New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Oct 14, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #407 of 647
Endgame Utopia 2022 with 10% Palladium / 20% Gold / 70% Silver cable. OMG then you know how bad the stock cable is...
IMG_20221012_230901.jpg

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #410 of 647
Original cable sounds muffled in comparison.
Palladium sounds warm and detail at the same time while not muffled.
Especially bass definition is a lot better!
That could explain the ‘muffled’ sound I got from the Utopia 2022 when I tested it with the stock cable, and perhaps also why that same stock cable could somewhat compensate for the brightness of the OG, making that combo actually work rather well.

I have to add that ‘muffled’ isn’t even the right word to describe what I experienced. To me it sounded like a part of the frequency range was simply underrepresented, resulting in a sound picture that didn’t feel smoother yet still fine in its own way. Instead it somehow just sounded ‘not right’, in a way I struggle to put into words.

Oct 14, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #411 of 647
The Utopia 2020 also has a cable that makes them sound warmer, as opposed to the long 4m cable that came with the first Utopias, which sounds very bright.
And yes for the Utopia 2020 it makes sense but for the 2022 it's too much of it!

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #412 of 647
The Utopia 2020 also has a cable that makes them sound warmer, as opposed to the long 4m cable that came with the first Utopias, which sounds very bright.
And yes for the Utopia 2020 it makes sense but for the 2022 it's too much of it!
And yup, I indeed have the Utopia 2020, with those rather stiff, braided, grey cables! The 2022 cables are of a more flexible rubber, but have the same sound signature as the 2020 cables, matching well with the 2020 Utopia, but a lot less - at least to both of our apparently outlier sets of ears :stuck_out_tongue: - with the 2022 Utopia.

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #413 of 647
I wonder how the Lazuli Reference is pairing with the Nutopia?

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #415 of 647
I wonder how the Lazuli Reference is pairing with the Nutopia?
I ordered the Lazuli Ref Plus for my Nutopia. I got the cables, but I'm still waiting on the headphones. I'm hoping they have good synergy together like the OG Utopia and Lazuli Reference

Oct 14, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #416 of 647
I ordered the Lazuli Ref Plus for my Nutopia. I got the cables, but I'm still waiting on the headphones. I'm hoping they have good synergy together like the OG Utopia and Lazuli Reference
Going to be interesting. The Lazuli ref warmed up the OG utopia noticeably (debatable, I know) so I wonder if will be too much for the nutopia since it's already got a bit of the warmth naturally.

I was nervous about the Woo WA8 with the Nutopia as well because of the same reason. It really paired well with the OG and I'm glad to report it also has the same synergy with the new one.

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #418 of 647
I use the LR Plus with my Utopia (not Nutopia) and enjoy it very, very much. I used to own the LR and found it too warm and smooth taking away some of the speed and dynamics of the Utopia for my tastes, while I find the LRP does not do this, but rather enhances the overall presentation of the Utopia on a larger scale. Definitely a keeper for me in my system along with my WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse.

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #420 of 647
I mean more precise from subbass to midbass.
Because of more warmth from mids to treble the bass of the Nutopia is more prominent vs OG. The Nutopia is nothing near bass shy.
Did focal change the bass tuning in comparison to OG Utopia?
Graphs don't show that.
Even though I haven't heard 'new' utopias Im pretty sure that their bass is just like the OG ones.
There is some mid bass but lower bass registers are just shy, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back