New DT880's in the USA
Mar 3, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 18
Would you guys be willing to remeasure the freq response to see if the new design has affected the sound any?

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Would you guys be willing to remeasure the freq response to see if the new design has affected the sound any?

I'm sure it's affected the sound somehow. We will measure them but they need at least 300 hours of burn-in first.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 18
I think that there IS a slight difference. I have both and using just my ears, the new versions seems slightly more mellow. I have posted this in another DT880 thread since I am now wondering whether there are variations between drivers which accounts for such different opinions of the DT880.

(Best Beyer thread)

Currently, I've fallen for the new version.

Ian

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 18
Can't believe it, but I just ordered a pair. Hope they get here next week
biggrin.gif

My current DT 880s will be up for sale if these new ones are keepers, and once they arrive(and burn-in), I will compare them both and post the results here.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 18
I believe the difference in sound comes from extra damping material in the housing. That's the biggest difference we notice in their construction.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944
My current DT 880s will be up for sale if these new ones are keepers, and once they arrive(and burn-in), I will compare them both and post the results here.

This is quite strange. First go - when I took them out of the box, they resembled my old 880's so much it was unbelieveable. After 48 hours, they seem to have mellowed and the make my old pair sound slightly edgy. The sound of applause on a CD really pointed it out to me originally which made me listen more attentively to music.

It makes me now wonder whether my feelings of brightness have been to do with a variation problem since the new pair sound so sweet. It's a very slight difference and jumping between the two of them pointed it out to me.

If I had not have done this, I probably wouldn't have noticed. It is slight but I'm staying with these without a doubt.

It could be one of a few things:

New cones - stiffer?
Enclosure is more rounded.
The pads put the cones further away from my ears 'cos they're new.
I'm a deaf nutter and have got this wrong.

Seriously, I feel bad if my comments about brightness that I have made in the past have been based on the fact that my old Beyers haven't been quite right since I wouldn't have known.

Ian

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
How about those new 990s? Any word on when they'll be arriving?

I'm working on it. I should have a sample soon.

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
I believe the difference in sound comes from extra damping material in the housing. That's the biggest difference we notice in their construction.

It does sound slightly tweaked to my ears. Makes you wonder whether Beyer have been reading this site!

I have been playing them for just over 50 hours. They sound slightly smoother with less of an edge and a slightly more rounded sound. It's subtle and helps relax the sound a little in comparison to its older brother.

I feel that this headphone could really do well against the AKG K701 perhaps ...... I don't feel that urge to try the 701's any more because of the new Beyer. (I hope I'm not getting a placebo effect!!!)

Ian

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
I feel that this headphone could really do well against the AKG K701 perhaps ...... I don't feel that urge to try the 701's any more because of the new Beyer. (I hope I'm not getting a placebo effect!!!)

Ian

No, try the 701's anyway....we need to know.....take one for the team and report back
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
No, try the 701's anyway....we need to know.....take one for the team and report back
tongue.gif

tongue.gif

I normally don't have to buy headphones but I paid for these so they have to sound good.

Ian

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 18
Actually, I also prefer the soft bag to that cruddy tine box of the old version although we all know that the tin box is more protective if you pack them in a case or something.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back