(NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs!
Oct 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #62 of 1,334
Got mine yesterday as well, from Tinbel on Amazon (they are an authorized FiiO dealer).  Will try to get to it over the weekend to test it out and compare against C5 and E11k.

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #64 of 1,334
Oh and btw, I ordered one of these for the hell of it :wink:

How could you Not? 
smile.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #66 of 1,334
I know, I know...

My name is Nikolaus, and I've got a problem :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I just posted one of my 4 pairs of Klipsch Heresy's on craigslist to recover from my reckless spending over the past several weeks...lol 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #70 of 1,334
  When you order the 12a, you better order the L16 too. It makes the sound a lot better than L2 / L8.

I was going to say just order the H6 stacker and kill two birds with one stone since the L16 comes with it. But I forget that not everybody ordering the 12A is going to be matching it to an X5.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #71 of 1,334

Same here, I also pulled the trigger on the E12A. Even though I got the E12 already, I need a good amp to drive my CIEM and most importantly good dynamic IEMs. The high output on the E12 was a good match for my K701, but the soundstage made my IEM sounding worse than just the X5 alone.

For a while, I was looking for another affordable good quality IEM's amp. Several options came to my mind, including Vorzuge Pure II, Cayin C5, or even e11k.
Nonetheless, my money went to fiio again because they listen to consumers for what they need. 

BTW, three listed above are all great, but they are either expensive, not as detailed, or inconvenient (to me).
biggrin.gif

Be sure to give impressions w/ your X5 and V6
biggrin.gif

You should not need a E12A for your V6. X5 has more than enough amplification for the V6 even at low gain since they are very efficient at 116db/mw. Passing through an amp degrades the signal source as an analog cable is used in between. Additionally, balanced armature tends to create distortion with more amplification.

Anyway, I will update you on how it sounds on my IE80 because German dynamics are really hard to drive nicely. 
L3000.gif

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #72 of 1,334

You should not need a E12A for your V6. X5 has more than enough amplification for the V6 even at low gain since they are very efficient at 116db/mw. Passing through an amp degrades the signal source as an analog cable is used in between. Additionally, balanced armature tends to create distortion with more amplification.

Anyway, I will update you on how it sounds on my IE80 because German dynamics are really hard to drive nicely. 
L3000.gif

The V6 is rated at 116db but the IE80's are rated at 125db which is significantly more efficient than the V6 = higher db/output at = mw's. My 846's (114 dB SPL/mW) have an entirely different sound profile when switching from the X5 alone to running through the 12A. 114db vs 116db isn't that big of a difference in sensitivity. At 125db I would think that you could just about breath on them and they would be screaming. It's definitely a good argument for NOT needing an external amp.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #73 of 1,334

The V6 is rated at 116db but the IE80's are rated at 125db which is significantly more efficient than the V6 = higher db/output at = mw's. My 846's (114 dB SPL/mW) have an entirely different sound profile when switching from the X5 alone to running through the 12A. 114db vs 116db isn't that big of a difference in sensitivity. At 125db I would think that you could just about breath on them and they would be screaming. It's definitely a good argument for NOT needing an external amp.

Sigh....cant believe [Mod Edit: Don't be rude please].
Sennheiser don't use db/mw instead they use db/V.

Sensitivity makes a huge difference than impedance.

Please do not compare armature with a dynamic driver if you have not figured out the difference between db/mw versus db/V.
frown.gif

Can't even believed I saw that "at 125db which is significantly more efficient than the V6 = higher db/output" from a 846 owner. I guess shure suits you better at that price point.
confused_face.gif

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #74 of 1,334

Really depend on what kind of cables you are using. I have the E12, E12A and Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Duet. I am using a 7N Copper, 8wires and rhodium plated conductor. It won't degrade the signal. For my AKG K3003i, the E12A is a lot better than E12.  Based on my ears, I think Fiio did an excellent job on E12A. The floor noise is so.....low.  Honestly, it so close to the performance with my AlgoRhythm Duet. The only difference I found it, with the Duet, it sounds a little bit more warm. With E12A, it sounds a little bit more forward and clear. Just depend on your music, and pick the right Amp. Enjoy.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #75 of 1,334
  Sigh....cant believe so many n00bs are on headfi commenting -.- Same thing happened when I posted on the DX90 forum.
Sennheiser don't use db/mw instead they use db/V.

Sensitivity makes a huge difference than impedance.

Please do not compare armature with a dynamic driver if you have not figured out the difference between db/mw versus db/V.
frown.gif

Can't even believed I saw that "at 125db which is significantly more efficient than the V6 = higher db/output" from a 846 owner. I guess shure suits you better at that price point.
confused_face.gif

Thank you pointing out an incorrect assumption. Since you are much more astute on these differences, perhaps you explain how efficiency is calculated when using a db/V instead of db/mw?
If Sennheiser is publishing specs as 125db/V then what would be the conversion to Xdb/mw? Or vice versa, 114db/mw conversion to Xdb/V. Voltage is a component of Watts (I x E = W (P)...or in this case ma x mv = mw (P)) Decibels are a sound pressure measurement regardless of the power generated to produce them. So I'm hoping that you can explain, so that I might be better able to understand and not be so ignorant in the future. As far as my being a 846 owner and not understanding the difference...I don't need to understand the difference. I stick my IEM's in my ears and adjust volume accordingly. There's no need for me to understand any more than Sounds Good...or Sounds like Crap. I have a lot of hobbies and a lot of expensive toys. I have no idea how any of them work.

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back