I have finally found a headphone that is almost perfect for me.

I read a review that said these were harsh, especially at high volume. Do you not find this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back