NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Dec 13, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #496 of 974
  Great advice, I for one found the Nighthawks a bit strange sounding and the definition of "veiled", to me the HD-650 was a bit brighter compared to the Nighthawks.

Right on, thanks to everyone for the advice above.  I found a great deal on some barely used Massdrop X00s and just pulled the trigger on them today.  Stoked that I'm getting them at a discount and without having to wait!  Definitely still want to try the Nighthawks down the road though.  I have relatively limited experience with headphones, but enough to know that I prefer colorful, "musical", bass heavy headphones more than neutral ones...for now!

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #497 of 974
  Right on, thanks for the direct comparison there, was not expecting to hear that.  I guess the 610 maybe has more potential with eq and amping then.  It **sounds** like Fostex took away some of the low end on the 610 vs the 600 for a more balanced signature that will appeal more to the audiophile crowd.

As someone who has tried both the 610 and X2, the X2 actually has more bass. But worse bass IMO, slower, kind of muffled compared to the 610.

Fostex isn't famous for midbasst boost. X2 has that, it has sub-bass roll off actually. Fostex is famous for its sub-bass extension and sub-bass impact. I haven't received TH610 yet (problem with the seller) but I heard TH900 before, it has less midbass than X2 but much more sub-bass. This results in a faster, quicker and drier bass response. It depends on what you like in the end. If you like wet bass (more midbass quantity than sub-bass) you'd prefer X2, HD650 or Oppo PM-3. If you like precise, dry bass and linear, solid bass response, you'd like Fostex headphones. That said I haven't heard TH610 yet I may not know what I'm talking about. TH-X00 has more midbass to have a everyone pleasing sound signature like Fidelio X2 but TH900 and 600 aren't like that.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #498 of 974
Has anybody compared TH-610 to TH-X00? Do they share the same drivers and sound very similar? I'm considering to sell my TH-X00 (Mahogany) and get TH-610 instead because of removable cables (and possibly better build quality).

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #499 of 974
  Has anybody compared TH-610 to TH-X00? Do they share the same drivers and sound very similar? I'm considering to sell my TH-X00 (Mahogany) and get TH-610 instead because of removable cables (and possibly better build quality).

The 610 has pads with bigger holes, more subbass extension and the treble is not as pronounced - I think I heard somebody say the soundstage might be bigger as well, but I can't say anything about that aspect.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #500 of 974
Does anyone have any links they can share for either:

1. Somewhere I can by a shorter less cumbersome compatible cable that can be used on the 610's, preferably ending in a 3.5mm.  For what it's worth I cannot currently justify (to myself or my wife
bigsmile_face.gif
) paying another $200 for a cable, I'm looking for something more reasonably priced.
2. Wisdom on shortening this cable myself?  Am I stupid to try to simply clip and splice in a different end connector at 4 feet in instead of the full 10 it comes with?  I've extended / shortened plenty of wires, just never attempted to do so on a $500 pair of headphones...

Many thanks!

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #501 of 974
  Does anyone have any links they can share for either:

1. Somewhere I can by a shorter less cumbersome compatible cable that can be used on the 610's, preferably ending in a 3.5mm.  For what it's worth I cannot currently justify (to myself or my wife
bigsmile_face.gif
) paying another $200 for a cable, I'm looking for something more reasonably priced.
2. Wisdom on shortening this cable myself?  Am I stupid to try to simply clip and splice in a different end connector at 4 feet in instead of the full 10 it comes with?  I've extended / shortened plenty of wires, just never attempted to do so on a $500 pair of headphones...

Many thanks!

I read somewhere on here that some of the Sennheiser cords are compatible, so that's probably a good place to start.

But if you wanna shorten it, there's probably some good information regarding this on one of the THX00 threads since that cable is 9' and not detachable.  Definitely interested in the same thing though.  I should be getting my X00 tomorrow and am slightly irked that I'll have about 6' of extra cord to try to deal with, since my DAC and AMP are right next to me in the listening zone.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #502 of 974
You've got hundreds of cables prepared for the Senns hd6xx that are compatible with your Fostexs :wink:

Nevertheless a couple of pages ago it seemed that a cable builder popped up in this thread answering to someone like you asking for more or lrss the same thing...

Enviado desde mi H1

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #503 of 974

The 610 has pads with bigger holes, more subbass extension and the treble is not as pronounced - I think I heard somebody say the soundstage might be bigger as well, but I can't say anything about that aspect.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds very very promising as the treble of TH-X00 could be a bit less prominent. I'll be looking for TH-610 second hand or B-Ware bargains and then sell the Mahoganies.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #505 of 974
Is there a proper th-610 impressions thread somewhere that I have missed? I think there needs to be one if there isn't, because this huge thread has a ton of information but it's sure difficult to access. This thread was from when the th-610 was still a bit of a rumor! When someone is looking for just reviews/impressions, its pretty difficult to do. Would any of you head-fi veterans want to start one up?

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #506 of 974
  Is there a proper th-610 impressions thread somewhere that I have missed? I think there needs to be one if there isn't, because this huge thread has a ton of information but it's sure difficult to access. This thread was from when the th-610 was still a bit of a rumor! When someone is looking for just reviews/impressions, its pretty difficult to do. Would any of you head-fi veterans want to start one up?

I'm getting my pair next week. I might open one if no one else does by the time I get them. I think criticalJenn should do it though, he's already posted impressions. 
smile.gif

Dec 26, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #508 of 974
Not entirely sure what you mean, the sub bass blends into the bass then the mid bass etc. I would not call these basshead headphones. They have a mild U shaped response, good soundstage, and detailed presentation.

I am using a single ended tube amp with output TX so my bass experience will be different from solid state guys.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #509 of 974
Not entirely sure what you mean, the sub bass blends into the bass then the mid bass etc. I would not call these basshead headphones. They have a mild U shaped response, good soundstage, and detailed presentation.

I am using a single ended tube amp with output TX so my bass experience will be different from solid state guys.

What amp are you using? I've been considering Fostex's HP-4ABL.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #510 of 974
  How is the sub bass extension on these? Do they bleed into the other frequencies.

Subbass extension is really good, reaches extremely deep and doesn't fall off at all to my knowledge, and Tyll's FR measurements seem to affirm that.

Doesn't bleed or overshadow anything else in my experience - they just generally sound more full and move more air than what else I have in my inventory.
Treble is a little less in terms of quantity than the rest of the biodynas (the driver on these is dampened with a thin foam cover, cups are full with compressed cotton), but the detail retrieval is better than the other ones I've tried (D2000, D5000), just with the edge taken off it a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back