New ESS AMT-1
Nov 26, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nepenthe

500+ Head-Fier
http://www.essspeakersusa.com/Press1.jpg

I'm planning to buy a pair of these. They'll be driven by a Carver TFM-35 amp and a Harman/Kardon HK 3480 receiver as a preamp and supplemented by subwoofer (right now a Velodyne CT-120, soon to be either a single or dual REL subs).

I owned a 1970s original pair many years ago and was always in love with the sound they produced. I'd like to read a review or two of these new ones before committing but I don't know if that's possible so I may just take the plunge.

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 9
I think they will be improved. I spoke with the head designer of the company and he assured me there will be improvements.

The ESS AMTs with the transmission line bass system were actually very good.

I think matching them with a quick, musical dual sub system and a high current Carver amp along with modern improvements will yield a satisfying integration.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 9
I picked up a pair of ca. 1972 ESS AMT-1 speakers last year. Mom'n'Dad carted them off (I will get them back eventually), but they were about the best $300 I ever spent on audio. They needed a few mods and upgrades, but the AMT is top shelf.

I hope they can pull these off at a reasonable price. If the woofer is well integrated, these would be giant slayers.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 9
Lessee... thirteen and a half months later, and I'm still waiting.

http://www.essspeakersusa.com/Products.html

Here's how ready I am: I actually opened a separate brokerage account which I named "ESS Speakers" on Fidelity's website just for these speakers. It's up 14% since I opened it.

I haven't spoken to the owner of the company since November of 2009. At that time he assured me they would be ready by the end of January. Of 2010. But I know it's tough out there...

At this point I have to make one of three choices. I mean, my old-skool Infiniti Kappas and Velodyne CT-120 with appropriate isolation are certainly okay (read: better than anyone's house I've personally visited), but I want to move them into the game room. So, besides the ever-popular "do nothing and keep waiting" (we'll call that option #1) I can:

2. move on and find some other speaker system in the $3K to $6K range -- I'm thinking only ribbons, planars, or electrostats will please me, and will a single Carver TFM-35 drive any of those properly?
3. purchase my own Heil drivers and build my own crossover and enclosure system
4. start hitting eBay hard for vintage ESS systems

A fifth option is to invest in the company, but that's a distant fifth...

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 9
5th option sounds unwise in the extreme unless you have Trump cash to play with. If you really need that type of tweeter, try some VMPS maybe.

For that money, I would get the Mirage OMD-28 from eBay for about $2000-$3200.

If the new versions don't improve the bass region, ESS speakers are not worth more than $1000- any version IMO. The tweeters are awesome but the rest was pretty muddy. My statement from before referred to used ESS under $300.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 9
As for option 2, take a look at Linkwitz' Orion3 speakers. Within your budget and has a heckuva reputation. My pair isn't done yet - I still need to build the cabinets. But if they stand up to their reputation, they'll be my last audio investment. If not, I'll sell them and stick with fhe ESL-63s.

Though you might want to cast an eye towards the Kithara. Runs $6,000, and uses an AMT.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Had a pair of Eclipse B-102's which demonstrated tight bass hit and clean upper spectrum.  The original radiator seemed rather crude but it may explain why people replace them with mass tunable basket designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back