NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Dec 28, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #511 of 974
What amp are you using? I've been considering Fostex's HP-4ABL.

I'm using the Elekit TU-8200 with KT-66 or KT-88 tubes in triode with a smattering of capacitor upgrades. Very happy with it, for the DIY crowd I definitely recommend it. It will pop up on sale at tubedepot now and then.

No experience with Fostex electronics. Looks like a versatile unit at a good price. I saw it only does 150mW into 32 ohms, which may be a little low for the Fostex if you have songs that are mastered more quietly. It would be plenty for most music though.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #515 of 974
Hi all...
I am tempted to pull the trigger on the Fostex TH-610; or maybe the Fostex TH-900 MKII. Those cans are more than twice the cost though. Some folks here had the opportunity to compare both and frankly I can't see why they would be so much more expensive. The differences in sound signature seem minute. Am I missing something?
My Beyerdynamic T1 (original) is my favorite headphone. I find it more dynamic and engaging than my HD 650, which I still like. Any T1 owners out there who could offer a comparison between the T1 and Fostex TH-610 (or Fostex TH-900 MKII)? Or maybe how the Fostex TH-610 would compare to the HE-560?
Thanks

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #516 of 974
  Hi all...
I am tempted to pull the trigger on the Fostex TH-610; or maybe the Fostex TH-900 MKII. Those cans are more than twice the cost though. Some folks here had the opportunity to compare both and frankly I can't see why they would be so much more expensive. The differences in sound signature seem minute. Am I missing something?
My Beyerdynamic T1 (original) is my favorite headphone. I find it more dynamic and engaging than my HD 650, which I still like. Any T1 owners out there who could offer a comparison between the T1 and Fostex TH-610 (or Fostex TH-900 MKII)? Or maybe how the Fostex TH-610 would compare to the HE-560?
Thanks

Markup is high because the 900mk2 is Fostex' TOTL model with all the fancy urushi lacquering etc going into it, so you have to consider that.
If you're not against doing a bit of DIY, you could grab a pair of TH-X00s of your choice and replace the driver with a TH-900 one from fullcompass, then experiment with dampening in the cups - might actually give you better results, particularly if you're looking at price:performance ratios.

The TH-900 is very much an heirloom-type item.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #517 of 974
  If you're not against doing a bit of DIY, you could grab a pair of TH-X00s of your choice and replace the driver with a TH-900 one from fullcompass, then experiment with dampening in the cups - might actually give you better results, particularly if you're looking at price:performance ratios.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess I am more interested in performance than "heirloom features".
I am leaning towards the Fostex TH-610 at the moment. The sound signature of the TH-X00 out-of-the-box appeals to me less; and I don't want to start with a DIY project. Can the Fostex TH-610 be updated with TH-900 drivers the same way? That might be interesting as a later project down the road.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #518 of 974
Thanks for clarifying. I guess I am more interested in performance than "heirloom features".
I am leaning towards the Fostex TH-610 at the moment. The sound signature of the TH-X00 out-of-the-box appeals to me less; and I don't want to start with a DIY project. Can the Fostex TH-610 be updated with TH-900 drivers the same way? That might be interesting as a later project down the road.

Yeah you can replace the driver pretty easily from what I've seen - the TH-610 actually has less annoying wiring inside than the old Denons and you can just keep the detachable cable solution as-is.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #519 of 974
Yeah you can replace the driver pretty easily from what I've seen - the TH-610 actually has less annoying wiring inside than the old Denons and you can just keep the detachable cable solution as-is.

That's another plus for the Fostex TH-610: the cables are detachable. Very cool. I'll keep this mod option in mind.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #524 of 974
I got the Elear and do not regret my choice at all.

Thanks for pointing me at the right direction.

Glad you're happy with them. 
smile.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #525 of 974
TH-610 sounds excellent indeed... It's easy to drive, has balanced sound with great bass that doesn't have sub-bass roll-off, great for movies and games as well as music. I like that it takes EQ really well. I increase bass in pop, hiphop, edm and turn off EQ in classical and acoustic music. It doesn't sound closed at all, not more than HD700 for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back