New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Oct 7, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #556 of 759
DH Labs HDMI 2.1 Seems like a really good value. I'm using a Tubusus Argentus USB cable and have considered upgrading the HDMI, but it doesn't seem like a priority.
I've been wondering about DH Labs more generally, have read good things. Currently using Blue Jeans and considering a switch.

Oct 11, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #558 of 759
Today i tried to test a new Usb cable, after that my PC did not recognized the Hermes anymore (both via the new and old usb cable).
Is your new USB cable unpowered? Denafrips USB modules require the power line.

https://www.denafrips.com/support
USB 2.0 Cable
DENAFRIPS DAC USB receiver is powered by its internal regulated, low noise, low ripple, high speed linear power supply.

However, it needs the USB cable to supply the +5vdc as a logic signal to trigger the internal power supply to the USB receiver. This design is intentional for best sound quality consideration.

Please use a good quality USB2.0 Type A/B cable less than or equal to <= 6ft/2m length for best results.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #560 of 759
There were some tips that Denafrips mentioned somewhere on the website or manual, can't remember exactly. When pressing buttons on the dac or perhaps even swapping cables in your case (especially in dry/low humidity climates), to touch the dac metal case first to avoid electric shock. Wondering if you had encountered this scenario.

But sorry to hear about the bad news. Email Alvin, I am sure this is covered under warranty.

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #562 of 759
When pressing buttons on the dac or perhaps even swapping cables in your case (especially in dry/low humidity climates), to touch the dac metal case first to avoid electric shock. Wondering if you had encountered this scenario.
When you touch a metal case you may feel sensation, but it is safe (assuming having a 3-prong power plug with a ground pin). Keep touching a case while attaching plugs. USB is hot-swap, it can be attached while device is powered on, but this is a standard procedure for all home equipment.

Oct 19, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #563 of 759
Anyone compared the IRIS and Hermes DDC on the same dac to see what differences can be heard by stepping up to the higher model?

Oct 19, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #564 of 759
Anyone compared the IRIS and Hermes DDC on the same dac to see what differences can be heard by stepping up to the higher model?
I am also interested. Of course the big issue is Ares II doesn't have I2S in, so we need someone with Pontus to answer really.

Oct 19, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #565 of 759

I have a Gaia and an Iris, and still use them both in different setups.

My personal subjective impressions having A/B'ed them on the same DAC/system: These DDC's don't change tonality. Your system will sound the same except that....

Both of these DDC's are detail/imaging/sound stage/holography/background blackness enhancers.

Details pop out more clearly, imaging becomes more precise. The layering of the instruments/vocals on the sound stage seems more precise, separated and defined, and you get a blacker background. Both the Gaia and Iris work wonders in the above departments (on a relative audiophile scale), the improvements in each of these elements is simply more noticeable and apparent with the Gaia as compared to the Iris. To me, the extra money is worth it, but I'm obsessively nit picky.

I've bought, compared, sold many DDC's over the years and Denafrips DDC's are really good. Before Denafrips, my favorite DDC was the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB, but the Gaia bumped it off the top shelf, and the Alpha is an amazing unit. Even the relatively humble Iris is a great buy and recommended. I've never heard the Hermes, but I know Alvin recommends it over the Gaia unless you want to push things to the bleeding edge.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #566 of 759
I have a Gaia and an Iris, and still use them both in different setups.

My personal subjective impressions having A/B'ed them on the same DAC/system: These DDC's don't change tonality. Your system will sound the same except that....

Both of these DDC's are detail/imaging/sound stage/holography/background blackness enhancers.

Details pop out more clearly, imaging becomes more precise. The layering of the instruments/vocals on the sound stage seems more precise, separated and defined, and you get a blacker background. Both the Gaia and Iris work wonders in the above departments (on a relative audiophile scale), the improvements in each of these elements is simply more noticeable and apparent with the Gaia as compared to the Iris. To me, the extra money is worth it, but I'm obsessively nit picky.

I've bought, compared, sold many DDC's over the years and Denafrips DDC's are really good. Before Denafrips, my favorite DDC was the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB, but the Gaia bumped it off the top shelf, and the Alpha is an amazing unit. Even the relatively humble Iris is a great buy and recommended. I've never heard the Hermes, but I know Alvin recommends it over the Gaia unless you want to push things to the bleeding edge.
Thanks for the feedback. Does adding the Iris or Gaia change the listener's perspective? For example, like do they put you in row 5 with the DDC, and without it you are sitting in row 10? If so, does the more expensive DDC put you closer to the performance or further away compared to just using the DAC with no DDC. Or do the DDCs don't alter that trait.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #568 of 759
I saw a YouTube reviewer (Passion for Sound) on his DDC review, mentioned that the USB cable used from source to DDC is not as important as the I2S cable from DDC to the DAC. So sounds like if one had to invest money for a higher quality cable, would be to focus on getting a better I2S cable for that part of the connection.

Did you guys had that same experience or thought process?

Oct 20, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #569 of 759
I saw a YouTube reviewer (Passion for Sound) on his DDC review, mentioned that the USB cable used from source to DDC is not as important as the I2S cable from DDC to the DAC. So sounds like if one had to invest money for a higher quality cable, would be to focus on getting a better I2S cable for that part of the connection.

Did you guys had that same experience or thought process?
Makes sense.

Oct 20, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #570 of 759
The same. HDMI cable doesn't need to be expensive, just find the shortest one matching your layout and without wires on unused pins. These two things are important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back