New Eastsound CDP
Sep 16, 2008 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jakek03

New Head-Fier
Eastsound CPD's seem to have a good following here on Head-Fi. I went to Cattylink's Eastsound page and they have a new player available, the E5-m.

I sent an email to Cattylink with a few questions and the response I received sparked my interest a little bit more. It seems this player is much more analogue sounding in nature than the E5, and while not a tube player, is a step up from the Jolida JD100a which many feel to be one of the best players under a grand.

Does anyone have one of these yet, or heard one? I can't find any reviews on it either (probably because it is so new), so information is tough to come by.

Thanks.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakek03 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eastsound CPD's seem to have a good following here on Head-Fi. I went to Cattylink's Eastsound page and they have a new player available, the E5-m.

I sent an email to Cattylink with a few questions and the response I received sparked my interest a little bit more. It seems this player is much more analogue sounding in nature than the E5, and while not a tube player, is a step up from the Jolida JD100a which many feel to be one of the best players under a grand.

Does anyone have one of these yet, or heard one? I can't find any reviews on it either (probably because it is so new), so information is tough to come by.

Thanks.

The new E5 costs $2250 .... this is not an under $1000 player.

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new E5 costs $2250 .... this is not an under $1000 player.

The total price including shipping and handling per Cattylink.com is 590 euros which is approximately $840.

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

The total price including shipping and handling per Cattylink.com is 590 euros which is approximately $840.

My mistake .... I thought you meant the Platinum Referance.

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 18
There are 2 new Eastsound players the M and the Platinum Reference. You are talking about the cheaper M, whereas SACD lover is talking about the Platinum Reference.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are 2 new Eastsound players the M and the Platinum Reference. You are talking about the cheaper M, whereas SACD lover is talking about the Platinum Reference.

In my post I specifically asked about the E5-m. Not the new Platinum reference player.

It is really difficult to find any reviews on this new player and since there are several members here that have Eastsound players I thought this might be a good place to ask about the new E5-m. I am very hesistant to purchase without any reviews or hearing from someone who has heard the player before, let alone hearing it myself.

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

In my post I specifically asked about the E5-m. Not the new Platinum reference player.

It is really difficult to find any reviews on this new player and since there are several members here that have Eastsound players I thought this might be a good place to ask about the new E5-m. I am very hesistant to purchase without any reviews or hearing from someone who has heard the player before, let alone hearing it myself.

The new E5M doesnt appear to be anything radically different from the old E5; except for the sleeker chassis design. I have a stock and a modded E5. The stock unit is a good player .... but nothing special. My reservation about the player is the questionable reliability of the transport/ laser mechanism. However, the transport is easy to replace and there are detailed instructions on how to replace the transport on the net.

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new E5M doesnt appear to be anything radically different from the old E5; except for the sleeker chassis design. I have a stock and a modded E5. The stock unit is a good player .... but nothing special. My reservation about the player is the questionable reliability of the transport/ laser mechanism. However, the transport is easy to replace and there are detailed instructions on how to replace the transport on the net.

Thanks sacd lover!

My gut is telling me to go with a Rega Apollo demo that is for sale for $850 instead of the E5-m. Any thoughts on the Apollo over the Eastsound?

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Thanks sacd lover!

My gut is telling me to go with a Rega Apollo demo that is for sale for $850 instead of the E5-m. Any thoughts on the Apollo over the Eastsound?

I have not heard the M. I am sure it is better than the origianl E5 and E5 Signature

The original E5 had some tone glare with some harshness - on some CDs - at times. Early transport problems have been resolved now for years, in spite of what sacd lover may say. I do free labor in repairing the laser or transport on any E5, whether in warranty or not, or for the original owner or not. This takes a few hours of my time per year and I enjoy it. Some people assume that Cattylink pays me to tout their products. I lovethe Bada 12 and oge 6210 amps they sell - the Bada 12 is the best headphone amp I have owned or listened, and with the HD600 and Cardas HD600 cable, is better than past ultra-expensive elecrostatic systems I have owned. Again, some people say I give such opnions because I am in the pocket of Cattylink. This is not true at all.

The Rega Apollo is very smooth and free of harshness, but the E5 has higher resolution, forms 3-D images sharply deliniated in black space, and clearly separate an instrument from other instruments in an open soundstage. I prefer the Apollo because of its lack of harshness but others might prefer the E5. The Apollo seems to go for smoothness and lack of harshness at the expense of resolution, but few people would notice this. The greater resolution of the E5 comes at a price, as I said, of some harshness.

The Apollo I owned sparked my interest in the Saturn so I quickly sold my Apollo and bought the Saturn. That was two years ago and since then I have touted the Saturn as the best for the money and urged people to buy it over the E5.

The Rega Saturn has the same sonic signature as the Apollo, but the Saturn has a slightly more natural timbre, slightly better bass, and slightly more resolution (and better 3-D imaging) than the Apollo. It still has some reduced resolution compared to the E5 but without any harshness sometimes found in the E5. It is a Stereophile Class A component - the top class.

I recently bought the new E5 Reference ($1750 USD total, shipped 2 to 3 day express, if you previously bought an E5 from Cattylink). After just a few minutes of listening I realized it was better than the Rega Saturn. My Satrun is up for sell. I have since listened to about 20 CDS and am amazed with each CD of how much better the E5 Reference sounds than my Saturn. The new E5 Platinum Refernce beats the Saturn in every way. The Rega Saturn sounds dull and lifeless by comparison - I am shocked. If the Saturn is a Stereophile Class A component, then the E5 Reference should be a Class A+Super. I would not rate the Saturn as a Class A component, compared to the better E5 Reference.

So the new M would be great if it does not have the harshness of the original E5 and Signature. Maybe some of the tech used in the E5 Reference is also employed in the M. I don't know.

For those who believe my remarks about the E5 Reference and Saturn are invalid as based on my touting Cattylink products, my only hope is that they never buy the E5 Reference (and thereby be punished in denial of great listening pleasure). I know of an Apollo owner who wants to sell his used but excellent Apollo for $700 or maybe less, to raise money for a new E5 Reference, for those who want one.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 18
Looks interesting. I only learned about this new CD player from jakek03's post.

ESOUND E5-m

People think I have a tie-in with cattylink but I don't - they don't send me any info about new products. I only discovered the new E5 Platinum Reference in browsing their web site some time ago, but didn't see the new E5 M at that time.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the M. I am sure it is better than the origianl E5 and E5 Signature.

Why is that? I can't really see anything of note that they've improved in the technology. The M certainly has a sleeker look to it though.

What I'm more interested in, personally, is if the M vs. Platinum is similar to the E5 vs. Signature. The Signature was effectively the same player as the E5, with just a different colour and perhaps different internal wiring. If the Platinum has similar 'upgrades' over the M, it is likely not worth the premium price tag.

EDIT: After looking at the product pages and pictures, it seems that the M is actually a newer product than the Platinum, since it uses a new chassis. The Platinum does have an AES/EBU input, which is nice, but it isn't really clear what else is different between it and the E5/E5 Signature.

EDIT2: My personal favourite: "Crazy Expensive Platinum wire employed for the noble and precise sonic presentation."

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 18
Thanks drarthurwells!

According to an email I received from Cattylink, the E5-m will be less harsh than the previous generation E5 and E5 SE. I have never heard an Eastsound before so I don't know what to expect besides what I have read from posters here on these message boards.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 18
Well, at last I hooked mine up. I posted a thread on the humming transformer but no responses - none from Snowy either. It isn't too bad but given the scar on the remote I got the impression this one was not up to E.Sound standards - it is however better than anything i have ever seen at this price or even double it. Been promised a replacement part for the remote but still waiting on an update from last week.

The sound? I have an AV amp - yes lo-fi Amp - a Sony 1200ES and Quad 11L2 speakers. ZERO fatigue - spacious sound - cymbals have SHAPE - drums are musical instruments - DEPTH with POWER - shimmer and sweetness and 3D stage of immense size (small speakers in a non-ideal position) - WOW! Awesome stuff. Could play this all day. I used to have a Meridian 206B with Yamaha Pre and Power - couldn't come close to this (I also used to sell mid to high end stuff - Krell, Mark Levison, Audiolab, Musical Fidelity, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Stax, Jecklin Float - blah blah blah - this would dovetail easily).

The control is amazing - notes start and stop on a dime with amazing decay - instruments sound like instruments with teh most even-handed sound I have ever experienced from a home-fi setup.

I sat open-mouthed listening to Hounds of Love, such delicacy. Kings of Leon had power and drive. Rythmic attack is brilliant.

Cannot praise this baby enough. A veil has been lifted from my listening (admittedly Cambridge Audio DVD is not the best source but it was tuneful) - cotton removed from my cloth ears...
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by objected /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, at last I hooked mine up. I posted a thread on the humming transformer but no responses - none from Snowy either. It isn't too bad but given the scar on the remote I got the impression this one was not up to E.Sound standards - it is however better than anything i have ever seen at this price or even double it. Been promised a replacement part for the remote but still waiting on an update from last week.

The sound? I have an AV amp - yes lo-fi Amp - a Sony 1200ES and Quad 11L2 speakers. ZERO fatigue - spacious sound - cymbals have SHAPE - drums are musical instruments - DEPTH with POWER - shimmer and sweetness and 3D stage of immense size (small speakers in a non-ideal position) - WOW! Awesome stuff. Could play this all day. I used to have a Meridian 206B with Yamaha Pre and Power - couldn't come close to this (I also used to sell mid to high end stuff - Krell, Mark Levison, Audiolab, Musical Fidelity, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Stax, Jecklin Float - blah blah blah - this would dovetail easily).

The control is amazing - notes start and stop on a dime with amazing decay - instruments sound like instruments with teh most even-handed sound I have ever experienced from a home-fi setup.

I sat open-mouthed listening to Hounds of Love, such delicacy. Kings of Leon had power and drive. Rythmic attack is brilliant.

Cannot praise this baby enough. A veil has been lifted from my listening (admittedly Cambridge Audio DVD is not the best source but it was tuneful) - cotton removed from my cloth ears...
bigsmile_face.gif

Any chance of an update, did you get the problems sorted out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back