New flagship iem from sony!
Sep 7, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #31 of 75
*Drooling on my keyboard*
Now THIS I gotta hear
But rawrster brings up a good point, what's the use of frequency going up to 30k? Perhaps my dog could benefit more than me 

Sep 7, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #32 of 75

There's an awesum sticker on the 700sl box saying 'IMPORTANT INFORMATION - THE WIDER THE FREQUENCY RESPONSE - the better' 

True story. brb, camera.
Quote:
*Drooling on my keyboard*
Now THIS I gotta hear
But rawrster brings up a good point, what's the use of frequency going up to 30k? Perhaps my dog could benefit more than me 

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #33 of 75
^ Well, if you the sound engineer of the Akira movie, apparently sounds above 22khz still have a measurable psychological effect. While I'm not sure this is true or can be verified, what I do know is that the human ear and brain is probably more complex than any measuring instruments we currently possess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersonic_effect

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #34 of 75
Here we go, lol. 

Also, the only reason they seem to have picked 3-30000 is because 30000>28000 and 3<4 of the EX700 (4-28000) 
biggrin.gif
(proofpic also attached)

All sony marketing is accredited by advice dog (TM) 

This is great. In 10 years, Sony will reach 0-100khz lol.

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #35 of 75

Awesome, I remember reading the paper on it (it was incidentally related to psychoacoustic audio codecs and perceptions of hf removed by mp3 hf cut-off). So around 20khz, I can probably believe in. but anything 25khz+ is probably pure fantasy.

What sony isn't pointing out is that you can write 0-100khz at -130db, and you'll most definitely be right... Unless someone can correct me and say the FR stated is mandated to be done under some measurement standard and to a +- db tolerance of x?
Quote:
^ Well, if you the sound engineer of the Akira movie, apparently sounds above 22khz still have a measurable psychological effect. While I'm not sure this is true or can be verified, what I do know is that the human ear and brain is probably more complex than any measuring instruments we currently possess.

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #36 of 75
Really who cares about the freq response it says...............I go by how it sounds.  It could say 30- 13,000.  *shrugs*

Monster doesnt even put a freq response on their packaging. 

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #37 of 75

Quote:
Really who cares about the freq response it says...............I go by how it sounds.  It could say 30- 13,000.  *shrugs*

Monster doesnt even put a freq response on their packaging. 

Monster cable sure sounds good though :D /sarcasm

And yes, frequency response I've found is such a garbage indicator, unless its the strange case when a manufacturer is being honest about frequency response - ie: Etymotic or Audio Technica declaring upper limits of 16khz on balanced armatures for instance.

I will find it very hard to believe the EX1000's will be good before I hear them - after finding the EX700 being so intensely disappointing.

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #38 of 75

Quote:
Monster cable sure sounds good though :D /sarcasm

And yes, frequency response I've found is such a garbage indicator, unless its the strange case when a manufacturer is being honest about frequency response - ie: Etymotic or Audio Technica declaring upper limits of 16khz on balanced armatures for instance.

I will find it very hard to believe the EX1000's will be good before I hear them - after finding the EX700 being so intensely disappointing.

ya i hate the ex700 too, the highs are as sharp as my gillete razor blade

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #40 of 75

Quote:
Its all very subjective, sharp to one person may be bliss to another.  Just sayin. 

yeah true but the general consensus clearly brands the ex700lp with grating highs regardless of eq or even connecting it to a warm source will never make the sibilance disappear. I can see someone who wants tinnitus to keep on using them

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #41 of 75

Quote:

yeah true but the general consensus clearly brands the ex700lp with grating highs regardless of eq or even connecting it to a warm source will never make the sibilance disappear. I can see someone who wants tinnitus to keep on using them

I see what you are saying.  I really didnt know about the sibilance. 

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #42 of 75

Quote:

"the hypersonic effect did not occur when the HFCs were presented via headphones.[size=small]"[/size]

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #43 of 75

Quote:
"the hypersonic effect did not occur when the HFCs were presented via headphones.[size=small]"[/size]

Yah from what I read of the paper, it was because headphones could simply not produce enough of the 20khz+ tones as much as large supertweeters could. Who really knows? XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back