New favorite VG soundtrack, MGS3: Snake Eater
Apr 28, 2005 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
I love video game soundtracks, they are their own breed of music, IMO, and can vary greatly. Some are totally off the chain, and some just need chained up and forgotten. My fav up until now had been Final Fantasy 6's OST, which I'll have to post on, due to its obscene awesomeness, but for now, I'll focus on my new favorite.

If any HeadFi'ers out there played MGS3 through and enjoyed it, I'm sure there's alot of you that probably enjoyed the music as well. Well, I freaking loved the in-game music, and didn't realize until yeseterday that much of the in-game goodness was simply bits and pieces of what's in the soundtrack, which is much better, IMO.

There's an interesting variety of tunes, from the oldschool sounds of the healing tracks at the end of each of the 2 cds, some somber tunes that might make you sob a little(especially if you've played the game. Wow, some stuff in MGS3 is really deep), and some tunes that might get your heart racing.

On disc 1, here's what I'm liking at the moment:
1-Snake Eater (a great spy flick theme ala James Bond)
3-CQC (an expanded version of the intro, a great tune with lots of interesting
bamboo sounds to it)
4-Virtuous Mission (it's okay at first, but 1:35 into it, it's TOTALLY AWESOME,
a further expanded version of this track should've been included, it's that
good)
6-KGBVSGRU (a damn cool song with a damn cool constant beat that heats
up nicely)
18-The Fury (Boss music that's really unusual, it takes the whole length of
the song before it ever repeats in the game, always sounds to me like as the
action heats up -Fury fans know what I mean- the pace of the music jumps)

Disc 2:
3-The Sorrow: Everlasting Fight (this one has a pace that only increases as
time goes by, I really love the beat to this one even though by the standards
of this OST, this is a mellower action track)
4-Clash With Evil Personified (I wouldn't mind getting into a fight with this
song blaring in my head, I'm way into it)
5,6-Sidecar tracks(the most action packed tracks on this OST, and I love
playing either of them in repeat or in sequence with each other. They mesh
really well)
10-Life's End(This sad song is really good, and it's hard for me to tell what
the opening instruments are. I'm definitely going to be playing this in repeat
while I write my next novel)
14-Eva's Reminiscence(is it just me, or does the piano playing throughout the
song remind anyone else of Shawshank Redemption, which I'll have to get
the soundtrack of in the future 'cause I liked it so much? In any case, it's a
stirring tune)
15-Debriefing(This song is familiar for anyone that has beaten MGS3. It's one
saddest and most bitter tunes I've ever heard in a game, but the scene this
plays in is also one of the best. It's really gut wrenching around the end,
and if you are playing the game at the point this is playing, it's even more
impactful, noting just how much I enjoyed the game itself as well)
16-Way to Fall by Starsailor(I didn't have any idea who these guys were, but
now I've got to hear more of their tunes on the backbone of how much I
enjoyed this tune of thiers. It's quite sad in the context of the game, and
lesser so within the soundtrack IMO)

Anyone else have anything to say about this OST(Original soundtrack)? I'd love to hear it. Also it should be noted that the mastering that went into the MGS3 soundtrack far exceeds the quality put into the game's audio. There are major nuances I heard on the soundtrack that I never heard in-game, and I believe this is due to compression for space allowance, which is justified.

So drop me a line if you've got anything to add to my mishmash of opinion.
icon10.gif
Abe

Apr 28, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 19
I don't own MGS3 or OST but I hear the main theme played daily on gaming fm. It might be worth checking out, personally I'm a fan of the Z.O.E soundtracks.

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 19
I agree! I have had the MGS3 OST for quite some time and I admit that it kicks @ss. The sound quality is truly amazing, especially when listening through my Grado RS-1. All the songs are great but I think any person who has played the game will just simply appreciate the OST more than one who has not played the game.

Highly recommended to any people out there with at least some interests in video game music.

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 19
Ha ha, fans! I knew I couldn't be the only person out there that enjoyed the MGS3 soundtrack! True about the whole 'play the game and appreciate the music more' thing, I think you've got to play the game to be attached to the tunes, to understand what that music is for. There's always more to it, and you can take the Final Fantasy 6 OST for example. It's full of great tunes that get even better when you play through the game and really understand why they are there in the first place.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Red1
I don't own MGS3 or OST but I hear the main theme played daily on gaming fm. It might be worth checking out, personally I'm a fan of the Z.O.E soundtracks.

I've seen that you can get the MIYA records copy(not the original, but whatever-I can't find it anywhere for a decent price)off eBay for under $20 shipped.
BTW, what's gaming fm? Sounds interesting...
Oh, and I peeked at your profile-I like alot of the same stuff, drawing and such...
biggrin.gif
Abe

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 19
Of course your not the only one. I love VGM music! I grew up on that stuff and my love for the Mario theme has yet to fade. I especially like when orchestra's do classical re-workings of VGM. I know there are a few bands out there that do re-workings of VGM in ska, jazz, pop, swing and of course - electronic.

As for MGS3 - it's an amazing VGM OST. It's very classy and the music sounds like it was written very carefully with full consideration of its effect during game play. It is definately an OST worth a recommendation.

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 19
Oh, sh**! You're gonna love this- I have a bunch of orchestral tracks from Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu) and the Final Fantasy Symphonic, as well as the entire Opera sequence from Final Fantasy 6 called "Draco & Maria - The Dream Oath". It's 23:50 of amazingness!

biggrin.gif
Abe

Apr 29, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 19
I haven't listened to the CD soundtrack, but the game does have exceptional music. When you hire the guy that helped to do some of The Rock's Soundtrack as well as other movies like The Man in the Iron Mask, We Were Soldiers, and King Arthur it seems you have a pretty qualified guy (heh, don't confuse the quality of the movie with the quality of the soundtrack). But yeah I think he did a stand up job in MGS2 and continued it with 3.

Where do you get the soundtrack?

Apr 29, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I've seen that you can get the MIYA records copy(not the original, but whatever-I can't find it anywhere for a decent price)off eBay for under $20 shipped.

Uh uh, none of that crap. Those copies do nothing more than line the pocket of piraters overseas -- if you have even an ounce of respect for the composer, and if it's an in-print album, you bite the bullet and buy the authentic release.

CDs from overseas, video game soundtracks or otherwise, are simply more expensive. The Japanese CD market is even more inflated than the American market, but that's just the way it is. Whether or not you think you can pinch out the pennies for it, you should.

Apr 29, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoteriX
I haven't listened to the CD soundtrack, but the game does have exceptional music. When you hire the guy that helped to do some of The Rock's Soundtrack as well as other movies like The Man in the Iron Mask, We Were Soldiers, and King Arthur it seems you have a pretty qualified guy (heh, don't confuse the quality of the movie with the quality of the soundtrack). But yeah I think he did a stand up job in MGS2 and continued it with 3.

Where do you get the soundtrack?

...From the only place I could find it for a decent price at the time, eBay. I just searched up Metal Gear Solid 3, and then picked the music category. Alot of 'buy it now' options were available which is great for me, since I freaking hate bidding wars-I used to be a sniper bidder, but I quit that crap a long time ago.

Personally, my opinion of Harry Gregson-Williams is that he's up there with my favorite composers, and he's done some really nice music, and continues to get better and better. But for his sake, I hope he stops working with that sleaze Jerry Bruckheimer. Also, if I were to give the MGS2 soundtrack rating a 9 or 9.5, I'd give the MGS3 soundtrack a Spinal Tap 11, RAWKNROLL! Also, if I were ever able to make a movie or movie series(more appropriate) out of the books I am writing, he'd be at the top of my list for a music man. Also, Thomas Newman would be a nice choice, since I like the Shawshank Redemption's music so much. Seeing a synergy between those two would be awesome. Also considering Don Davis and Yoko Kanno, they are way cool too.

Listening to The Fear and loving it,
Abe

Apr 29, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Uh uh, none of that crap. Those copies do nothing more than line the pocket of piraters overseas -- if you have even an ounce of respect for the composer, and if it's an in-print album, you bite the bullet and buy the authentic release.

...If I could find it- all I could find at the time was the Cynthia Harrell Snake Eater single.

Apr 29, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 19
If you like Video game sound tracks check out the Halo 2 sound track. I dont usually like sound tracks to much of anything (except for a few movies like shawshank redemption) but the Halo 2 sound track is fantastic.

PS. Halo 2 is the sh!t. And im waiting eagerly for E3.

Apr 29, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #12 of 19
I'm sure Halo 2's soundtrack is great, but I can't stand FPS games with a passion. I suck at them big time, and every time I play multiplayer, guess who gets fragged first? Me. Not only that, but the button schemes of most FPS games get so convoluted I get disinterested. However, when on 'herbal remedies', one can easily enjoy getting toasted and getting toasted by your homies on an Xbox LAN party
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Abe

PS-If I had a GameCube with Metroid Prime, I might change my mind on some FPS games...

Apr 29, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

BTW, what's gaming fm? Sounds interesting...
Oh, and I peeked at your profile-I like alot of the same stuff, drawing and such...

Gaming FM is a internet radio station that streams VGM, here is the link:
http://www.gamingfm.com/main/

Pretty awesome.

p.s judging by the avatar your artwork would kill mine.
cool.gif

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Red1
Gaming FM is a internet radio station that streams VGM, here is the link:
http://www.gamingfm.com/main/
Pretty awesome.
p.s judging by the avatar your artwork would kill mine.
cool.gif

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out a little later...

You like my avatar? Thanks! Here's more of my junk if you wanna check it out: here, here , and here.
All the work mentioned is featured in this novel I wrote (and hope to get published, it's part of a four part series) and I have more planned on the way, and at least one more that will be posted up on HeadFi. Also, I don't think my art really kills anyone else's- I've got love for all the art out there, and all the artists too... I'd like to check out more by more people, and if you've got some of your own, hell yeah I'd enjoy seeing it!

Check it
biggrin.gif
Abe

Apr 30, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 19
your welcome seeberg.

I really like the drawing of the smoking chick, I'm partial to the female form if you must know.
biggrin.gif
Forgive the sarcasm about what I said your drawing's killing mine. I belive if you like doing something it does'nt really matter, but you are on a totally different level than me.

I,m taking a break from drawing right now so I don't have anything to show, I've been playing the guitar and geting trying to get back into music.

The whole art\music thing is one in the same if you ask me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back