New Digital Designs full size DXB-03
Sep 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

shortfuze

Head-Fier
This is all I know so far quoted from their monthly newsletter:

"The soon to be released DXB-03 Studio Grade Headphones allow you to immerse yourself in audio bliss (while radiating an impeccable style aura). The over-sized 50mm driver is housed in a large vented chamber for deep natural bass response. The DXB-03s are ergonomically designed with soft leather earpads for extended listening comfort, and a adjustable (brushed stainless steel) padded headband for custom fit and durability."

276.jpg

Thoughts? I like the looks, and the detachable cord looks a little small but easily replaceable. I have plenty of Digital Designs audio gear in my car, and the sound is some of the best I've ever heard. Their ear buds haven't ever went over real well here though.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Hey guys!!
Here is a full write up on our new DXB-03 Headphones

DD Audio’s continuous search for the most convenient and True To the Source ways for customers to enjoy their music led to the production of the DXB-03.  

The (neo-retro designed) DXB-03 Studio Grade Headphones allow you to immerse yourself in audio bliss (while radiating an impeccable style aura). The naturally finished Bubinga wood housing delivers a wide soundstage with the perfect balance between warmth and crystal clear detail. The over-sized 50mm driver is housed in a large vented chamber for deep natural bass response. The DXB-03s are ergonomically designed with soft leather earpads for extended listening comfort, and a adjustable (brushed stainless steel) padded headband for custom fit and durability. The audio transfer cable is made with TPE coated fabric and oxygen free copper wire for maximum durability and sound quality. The cable is also detachable and has an integrated microphone for handsfree communication when incoming calls interrupt your soundscape.  

Features:

Natural Finish Bubinga Wood Housing

Deep Bass Response, Wide Soundstage, Clear Musical Details.

Large Vented Chamber for Rich Acoustic Transfer.

100% Acoustic-Electronic Test to Ensure Balanced Sound.

Durable cable with TPE coating and OFC wires

Detachable Audio Transfer Cable w/ Integrated Hands-free Microphone

Technical Data:

Speaker size: 50mm

Frequency response: 20Hz – 20KHz

Sensitivity: 113+/-3dB At 1KHz1mW

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 12
I just received a pair from a friend's sound shop.

I compare the DXB-03 with the ATH M50.

The one thing that suprised me is that the DXBs are on the ear style.  All the promo pics make them seem larger than they already are.

Regardless of that the wires are detachable (and feature a neat microphone) but flimsy.  The DD headphones are obviously made for listening from portable music devices and phones.

I referenced two tracks while listening to the two sets of cans.  A track from the ACM Gospel Choir, Joyful Joyful and a track from The Bloody Beetroots, Rombo.

The most striking difference between the two aside from aesthetics and fit was the pronounced midbass response from my cherry set of DXBs.  As someone who refuses to listen to Beats headphones, I would imagine that the DDs are somewhere inbetween the response of the Beats and the M50s.  The response was noticably different and nearly "sloppy" versus the M50s more balanced/neutral low end response.  It's going to be interesting to hear what happens to the DXBs when I spend more time with them after a break in period.  Something tells me that they won't mellow out.  "Deep Bass Response, Wide Soundstage, Clear Musical Details."  Deep bass response meaning a boosted bottom end through watever means.  A wide sounstage meaning from ear to ear, sure.

What I came away with from the DXBs is that it was like listening to a car stereo with the bass boost on versus the M50s with a flat EQ.  The DXBs upper end response could be seen as nearly equal to the M50s but certainly not better.

Now, are the DXBs worth the price that MSRP asks?  Not hardly IMHO.  They should at maximum be $75-$100.  I'd be loathe to spend anything over $100 for the DXBs honestly.  With all the trim work, I feel that something in the actual response was missed in the original design.  Are they bad?  No, not exactly.  They're just not what I'd expect out of something that is on the same price level as the over the ear ATH M50s.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 12
Well darn. Glad I jumped on the $99 presale, but sad I spent it at all now. I just got my 325is and am anxiously stalking the mailman waiting for the 8.a's to be delivered. Also have found a strong determination to have the T1's in the next month. Guess these will make a decent Christmas present for a friend that doesn't need much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back