new dt880s
Jan 26, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seijang
I'm not sure, but I think the bass decay or depth in the DT880s is a little low. THe bass is very well defined, and definitely has body, but when I play rock/metal, there's something missing in the music. I listen to all kinds of music, and after reading about how versatile the DT880s were, I went w/ the DT880s and I am NOT disappointed at all. I love my DT880s, but sometimes I get a twinge of a little more ..err, a slower decay in the bass, I guess.

I always thought the 880 had excellent low bass but that the midbass/ upper bass was to lean. But, I have measured these headphones with a radioshack SPL meter and a 1/3 octave test tone disc and the 880's are ruler flat to about 2khz. But they begin a treble rise at this point culminating with a nasty treble spike around 4-6khz. I wonder if subjectively this treble spike makes them sound to tipped up ...... despite how linear they are from the bass all the way through the midrange. When I used them with music having little treble content the bass always seemed very potent.
confused.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Is this a joke or something? I wouldn't touch a DT880 with "more strongly defined" bass... you can get that from a Koss Portapro. The DT880 has a perfect amount of bass to my ears, bordering on slightly too much at times.

Geesh... give us relief from the invasion of the bassheads...
basshead.gif
rolleyes.gif

No, it's not a joke .... I mean it because there are quite a few people who do not like the quality of bass from the DT880's. (or perceived lack of bass) Others don't like the tipped up treble. To my ears, they lack in the bass region, but this may be due to the treble lift.

I'll wait for someone to review the new version and watch how many people quietly slip away to the new version either for a fuller bass, or because it looks nice!!

Btw, Rather than a Koss portapro, I would go for Senn 650 because you get excellent resolution and bass with a better quality of build. (or was the portapro a joke too?)

Ian

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
As mentioned above, Beyer is trying to position the DT990 as their top of the line can, over the DT880, and that's probably why they are pricier. Are they actually better? We'll have to wait and see.

Well, unless the 990 has changed...no. The 880 destroys the 990, no doubt. I think it's all marketing. They may be changing or adjusting their target audience as well. The bass response is appealing to more casual users with money. 990 is also a bigger number.

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I always thought the 880 had excellent low bass but that the midbass/ upper bass was to lean. But, I have measured these headphones with a radioshack SPL meter and a 1/3 octave test tone disc and the 880's are ruler flat to about 2khz. But they begin a treble rise at this point culminating with a nasty treble spike around 4-6khz. I wonder if subjectively this treble spike makes them sound to tipped up ...... despite how linear they are from the bass all the way through the midrange. When I used them with music having little treble content the bass always seemed very potent.
confused.gif

sacd, you could very well be right. I am fairly new to the audiophile/headphone scene, although I've always been told that I have a good ear (played the violin and piano for 4 years). I never really trained my ear and so its difficult for me to relate what exactly I find is the problem sometimes.

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex paik
im sorry i couldnt be of much help in giving you guys a good review, but im good for one thing.. pictures..

Hey nice pics, Say can someone report on how much these leak? Semi-Closed? I am looking for some closed cans but if these are not too obtrusive to people nearby I just might pick me up a pair.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 1, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #37 of 39
From HeadWize (the main page):

"1/4/2006: For 2006, Beyerdynamic is introducing new models (MMX 1, FX 1) and updating three classic models: DT 990, DT 880 and DT 770. The translucent blue MMX1 is a USB headset, based on the model DT 131/231 headphones. A new portable-type, the FX1 folds into a compact package and comes in several colors, particularly iPod white. The updates to the classic models appear to be primarily cosmetic (such as the addition of high-grade steel grills to the DT880 and braille markings on the headbands), except possibly for the new DT990 which is rumored to be a more pervasive upgrade. The sonic signature of the new DT990 is said to be closer to the Sennheiser HD650 and the AKG K701. The modular construction of the upgraded classic models allows users to replace all serviceable parts."

I always found it strange that the DT880 was better than the DT990. I believe it was a newer design than the DT990, but Beyer's explanation always seemed rather ... inconclusive. The DT880 was supposed to "combine the sonic advantages of an open and a closed headphone design".
Anyone willing to explain the sonic advantages of a closed headphone? I didn't know there were any
biggrin.gif

Perhaps it was just gibberish and the DT880 just sounded better because is was a newer design.
Anyway, I have no trouble believing that Beyer can make the new DT990 (sonically) the new king of the block if they wish to do so [even without using necessarily better/different drivers].

Feb 2, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
confused.gif

Someone posted elsewhere that the cheap Radio Shack SPL meter really isn't particularly accurate outside of a fairly narrow frequency range, certainly not for this kind of sensitive testing. People use expensive testing rigs and custom heads for a reason, y'know
smily_headphones1.gif
. No offence, but the Headroom graph is probably more accurate than your test... http://www.headphone.com/products/he...mic-dt-880.php

Feb 2, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Am I the only one who thinks the previous version looked WAY better?

Definitely not. Although I will admit that the new ones are not as horrible as I thought they would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back