new dt880s
Jan 25, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 39
i thought the new mustang looked ugly when it first came out in 1999 but after some time, it started to look much better than the older ones, 93~98.

it might take some time to get used to the newer design...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Agreed... I still prefer the look of the older one, but the newer doesn't look as bad as I thought. A little less 'serious' and high end, but not bad. The plate with the model number is pretty cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
The new one looks good, but I still prefer the more "professional-looking" older one.

I, too, would prefer the old, more pro-looking version. However, I must say that we shouldn't be so conservative and accept the change. It's just like with car designs, namely BMW and Mercedes recently, with their completely new looks. I'm sure I'll grow to love the design! In fact, I think that I've managed to convince myself through the course of writing this post!

Which impedance version did you get? How is the comfort?

Congratulations and do enjoy your spanking-new DT880s!

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #18 of 39
Does anyone know why the DT990 costs more than the DT880 (2006 models)?

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #19 of 39
I think they look great, congrats, and thanks for sharing the first "real world" pics of this can! (Audio shows don't count!)
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dork Knight
Does anyone know why the DT990 costs more than the DT880 (2006 models)?

As mentioned above, Beyer is trying to position the DT990 as their top of the line can, over the DT880, and that's probably why they are pricier. Are they actually better? We'll have to wait and see.

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex paik
well, i guess im the only one that prefers the newer style than the older one..
confused.gif

No, i'm with you. I like the look of the new version better. I like the rounded cups, the plate on the screen and just the overall esthetics a little more. Hope you get lots of enjoyment from them! Welcome to Head-Fi!

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #22 of 39
i'm with you guys also. i'm into the look of the new one but still, i wouldn't mind having a pair of the old ones either. sonically, there shouldn't be a difference between the new and old versions, right?

Jan 25, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #24 of 39
if they did the same thing they did with the dt770, the mid range would be improved. their is a thread i just read with an a/b comparison between the new/old. i have to admit i didn't read the whole thing but that was the conclusion at the end of the thread. i also think i recall a thread about the new dt880's and that they didn't sound the same as the old ones.

Jan 25, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
i'm with you guys also. i'm into the look of the new one but still, i wouldn't mind having a pair of the old ones either. sonically, there shouldn't be a difference between the new and old versions, right?

I asked Beyer Dynamic and their commercial said "there are aesthetic changes, but the technical characteristics remain the same".

Moreover I'm convinced that if there was any sound improvement with the new model Beyer Dynamic would have communicated about it !
biggrin.gif

However any change in the shape of "the shell" may modify its acoustic properties and consequenty could affect the sound (I mainly refer to the new shape of the grid)...
This being so I would be astonished if there were more differences (except cosmetic ones) between the "new" and the "old" DT880s than between to DT880s of the same generation of different batchs.
biggrin.gif

Fred

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
If someone said that they have a more strongly defined bass, how many people would change their old phones for the new version?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ian

Is this a joke or something? I wouldn't touch a DT880 with "more strongly defined" bass... you can get that from a Koss Portapro. The DT880 has a perfect amount of bass to my ears, bordering on slightly too much at times.

Geesh... give us relief from the invasion of the bassheads...
basshead.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #27 of 39
The new ones look much better than I was assuming by the press photos... actually the poor looks in the press photos lead me to pull the trigger on the old DT-880s faster in the fear I might have to settle for the new ones. But my fear was uncalled for judging by these pictures.
880smile.png

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #28 of 39
Am I the only one who thinks the previous version looked WAY better?

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Is this a joke or something? I wouldn't touch a DT880 with "more strongly defined" bass... you can get that from a Koss Portapro. The DT880 has a perfect amount of bass to my ears, bordering on slightly too much at times.

Geesh... give us relief from the invasion of the bassheads...
basshead.gif
rolleyes.gif

I'm not sure, but I think the bass decay or depth in the DT880s is a little low. THe bass is very well defined, and definitely has body, but when I play rock/metal, there's something missing in the music. I listen to all kinds of music, and after reading about how versatile the DT880s were, I went w/ the DT880s and I am NOT disappointed at all. I love my DT880s, but sometimes I get a twinge of a little more ..err, a slower decay in the bass, I guess.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seijang
I'm not sure, but I think the bass decay or depth in the DT880s is a little low. THe bass is very well defined, and definitely has body, but when I play rock/metal, there's something missing in the music. I listen to all kinds of music, and after reading about how versatile the DT880s were, I went w/ the DT880s and I am NOT disappointed at all. I love my DT880s, but sometimes I get a twinge of a little more ..err, a slower decay in the bass, I guess.

If you have a good eq (get Foobar2000), you can take a look at the DT 880's frequency response graph at Headroom and attenuate that spike you'll see and then the bass stands out a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back