New ESS Sabre32 (ES9018) based DAC from Audio-gd....the NFB-1
Jan 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #572 of 607
Other manufacturers have successfully produced great sounding dacs using the Sabre chip so I am sure Audio-GD can come up with a great design with a bit more work. It should be ulimatey left to Kingwa to decide. If he believes the Sabre chip has great potential and he thinks he is able to design a product around it that can compete with its other well received DACs.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #574 of 607
The ES9018 works fine as long as it stays away from I2S and large temperature variation:

http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/sabre32-dac-i2s-further-experiments/

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #575 of 607

Quote:
my vote would be putting the sabre line on hold till the chip doesn't have any issues as stated in this thread.  Especially when you pay that much money for it.

x2

But more than that, I vote to stop flip flopping, I have seen so much waffling since Bret Farve talked about retiring.

Me thinks Kingwa is listening to the public a little too much and not his own gut feeling about what he feels to be best for a design.

Listening to the public is nice but every sword has two edges, the public can be fickle and really have no stake in the success of the company.

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #576 of 607
Good point.

Quote:
Quote:
my vote would be putting the sabre line on hold till the chip doesn't have any issues as stated in this thread.  Especially when you pay that much money for it.

x2

But more than that, I vote to stop flip flopping, I have seen so much waffling since Bret Farve talked about retiring.

Me thinks Kingwa is listening to the public a little too much and not his own gut feeling about what he feels to be best for a design.

Listening to the public is nice but every sword has two edges, the public can be fickle and really have no stake in the success of the company.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #577 of 607
Being a designer(engineer) is like being a leader, sometimes you have to know when to ignore the public for their own good.

Only difference is in this case when a president looses favor all he risks is not being re-elected, where Kingwa risks his very existence. 

Though if I were him I rather stake a claim on going with my gut and releasing a product worthy of my(his) name.

Quote:
Quote:

x2

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #578 of 607
I think he should start by using smd instead of through hole components for all his DACs.

Try taking a look on the Art of Sound site/The Drawing Board/ es9008/9018 thread. Power supplies are especially critical for this chip - the whole thread was an eye opener for me.

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #580 of 607

Quote:
AKM makes very good DAC chips.  The new top of the line K-01 Esoteric uses 16 AK4399 chips, 8 per channel.  They are 32-bit.  It might be something for Kingwa to consider as a viable replacement.

I´m not very sure. But I think they do not work in current mode.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #582 of 607

Quote:
Offtopic:
Is 680 € (Audiotubesis) norm price for Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac in Europe (shipping included) or I better prefer the NFB-1ES ?

The ES9018 chip requires a good power supply for its 80MHz clock, it works best in current mode (using opamp amp as I/V would immediately cut at least 8db of SNR). It is also a 8 channel DAC chip so balanced output configuration would better utilize it.

IMO, the Minimax's basic power section, NE5532 opamp I/V stage, and RCA only output stage are suffocating the ES9018 chip. I can't help but wonder the tube is just there to cover up all the design weaknesses. The strengths of the ES9018 are its high dynamic and revealing power. The Minimax implementation is like lowering the suspensions, putting spoilers and low profile tyres to a Land Rover SUV. 

If you order the NFB-1ES, ask Kingwa if he still has the 1ppm 80MHz TCXO as upgrade.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #584 of 607
It will be a different sound signature compared to the more relaxed Wolfson chips used in the DacMagic, but technically far superior (better specs etc). If you want something closer to the DacMagic, the high end versions of the same Wolfson chip are used in the Audio-gd Wolfson lineup. Either one would be a significant upgrade in my opinion.

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #585 of 607

Quote:
It will be a different sound signature compared to the more relaxed Wolfson chips used in the DacMagic, but technically far superior (better specs etc). If you want something closer to the DacMagic, the high end versions of the same Wolfson chip are used in the Audio-gd Wolfson lineup. Either one would be a significant upgrade in my opinion.

ty for the great response!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back