New Eyeglasses
Jun 8, 2011 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using the same pair for 4yrs.They are breaking. Simple solution? I need a new pair.

There are many considerations to be made. First, cost. Then, looks. Maybe even brand. Then I need to worry about glass material, anti-glare. All of that good stuff.

My brother bought a new pair 4months ago, and he spent $250+. That's a lot of money. I don't want to spend so much. I've heard some people say buying glasses online sound good, but I don't know about that.

Basically, I haven't been "glasses shopping" for years, and I need your advice.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 15
Here's my advice:

If you have insurance coverage that covers an eye exam, do it. Especially, if your coverage is a fully covered eye exam every year (I have that listed in my coverage so I have one every year, regardless of plans to get glasses or not). In any case, I've actually had some vendors specifically not take my prescription if it was dated from too long ago, as your eyes may have changed since then. Definitely look into that possibility.

Once you are armed with your prescription, here is my advice regarding frames: ignore brand. Sure, if you find a brand you like at a price you can afford, go for it, but let's face it - they're glasses - Function and Comfort should be the primary consideration on your mind. Try out as many pairs as you can find and see what looks best on you and what is affordable in your price range

With regards to material, I'm a little hazier: the specific opthomologist I go to for prescriptions is usually who I go to to get glasses made,  because she and I worked out the billing in my case (A little tricky between insurance coverage, additional employer coverage, and my own expenses). In any case, she very rarely offers straight glass, and only offers two styles of plastic lenses - the kind for regular glasses, and a special kind for safety glasses. So with regards to that: I don't have a choice and I go with what is offered. If the vendor you go to does have a choice - Plastic is easier to scratch, but lighter. Glass won't scratch, but can crack easily and then has to be replaced.

With regard to anti-glare , if you can get it in your budget, I say go for it - solar glare hurts my eyes and ever since I switched to anti-glare, my eyes have been happier.

There are a good range of budget option to be had around too - I know that here in town, I'm always seeing absurdly low priced deals from Walmart and Sam's Club every time I'm in there.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 15
Check the Glassy Eyes blog. They link to a number of online vendors. I've ordered from a few and have been pleased with them.

The only tricky part is measuring your PD. There's a specialized tool for this, but I found it by looking into a mirror and using a felt tip pen (washable, don't use a Sharpie!) and making a dot over each pupil. Then I used a metric ruler to measure the difference - PD is measured in millimeters.

For finding the correct size frames, measure a pair you have that fits well. If you're not sure, use the measurements to trace a rough pattern on paper and cut it out. Hold it up to your face to see if the dimensions work.

I do like good frames - my current pair is from Moscot. Also got my father similar ones that he really likes, too.

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Check the Glassy Eyes blog. They link to a number of online vendors. I've ordered from a few and have been pleased with them.

The only tricky part is measuring your PD. There's a specialized tool for this, but I found it by looking into a mirror and using a felt tip pen (washable, don't use a Sharpie!) and making a dot over each pupil. Then I used a metric ruler to measure the difference - PD is measured in millimeters.

For finding the correct size frames, measure a pair you have that fits well. If you're not sure, use the measurements to trace a rough pattern on paper and cut it out. Hold it up to your face to see if the dimensions work.

I do like good frames - my current pair is from Moscot. Also got my father similar ones that he really likes, too.

Hehe...I never realized there was a specialized tool for that measurement - My opthamologist just uses the sharpie and ruler as you mentioned! Since every pair of frames she has in stock have a set of placeholder lenses in them, she can just send out the measurement as well as the glasses with marked lenses so the lab can make their own measurements as well
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 15
Hehe...I never realized there was a specialized tool for that measurement - My opthamologist just uses the sharpie and ruler as you mentioned! Since every pair of frames she has in stock have a set of placeholder lenses in them, she can just send out the measurement as well as the glasses with marked lenses so the lab can make their own measurements as well
bigsmile_face.gif

Yep, it's this thing.

Also, a little primer on glasses:

As far as glass frames go, you should be fine with any material unless you have a specific allergy. Beyond that, all you need to do is check how they fit, their overall solidity and their looks of course.

Concerning glass material:

- Mineral glass or organic glass. Mineral glass is nearly scratchproof, that's the only advantage they have. Organic glasses are unbreakable (nearly), thinner and accommodate for a larger variety of surface treatment etc.

- Brands: good brands are Essilor or Nikon in my country, there are others that I don't know about. Anyway, you should use a brand that provides guarantees about the type of material it uses.

- The more complex your eye correction is, the more expensive the glasses will be. A typical very expensive nightmare would be to progressive glasses designed to accommodate strong presbyopia and strong myopia with strong astigmatism. Simple myopia or presbyopia glasses should be a lot cheaper. The reason for that is that the more complex the shape of the glass is, the harder (and it must be tailored!) it will be to manufacture. Besides with several corrections to implement in the glass' shape, you can easily imagine it would be difficult to mass produce since no one would have the same correction.

- The refractive index, it basically determines how much the glass will "curve the light rays", the higher the refractive index, the thinner the glasses can be. I would wear very thick glasses but the problem was alleviated by using a high refractive index material. Another way to alleviate the thick glasses issue is having glasses with a smaller diameter.

- Surface treatments: they can make glasses a lot more expensive.

- Scratchproof treatment for organic glasses, normally it's present even on the basic offers. Not 100% effective but absolutely essential, otherwise your glasses won't last.
- Hydrophobic + anti fog. Looses 50%of its efficiency over a few months but even after, it's better than no treatment. Third party temporary renewal product exist for specific applications (sports in wet environments for example)
- Anti Glare: several versions exist, the basic version reflects in moderate amount blue and violet light, other colors are absorbed, it provides a very nice improvement and a lot more comfort over non treated glasses. Advanced versions reflect a low amount of green light, more comfort, but I consider it non essential.

- Polarization: Useful if you suffer a lot from sun reflections or do a lot of outdoor activity where vision is extra crucial, useless otherwise.

- Sun sensitive glasses with color transitions: If you want your glasses and sunglasses so be combined in one pair,. Awfully expensive but convenient.

That's about it.

- Last one, online or in a real shop? A lot of people have had good success online but a real shop with experienced staff will ensure that your glasses are adapted to your vision, they will usually change/replace the glasses if they don't fit; with glasses with multiple corrections this happens more often than believed, the staff can diagnose what the exact issues with the glasses are. Basically they offer a guarantee of results. You would still need to clarify that point with them, there has been a lot of crappy shops popping up these years.

Jun 12, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 15
Thanks, khaos!

Personally, I spring for Crizal lenses. My doctor talked me into them several years back and I ended up happy with them. I wear my glasses all day, so the AR and anti-scratch are really helpful.

I saved a little money by ordering my frames online and had the optometrist put the lenses in. It cost about the same as getting those lenses online, plus I got them fitted, etc. The pairs I've ordered entirely online are my backup pairs. I don't mind having a pair of $29 cheapies in the car to get lost/damaged, and a pair in LA and Arizona, too.

Which reminds me, I should get around to ordering a pair of prescription work goggles online. It'd be cheap and easier than putting goggles over my glasses.

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Which reminds me, I should get around to ordering a pair of prescription work goggles online. It'd be cheap and easier than putting goggles over my glasses.

Hey Uncle Erik, I have to get  prescription safety glasses with side shields for work, (at least we get one free pair each yr.).. My old ass eyes need no-line bifocal  lenses now and I was wondering if you or any other guys have tried the "double D's lenses, in which they have the same bifocal  on the very top of the lenses  for guys who have to read or work on equipment that's above them instead of bending your head back far enough to be able to see through your regular bifocal glasses.........  They're the cats pajamas... But a little strange getting use to them..... I also get the transition lenses for work for the times I'm working on equipment outside..........

Jun 12, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 15
My eyes aren't that old yet. :)

I'm pushing 39, but am still myopic with a side of astigmatism. That should change over the next decade, though. My father uses blended lenses, but I don't know the particulars.

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 15
I know my lenses are made by Phoenix and I love them. I've had two pairs of regular glasses and 2 pairs of safety glasses made using Phoenix lenses, and they have been the 4 best pairs of eyeglasses I have owned.

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
I know my lenses are made by Phoenix and I love them. I've had two pairs of regular glasses and 2 pairs of safety glasses made using Phoenix lenses, and they have been the 4 best pairs of eyeglasses I have owned.

appophylite, may I ask where you got those Phoenix lenses??  Thanks!

Jun 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks, khaos!

Personally, I spring for Crizal lenses. My doctor talked me into them several years back and I ended up happy with them. I wear my glasses all day, so the AR and anti-scratch are really helpful.

I saved a little money by ordering my frames online and had the optometrist put the lenses in. It cost about the same as getting those lenses online, plus I got them fitted, etc. The pairs I've ordered entirely online are my backup pairs. I don't mind having a pair of $29 cheapies in the car to get lost/damaged, and a pair in LA and Arizona, too.

I personally went for the Transitions (same brand Essilor, they darken in bright light) since I'm sensitive to light, they basically have the Crizal treatment. I have been wearing then dor several years now, I fear the glass frames will break before the glasses.

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
appophylite, may I ask where you got those Phoenix lenses??  Thanks!

My opthamologist runs most of her cases, except for special exceptions or special requests through Phoenix Lenses, because they are her preferred lens crafter as well. She and her husband run their office together and both use Phoenix lenses exclusively so I never had a problem taking her on her word for their quality when I first tried them out. Best bet I'd say is to ask your local opthamologist if they can order them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back