New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Oct 20, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #571 of 759
I saw a YouTube reviewer (Passion for Sound) on his DDC review, mentioned that the USB cable used from source to DDC is not as important as the I2S cable from DDC to the DAC. So sounds like if one had to invest money for a higher quality cable, would be to focus on getting a better I2S cable for that part of the connection.

Did you guys had that same experience or thought process?

I didn't plan it this way but my USB cable (Tubulus Argentus) is nicer than my I2S (DH Labs 2.1). I've thought about upgrading the I2S but it doesn't seem like a priority. A long time ago I saw either a post or video from Alvin and I believe he uses fairly modest Audioquest cables, I forget which model exactly.

Oct 30, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #572 of 759
So I have upgraded my whole chain and would say my Pontus 2 is my weak link. Although I'm not complaining. I started thinking about getting a Venus 2...that would be reasonable for what I have. Heck Terminator would play in my system, but I'm not paying for that.

But then I see Hermes... Read the thread... What would be a bigger upgrade... A Hermes, or a Venus? (to add not entirely thrilled with getting more cables)

I have a mercury streamer with internal M2 drive. Internet is hardwired with decent cable, and I2S out to Pontus 2. I would never use computer or USB.

Thanks.

Oct 30, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #573 of 759
Tough call. Since you already have I2S into your DAC I’d get with the Venus (or a Terminator). But I don’t think you would be wrong with either, and can still get the other later.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #575 of 759
I have a mercury streamer with internal M2 drive. Internet is hardwired with decent cable, and I2S out to Pontus 2. I would never use computer or USB.
What do you mean decent Ethernet cable? You can use a standard UTP patch cable, no problem.

I am not sure Pontus is a weak link. It has better oscilators than streamer. Not saying that it makes a big difference, just for example. Did you try compare AES connection with other plugs (HDMI) disconnected?

I think you can do more with streamer. Disconnect Ethernet cable and try a WiFi extender on a short UTP cable (long enough to reach extender plugged into your power extension box that both streamer and a DAC use), cost $10-$15 like on this link. It can be any, but my preference is without power cable, just a plain box with a plug. Configure extender as a wired Ethernet adapter. There is no need to adjust settings on the streamer and most of WiFi extenders will configure automatically for this mode. If there are improvements, it means a noise is coming from LAN connection. I don't need to add that internal WiFi radio of the streamer should be disabled.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #576 of 759
Roughly speaking, would the gains be the same magnitude for either? Not everything equal... Just generally?

First, let me be clear that I don't claim any special authority or experience. What I'm saying is mostly based on reading posts on this and another site. So very much FWIW/JMO/YMMV. But I will give you my experience too, also very much FWIW.

My impression is that adding a DDC to an Ares/Pontus class DAC is (ballpark) like moving at least one up the Denafrips DAC line. But that is for people with USB connections. I don't know about anyone with a I2S connection adding a DDC, that is what is new to me. And now that I think about it the Denafrips DDCs don't even have an I2S input so this probably makes the whole discussion moot.

My personal experience is this: I don't stream, I mostly spin CDs (via AES/EBU) but have a growing collection of downloads and rips I play from a (dedicated, tweaked) Windows laptop via USB. I replaced my previous (pretty nice) DAC with a Terminator 2 and was blown away by the improvement. So I got a Gaia (I would have preferred a Hermes but my DAC is silver and Hermes only comes in black....). Adding the Gaia via I2S was another incremental step up. I had ordered BNC cables to sync the clock between the DDC and DAC but they were hung up in the supply chain so I listened to the unsync'd Gaia for a couple of weeks. When the BNC cables arrived that was another small, but welcome improvement.

Finally, I'll add I agree your DAC may not be your weak link. Several other online friends who do stream have reported big improvements by upgrading their ethernet connection. One thing almost everyone agrees on is switch mode power supplies (SMPS) close to your streamer/DAC/amp need to be avoided at all costs. Replacing them with linear power supplies is usually a nice upgrade. Some of them are using fiber and media converters to connect their streamer back to the "main switch" and a couple of others have recently added an EtherREGEN switch in front of their streamers and reported significant improvements. Managing the network at a mid-major research university was my day job for several years and either because or in spite of that I want nothing to do with networking when it comes to my music :L3000: .

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #577 of 759
Thanks guys, you give na a lot to think about.

In general, some agree than WiFi can sound better. Me... I just believe a wired connection is better. I use an audioquest forest ether net cable. Nothing high dollar, just decent. My streamer has a LPS. I2S to Pontus is typically considered best... And I have no need to use USB and add boxes to fix it.

I will have to try wifi to know. Right now broadband modem is next to stack. Even if it stayed, no need for extender. I assume that is for in general to improve signal.

Now I have a cheap Panamax surge/filter outlet (4). I have wondered if it's time to do better power supply. I can get a better one for streamer... But pontus and amp have good power supplies... So I don't give it much thought.

As it stands... I just got some Dynaudio Heritage Specials. All my cables Istreched for and are all good. No more cables. And next couple days I'm trying to finish covering my room in insulation. The little bit if done has already cleaned up a lot. So once I'm done with room and enjoying... If I can't hear a difference in gear there isn't one.... Meaning I can try some of these things and find out. I am certainly good with getting best internet front end.

The M2 drive playing direct from Mercury to Pontus... Yes, it is better than streaming, but both are fantastic. I am using Volumio, but have played with Lumin, Audiarvana, and configured Gentoo Player... But not the new version.. Yet. That too I was going to figure out once I'm done with room.

Oct 31, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #578 of 759
I will have to try wifi to know. Right now broadband modem is next to stack. Even if it stayed, no need for extender. I assume that is for in general to improve signal.
I knew, you were using shielded Ethernet cable. :) WiFi extender is not used in this case for extending coverage, but to break ground loops coming from Ethernet devices.

What else is connected to your broadband modem? What is feeding a modem: cable, fiber or wireless?

I see that when you play local files, quality is better. I forgotten, this test is quicker. It shouldn't be that, you can fix it.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #579 of 759
I knew, you were using shielded Ethernet cable. :) WiFi extender is not used in this case for extending coverage, but to break ground loops coming from Ethernet devices.

What else is connected to your broadband modem? What is feeding a modem: cable, fiber or wireless?

I see that when you play local files, quality is better. I forgotten, this test is quicker. It shouldn't be that, you can fix it.
Coax cable feeding broadband modem. Mercury is only wired connection. It also runs VOIP phone line, so phone is hooked up. That's it.

So you are saying local files should not be better, and if streaming isn't equal, it should be improved. Most everyone with a Mercury, or Pi device thinks local files are always better which is why I wanted it. It's not night and day, and it might just be in my head... But I think it's better. But what I really love is actions are instantaneous. Drive files output I2S straight to DAC... I love it. Want more files.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #581 of 759
So is it still generally true that the biggest improvement from a DDC is for USB from computer? That I2S sees less of an improvement? I may yet still consider one, I just have to keep that in mind.

Denafrips DDCs don't have an I2S input so to start you'd need to find a DDC that does. And I'm no help with that but maybe others are.

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #582 of 759
So is it still generally true that the biggest improvement from a DDC is for USB from computer? That I2S sees less of an improvement? I may yet still consider one, I just have to keep that in mind.
DDC, yes. The one that do not reclock USB port, but keep asynchronous data delivery. It gives a highest performance from internal oscilators. I don't need to recommend DI-20HE.

Improvement is always great with PC source, smaller when USB host is a low noise streamer like yours. Performance can be further improved if there is 10MHz clock port available.

Nov 8, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #583 of 759
I have the Hermes and a Pontus II - they work great together with both i2s and AES/EBU into the DAC.

I recently purchased an Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE. Audio Mirror says the i2s implementation is using the psaudio i2s standard. From what I've read, the psaudio i2s standard is 1 0 0 which I think is equivalent to mode 1 on the Hermes. I know I can do trial & error to find out but would like to know if anyone can confirm the 1 0 0 setting?

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #584 of 759
I have added the Denafrips Aether to the chain. Noticeable improvement in the sound. It connects to the Gaia using the clock cables that previously connected the Gaia to the T+ clock out. It replaces the clocks in the Gaia and the T+.

Nov 25, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #585 of 759
I have added the Denafrips Aether to the chain. Noticeable improvement in the sound. It connects to the Gaia using the clock cables that previously connected the Gaia to the T+ clock out. It replaces the clocks in the Gaia and the T+.

Thanks for posting, but I did not want to hear that :wink: . What are you using for BNC cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back