New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #781 of 1,155
Questions for people smarter than myself:

Note: I'm using a FIIO M17 DAP.

1) How do you know what the current volume level of the IO-12s is? When I raise or lower it the volume value on my DAP doesn't change. Both volume controls seem to be independent of each other.

2) I tried USB connection today from my DAP. How do I know the IO-12 is actually using USB and not Bluetooth?

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #782 of 1,155
Questions for people smarter than myself:

Note: I'm using a FIIO M17 DAP.

1) How do you know what the current volume level of the IO-12s is? When I raise or lower it the volume value on my DAP doesn't change. Both volume controls seem to be independent of each other.

2) I tried USB connection today from my DAP. How do I know the IO-12 is actually using USB and not Bluetooth?

Thanks!
For 2, disconnect Bluetooth from your player.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #784 of 1,155
While switching iO-12s on and off is a breeze, resetting is a nightmare. User guide says: "press and hold volume up and down while at the same time briefly press power button". Well, just spent 5 minutes here with no success and gave up. They just do 'power off' for me :frowning2:
How was your experience, folks? Any tips maybe?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #785 of 1,155
While switching iO-12s on and off is a breeze, resetting is a nightmare. User guide says: "press and hold volume up and down while at the same time briefly press power button". Well, just spent 5 minutes here with no success and gave up. They just do 'power off' for me :frowning2:
How was your experience, folks? Any tips maybe?
May I ask why you need to reset it?

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #786 of 1,155
Yesterday at the „world of headphones“ in Heidelberg, I had the chance to listen to the iO-12 for 30 Minutes. Great sounding headphone, it beats my Bathys in terms of clarity and detail. The build quality also makes a better impression. The only issue I have is that my ears touch the inside of the earcups. I am not sure if that will be an issue in long listening sessions.
I was there, too. I also had a listen and fell in love immediately. Had to order them right away :) That’s how it looked like there.

Attachments

• IMG_3020.jpeg
    IMG_3020.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #788 of 1,155
The sound quality of the iO-12 is really, without any doubts, excellent --- the tonal balance, resolution, soundstage and very excellent low distortion in bluetooth mode (!) are simply remarkable.

One part of me is happy that this headphone isn't receiving the sufficient attention that is deserving because I really don't like very loooong threads that often containing so many (hundreds!) of useless and meaningless posts, something that is, unfortunately, common in head-fi. But other part of me is feeling a little sorry, but not sorry for the people that don't discovering how good is the iO-12 yet, but for Dali, the company, that I really think spending time in research and development creating a headphone that is very top level and they deserving recognition for this. And my comments are coming from somebody who isn't a fan of the previous iO-6 headphone. But I'm 100% sure this will changing when more genuinely reputable people/reviewers, like Darko (sadly Tyll isn't doing reviews anymore), speaking about this remarkable headphone.

I writing the post above almost 3 months ago. Is good seeing that more people are learning about, and recognising how excellent is, the iO-12, and that this thread until now isn't becoming ridiculously long (like others threads) and that the majority of posts are reasonably relevant and speaking of this headphone.

Is a pity that the now 2 years old excellent Mark Levinson 5909 never receiving the correct attention that is really deserving. The 5909 is still today one very excellent sounding ANC headphone, a headphone that is still the third best sounding ANC headphone in my opinion (after the Solitaire T and iO-12).

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #789 of 1,155
I writing the post above almost 3 months ago. Is good seeing that more people are learning about, and recognising how excellent is, the iO-12, and that this thread until now isn't becoming ridiculously long (like others threads) and that the majority of posts are reasonably relevant and speaking of this headphone.

Is a pity that the now 2 years old excellent Mark Levinson 5909 never receiving the correct attention that is really deserving. The 5909 is still today one very excellent sounding ANC headphone, a headphone that is still the third best sounding ANC headphone in my opinion (after the Solitaire T and iO-12).
I owe it to your posts that I ended up buying them; thank you!

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #790 of 1,155
At this point I think my only complaint is the volume control. I find it so hard to get my finger on the right spot without accidentally pausing the song.

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #791 of 1,155
I haven't written here for a long enough. At this time I did not actively use IO-12. But now it seems to me that they are playing much better than before.
It’s interesting that the quality and richness of the sound is better through the BTD-800 USB dongle than through the phone’s Bluetooth (although in both cases there is AptX HD present, for sure, I checked). But I encountered a problem with the dongle: after 5-10 minutes of non-use, the headphones lose connection and playback does not occur, I have to change the sound source several times on my PC, back and forth, again back and forth, and when the connection returns, the headphones play a fragment of sound from the past :) as if it was frozen queue.
Now, as I already noted, I’m waiting for a Chinese USB dongle, I’ll check it on it and will write my feedback here.

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #792 of 1,155
I haven't written here for a long enough. At this time I did not actively use IO-12. But now it seems to me that they are playing much better than before.
It’s interesting that the quality and richness of the sound is better through the BTD-800 USB dongle than through the phone’s Bluetooth (although in both cases there is AptX HD present, for sure, I checked). But I encountered a problem with the dongle: after 5-10 minutes of non-use, the headphones lose connection and playback does not occur, I have to change the sound source several times on my PC, back and forth, again back and forth, and when the connection returns, the headphones play a fragment of sound from the past :) as if it was frozen queue.
Now, as I already noted, I’m waiting for a Chinese USB dongle, I’ll check it on it and will write my feedback here.
No problems here using them with BT-W5 dongle, just in case.

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #793 of 1,155
At this point I think my only complaint is the volume control. I find it so hard to get my finger on the right spot without accidentally pausing the song.

This is strange because I'm probably the person that is changing volume more constantly in all of head-fi, I'm doing this ALL the time (often several times in one track), and for me this great aspect of the iO-12 is one of the principal reasons I deciding selling my Solitaire T and keeping the iO-12, meaning, the instant access to changing volume AND having the volume that I really want (not big jumps like some others ANC/BT headphones). For me is extremely rare that I clicking the play/pause area in the iO-12 when I want changing the volume up or down.

I don't know how you doing this but from the first day I always use my right thumb and middle fingers for holding the right earcup (in the area where the on/off, "Bass" setting and ANC buttons are) because they helping my fingers knowing instantly where all playback actions are, and I use my index finger for clicking volume up; I only use my thumb but sliding all way down (in the same area) and my index finger for clicking volume down.

Attachments

• tempImagebbXXEo.png
    tempImagebbXXEo.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageJZqZqe.png
    tempImageJZqZqe.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #795 of 1,155
Huh interesting, I find the Dali controls the most intuitive. No swiping bs. The only mistake I have made a couple times is accidentally power off while trying to switch ANC mode. But got used to it pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back