New DT990s clicking on heavy bass songs?
May 18, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #16 of 21
I listened to the Youtube track with my 990s and a uDAC2. No clicking. The song is very heavily compressed. How loud are you playing it?

Thanks a lot!

I need to play it quite loud for the headphones to start clicking. But it's still more or less in the area of acceptable listening volume, for me at least. Certainly on the louder side, though. Like I said, I'm using the Little Dot MKII tube amp and it can get pretty loud. I'm kinda worried if you can't replicate the clicking with any volume, though. Do you think it could be a break-in (lack thereof) issue?

May 18, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #17 of 21
I listened to the Youtube track with my 990s and a uDAC2. No clicking. The song is very heavily compressed. How loud are you playing it?

Thanks a lot!

I need to play it quite loud for the headphones to start clicking. But it's still more or less in the area of acceptable listening volume, for me at least. Certainly on the louder side, though. Like I said, I'm using the Little Dot MKII tube amp and it can get pretty loud. I'm kinda worried if you can't replicate the clicking with any volume, though. Do you think it could be a break-in (lack thereof) issue?

Wait... You are hearing this on the lossless official release AND on youtube?

May 18, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #19 of 21
Thanks a lot!

I probably don't play it as loud as you. As the track is so compressed, the bass is much louder than it normally would be and its intensity is relentless. As such, it isn't very difficult to heat up the voice coil in the driver and damage the headphones. By your description, the driver is over exerting, hence the clicking sound. Try playing music at a lower volume. Your ears will thank you. :)

May 18, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #20 of 21
I probably don't play it as loud as you. As the track is so compressed, the bass is much louder than it normally would be and its intensity is relentless. As such, it isn't very difficult to heat up the voice coil in the driver and damage the headphones. By your description, the driver is over exerting, hence the clicking sound. Try playing music at a lower volume. Your ears will thank you. :)

Ah, okay, that's fair. Thank you very much! This track was apparently produced by some guy named "Beck", I'll be sure to send him an invoice if it turns out my cans are now permanently damaged! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back