New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Sep 16, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #242 of 647
i don't think your take is the 'most logical and realistic' tbh. as mentioned above,
The take was in reference to @chrisnyc75 post, I was merely making an observation of the various elements some folks feel are lacking with the Utopia. One tweak here, tweak there and then something else may be funky. So one or two changes, such as your suggestion around the baffle may satisfy those who want that, where there’s a group who don’t have an issue with that. Despite’s its name, nothing will be perfect, or without compromises. You are absolutely right, spitballing wish lists or criticism is not too egregious compared to other threads and some are utterly unreadable. The current Utopia is a great headphone, here’s to the next generation being equally great cheers 🍻

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #244 of 647
Sep 16, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #245 of 647
搜狗截图20220916154450.png

The new 2022 Utopia is up for Pre-order already, $4,600 USD. Would the sound improvements justify the price hike?

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #248 of 647
Early doors on a comparison review between the old, and the 2022 here.
"While the new headphone sounds more balanced, it does lose some of the magic – particularly in the treble – of the old. The old Utopia had a distinctive sound signature and this new one trades some of that uniqueness for a sound that I think more people will find appealing."

That's a quote from the review linked above. I'll stick to my "old" Utopia (purchased in March 22). I don't want to lose the magic.

Sep 16, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #249 of 647
"While the new headphone sounds more balanced, it does lose some of the magic – particularly in the treble – of the old. The old Utopia had a distinctive sound signature and this new one trades some of that uniqueness for a sound that I think more people will find appealing."

That's a quote from the review linked above. I'll stick to my "old" Utopia (purchased in March 22). I don't want to lose the magic.

Me too, that was exactly my reaction. Recent trends in new models seem to be driving more towards a committee design approach based upon user feedback. Whilst that has obvious benefits, products may tend to become more homogenised with idiosyncrasies ironed out - but it is those idiosyncrasies that can make something special or ‘magic’. The risk being that everything becomes competent but nothing truly special.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #250 of 647
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #252 of 647
Why would anyone base a significant purchase decision on a few random reviews by people who've probably listened to a brand new headphone iteration for a matter of days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back