New Ety ER-4P cored impressions
Oct 15, 2003 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

hazmat

100+ Head-Fier
I've seen people asking about the new cord, so here are my impressions. I have the new cord on the ER-4Ps and also had the old ones. First thing I should mention is that the microphonics are not drastically improved. But that said, I would never go back. The new shorter, braided cord makes a WORLD of difference. The cord is thinner, lighter, and more flexible than the old one. This means that when walking around, if you use the shirt clip, the cords just sit there at ease and don't move around much. As if I didn't love my ER-4Ps already, they are so much better now. Highly recommended upgrade.

Hope this helps. Here's a picture of it.

Oct 15, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 35
Thanks for the review. I am waiting to get mine back from a cord replacement. I'm no longer excited about the new cord, I just miss my etys.

Oct 15, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Dunbar
It's $50 to upgrade right?

Yep, plus $5 shipping, not including your shipping cost to get it there.

You can call their customer service # on their website and tranfer to sales dept. Not sure why sales when it should be service dept but that's where they transferred me.

The main problem is you'll be without your headphones for over a week but hopefully it's worth it.

Oct 16, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 35
Do you find here is any difference in the sound? Mine was back for repairs, so I had them convert my 4s into 4p with the new cord ($65.00) and got the convertor. I know what you mean about being without them though, they misplaced mine for a couple of weeks so by the time they get back they'll have been gone a month!

Oct 16, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Do you find here is any difference in the sound? Mine was back for repairs, so I had them convert my 4s into 4p with the new cord ($65.00) and got the convertor. I know what you mean about being without them though, they misplaced mine for a couple of weeks so by the time they get back they'll have been gone a month!

Nope, I found no difference in sound between the 4P old cord and 4P new cord.

Oct 16, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by hazmat
Nope, I found no difference in sound between the 4P old cord and 4P new cord.

Good deal, that was the only real concern I had. Since mine were going to ship out the next day after the repairs, I rushed into getting the upgrade without being able to get good feedback. I almost picked up a second set during the HeadRoom sale just to get the new cord and the 4ps, but I couldn't sell myself on it being worth it. When they mentioned they could make my 4s into 4p, I jumped at the chance. I should have realized they could, but somehow it never crossed my mind...

Oct 16, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 35
Hazmat (or others), are you saying that the new cord doesn't bounce around like the old ones? That's the one thing that bugs me. The cords are so stiff that they stick out, bounce around and are generally a nuisance. I also end up pointing the connectors to the earplugs toward the front to keep the cords away from my shirt.

Any improvements in that regard? As some have said, I don't really mind the microphonics too much as they tend to fade into the background if I'm actively involved in listening (or doing something else). Still, I wouldn't mind it if the cords were a little less unruly.

Feedback?

Oct 16, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 35
Exactly. They are so light and flexible that they pretty much sit still.

Oh, here's another great thing. Because the old cord was so stiff, it would pull on the earphones and I would often have to play with them to get the seal back. This has never happened with the new ones. they just stay put. Except for the feeling of something in your ear canal, you'll never know anything is there. It's so incredible. DO IT!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 35
Uh, gee, thanks. Just what I need, something else to spend money on. I suppose I might as well get it over with.

I got a meta42 from JMT a few weeks ago and figured, OK, now I'm set. Since then, I ordered a pair of Senn PX200s, now it's $50 for a new cord for the Etys, and I'm really keeping an eye on the new HD players. I wonder if Head-Fier's Anonymous holds any meetings around here
confused.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by waffenschmidt
Uh, gee, thanks. Just what I need, something else to spend money on. I suppose I might as well get it over with.

I got a meta42 from JMT a few weeks ago and figured, OK, now I'm set. Since then, I ordered a pair of Senn PX200s, now it's $50 for a new cord for the Etys, and I'm really keeping an eye on the new HD players. I wonder if Head-Fier's Anonymous holds any meetings around here
confused.gif

"Sorry about your wallet."
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by waffenschmidt
I wonder if Head-Fier's Anonymous holds any meetings around here
confused.gif

Not around here, that would be like AA holding meetings in a bar room!
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 35
I don't have experience with the old cord, but I assume its upper cord sheathing is similar to the new's lower. Is this correct?

My biggest concern with the new cord is the hardiness of the upper cable. It looks/feels easy to break. This concerns me for a device that is likely to be used for portable applications. Is anyone else worried about this? I'm enough (for a phone this expensive) to consider downgrading back to the old cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back