New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Sep 25, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #376 of 647
i've explained why i started this thread a couple of times now. rather than repeat myself again, i refer you to post #364 on this page if you're at all interested. i've already been misrepresented in this thread by a forum member who felt compelled to send me an unsolicited pm, and now this. i can hardly believe that i need to defend myself for starting a thread in a headphone forum but contrary to your aspersions, i didn't start it to seek attention or credit and no, i don't 'want a cookie' thank you. i actually started it for fun! can you believe it? and i subsequently changed the original thread title to distinguish it further from @jude's thread and again, for fun! sorry officer but i was unaware that the fun police was patrolling here.

while you appear to regard @Allanmarcus's laudable opening post in the focal utopia general discussion thread as the standard by which all opening posts should be measured, there is no requirement for a thread starter to adopt his approach. again, i started the thread in anticipation of the release of the 'nutopia' so there was little in the way of useful information available to include in it at the time. while listening impressions and reviews of the 'nutopia' are scant at present, i have posted what i've come across here and i intended to keep doing so. i am willing to change the thread title again in order to make it more sober and searchable. who knows, i may even update the opening post as well. i trust that you understand even if you don't agree or you could pm me...
I messaged you privately to explain my reasoning and to not clog up the thread anymore. I even said in the PM that me wanting the threads merged was nothing personal. So, let me directly ask you, since you have avoided this in every response: are you okay to merge your thread with Jude’s to make things easier for everybody?

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #377 of 647
Sep 25, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #378 of 647
I messaged you privately to explain my reasoning and to not clog up the thread anymore. I even said in the PM that me wanting the threads merged was nothing personal. So, let me directly ask you, since you have avoided this in every response: are you okay to merge your thread with Jude’s to make things easier for everybody?
my take is that having been called out for making the same point repeatedly here, you couldn't let it go so you messaged me to justify your behaviour and repeat your point - again. and you are misrepresenting me yet again. you have asserted repeatedly that you want this thread merged with @jude's. contrary to your allegation, which is unfounded, i haven't avoided responding to your assertions, i just haven't felt inclined to because the thread merger is your hobby horse - not mine. now that you've asked me directly here, i'll give you the same answer that i gave you in my reply to your pm - 'i don't care.'

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #379 of 647
Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #381 of 647
Cross post:
The Nutopia should've remained on the "Utopia General Discussion Thread" this way all opinions/comparisons could've been read on 1 thread.
it's not a cross post - it's a new post in a new thread. as i explained to you in the utopia general discussion thread, which is currently 1,241 pages long, the 'nutopia' has replaced the original and warrants a new thread for pragmatic reasons if nothing else imo.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #382 of 647
it's not a cross post - it's a new post in a new thread. as i explained to you in the utopia general discussion thread, which is currently 1,241 pages long, the 'nutopia' has replaced the original and warrants a new thread for pragmatic reasons if nothing else imo.
I just think it would've been better left alone, again, for impressions/comparisons between both being it's still a Utopia dressed differently with a different voice coil.

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #383 of 647
I just think it would've been better left alone, again, for impressions/comparisons between both being it's still a Utopia dressed differently with a different voice coil.
while i appreciate your point of view, the 'nutopia' is a new model that differs from the original. it is not the same headphone.

Sep 25, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #384 of 647
Maybe a good compromise would be to talk about the actual headphones in the other threads and reserve this thread specifically for arguing about how many threads there should be.

Just a thought. 😉

Sep 25, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #385 of 647
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #386 of 647
I auditioned the 2022 Utopia for about an hour with 2020 on hand at a local dealer. I found the "Nutopia" a bit warmer and different, Not better or worse. Just slightly different. I preferred a bit more bass. It was difficult to say one sounded much better than the other- just different. Aesthetically, I think the OG Utopia is much more pleasing to my eye. It just looks much better, as 2022 falls more in line with the wider openings on the cups- with the changes from mesh to wider oval openings like the Clear to Clear MG.

The bottom line was I love the Utopia OG and bought it back again at a significantly reduced price and with no buyer's remorse. Extremely subjective however I can listen to the OG with hours of enjoyment and I just was not positive the warmer sound and the other slight evolutionary improvements justified the $$ difference to me at this time. Just my 2¢

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #388 of 647
Why not have more threads than headphone models?

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #389 of 647
Humans should've never invented the internet lol

edit* to keep this post relevant lol, I have been eying used "current" models of the Utopia and they are selling at far more than fair prices. I enjoyed it enough to possibly buy another. A bit worried about the driver reliability, but my last pair was rock solid.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #390 of 647
3 different Utopia threads I've read tonight and they're all about the same headphones...just great.
It could be worse…..different threads about the same headphone pads…..🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back