New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
May 8, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #616 of 759
That is theoretically possible, of course. But Alvin says the cable is critical to the performance of the RJ45/I2S connection so you'd better be really good at terminating it IMO.
Good point!

May 9, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #617 of 759
The Iris owner's manual does not have any guide for configuring the HDMI pinout like the Hermes/Gaia owner's manual does.
Therefore, if Iris has any issue on I2S of Sonnet DAC, it may not be possible to fix.
As far as I know, there is no option to configure pinout of RJ45 i2s on any Denafrips DDC. The pinout option is for HDMI only.
So the only option to use Sonnet DAC with Denafrips DDC is to create special RJ45 cable (because default RJ45 i2s config is not compatible). I have Sonnet Morpheus and Denafrips Gaia DDC, but my Morpheus does not have I2S card, so I am unable to try it myself.
Anyway, I am not sure if I2S via RJ45 would be 100% compatible even in the case of special cable. Sonnet has created its own special I2s protocol, they warn about it on their website...

May 18, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #618 of 759
Been using Iris connected to Topping D90SE using IIS -> Monolith liquid platinum using RCA -> focal clear MG and I can't really tell if I'm hearing any difference when streaming from Qobuz. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong

May 24, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #619 of 759
Been using Iris connected to Topping D90SE using IIS -> Monolith liquid platinum using RCA -> focal clear MG and I can't really tell if I'm hearing any difference when streaming from Qobuz. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong
Do you use a streamer or do you stream from a pc/laptop? From a streamer i would think its less effect on a DDC.

Im thinking to get a denafrips DDC, wondering if going to a Hermes/GAIA would be a big improvement over a iris? My dac is the pontus 2 with firmware 1.0

May 24, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #622 of 759
Im thinking to get a denafrips DDC, wondering if going to a Hermes/GAIA would be a big improvement over a iris? My dac is the pontus 2 with firmware 1.0

I have the Gaia and an Iris (and a Holo Red). I have never heard a Hermes.

I am a fan of using DDC's as long as they are very high quality (and the Denafrips DDC's allow the use of HDMI I2S which in my opinion is by far the best input on the several Denafrips DAC's I've owned over the years).

Iris is a good DDC for the money, Gaia is simply better in all sonic aspects. Gaia is an outstanding DDC. More transparency, details are more apparent, more holographic, instruments have more body, increased realism. The degree of improvement in these sonic aspects going from Iris to Gaia is hard to quantify. The differences are worth it to me, but others may have a different opinion. As we push things in audio, small gains are costly, everyone will have a different threshold for money spent vs. sonic improvment.

With your setup, I'd either go Hermes or Iris, but see what Alvin says. I am pretty sure he will steer you away from Gaia, unless you are planning to move up to a Terminator at some point.

Edited.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #623 of 759
planning to connect a GAIA via I2S to a Gustard X26pro. I2S pinouts of DAC see below
How to make sure pinouts are compatible?
thanks!

Attachments

• x26p_i2s_pinout.PNG
    x26p_i2s_pinout.PNG
    408.5 KB · Views: 0
May 24, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #624 of 759
I paired the DDC Hermes with my Pontus II and I'm very satisfied with it.
I previously had a DDC Iris with the Pontus II, but the sound has improved with the Hermes.
If you can, I suggest you take the Hermes directly which, in my opinion, is the ideal match for the Pontus.

May 24, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #625 of 759
Do you use a streamer or do you stream from a pc/laptop? From a streamer i would think its less effect on a DDC.

I stream it from PC directly using a USB cable. To test, I switch the usb cable between DAC and Iris while listening to the same song. I can sort of hear that the song sounds more centered(?) with Iris vs without

May 24, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #626 of 759
FWIW Alvin has said that the Hermes is the best value in DDCs. I would have have bought one but my T2 is silver and the Hermes only comes in black so I got a Gaia. Either way, as long as you use I2S, I think a Denafrips DDC is money well spent.

May 24, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #627 of 759
planning to connect a GAIA via I2S to a Gustard X26pro. I2S pinouts of DAC see below
How to make sure pinouts are compatible?
thanks!
According to the Denafrips Gaia manual, the pinouts need to be set to Mode 5: 1-0-1 on the Gaia LEDs. This sets the first pins of the DATA, BCK, and LRCK to + and the second pins for each to -.

May 24, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #628 of 759

Had an Iris and loved it. But, I replaced it with the Hermes after about 6 months. Be aware that the Iris has only a single USB input. I quickly wanted to attach more sources to it because of how well it performed. On the Hermes I now have my Gustard X26, a Musician Draco, a streamer, and my Mac connected to it. It's such a great piece of gear
In short, if the price difference isn't an issue for you, get the Hermes. You will love those additional inputs.

May 25, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #629 of 759
Had an Iris and loved it. But, I replaced it with the Hermes after about 6 months. Be aware that the Iris has only a single USB input. I quickly wanted to attach more sources to it because of how well it performed. On the Hermes I now have my Gustard X26, a Musician Draco, a streamer, and my Mac connected to it. It's such a great piece of gear
In short, if the price difference isn't an issue for you, get the Hermes. You will love those additional inputs.
Hows the sound quality? Ill be using only with usb connection and wont be needing other features. Thanks for all the feedbacks

May 25, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #630 of 759
Hows the sound quality? Ill be using only with usb connection and wont be needing other features. Thanks for all the feedbacks
I think I would characterize the sound of both the Iris and the Hermes similarly. What I heard was... nothing. I am not the greatest at sound description. What these DDC's did for my ears was create a very "dark," "BLACK," quiet, silent background. This allowed "space" between the notes, the instruments. Everything seemed just a wee bit cleaner and clearer, more distinct and "airier." I don't want to overstate it, that you'll be blown away!! But the sound will seem more real, bigger, and clearer if you are listening INTO the music.
Now, did I hear a difference between the Iris and the Hermes? I cannot say that I did, or that I am capable of hearing a difference. That being said, I was, and still am, more than willing to pay more for the Hermes for all those additional inputs.
I have a few good DACs and I liked what both of these pieces added to my listening enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back