New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #601 of 1,175
I just noticed I had a carry case for Audeze Penrose lying around, and figured I’d try it out with IO-12. While it’s definitely chunkier, it still fits into my backbag much better, and is easier to put in and take out of there than the IO-12’s own case.

IMG_0163.jpeg
IMG_0164.jpeg
Definitely interested in finding good carrying cases. Does anyone know of any that have a strap for carabiners?

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #602 of 1,175
Feb 5, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #603 of 1,175
12286912.jpeg

They have arrived… Very quick initial impressions that do not have a single thing to do with sound because I haven’t put them on yet and play music is that they are lighter than I expected and the head phone cushions are super plush… Hi personally love the way they look I know it’s not for everyone but I love it so anyways it’s off to test these for about an hour and I will come back and report my findings

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #604 of 1,175
IMG_5813.jpeg
IMG_5814.jpeg
OK so I am an hour-ISH into listening to these let me give you some quick impressions. As always I don’t have a fancy set up so we’re going Bluetooth ANC on. I’ve had basically every high-end Bluetooth ANC set you can think of so

1. These are super comfortable… Great construction the leather on the ear pads is very deep like deep enough to wear with glasses I have no issues. The memory foam on the headband is also super plush I’m an hour in with no pressure no evil feelings on my head. A+ comfort so far.

2. If I had one sentence to sum up the sound of these headphones this is probably what I would say… These are the most detailed and balanced ANC Bluetooth cans that also sound fun.

3. Let me expand on that. This is not a pure flat neutral headphone. It’s fun, there’s some bass to it there’s some sparkly treble but at no point did I find it imbalanced. It is tuned exquisitely to provide the most fun I can think of for a headphone in this category that I have tried.

4. it really does have a super wide soundstage it’s about as wide as I’ve heard without digital enhancement in this category. Yeah maybe spatial audio on the AirPods max is theoretically a wide or soundstage but I have not found anything better out of the box with no digital enhancements.

5. You guys know I am a Px8 fanboy and I have to say these absolutely sound better. By a mile. There’s enough bass for me to be incredibly happy with it But at the same time yeah the clarity and soundstage is on a different level. Compared to the 5909 it’s got a slightly warmer and slightly more fun sound that I prefer although people people who like a little bit more clinical and a bit more high-end might prefer the 5909 but I do think these are better.

6. ANC is positively average. Passive isolation is great though so the combination should be fine. You can see how big they are on my head. I’m not a small dude at 5’11 240lbs with a big noggin so meh.

7. The instrument separation on these is simply fantastic. Orchestral music is a treat. I threw on the recently recorded phantom of the Opera orchestra symphony and it was a delight. Really likes jazz music as well I enjoyed preservation hall jazz band on it. Electronic and hip-hop is not my forte so? I listen to a couple songs and was fine with it. Handles rock really well like hoarder rock it does a very good job of keeping up with the speed of the guitar and drum thump.

8. Bass mode really pushes the bass forward in the mix… You certainly get more thumb but you lose a lot of the detail and I think you lose a lot of the balance on the mix. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you really really want the thump. I wouldn’t say the sound as bad with it on but I’m much prefer hi-fi mode

Are these worth the money? Yeah they are.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #605 of 1,175
Feb 5, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #606 of 1,175
Except the Solitaire T.
That is correct but I just can’t justify that price. And reading all the reviews and what you say about it it does not feel like it will be the correct sound for me personally and so I’m going to sit that one out.

But you know… I agreed with a lot of what you said about these headphones and I like them very much so for once we are in agreement. Let’s just celebrate that

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #607 of 1,175
That is correct but I just can’t justify that price. And reading all the reviews and what you say about it it does not feel like it will be the correct sound for me personally and so I’m going to sit that one out.

I’m not suggesting at all that you buy or try the Solitaire T. I only correcting your statement above so that people know more precisely your experience with other expensive ANC headphones and don’t have the incorrect idea that you also know, or have experience with, the Solitaire T.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #608 of 1,175
I’m not suggesting at all that you buy or try the Software T. I only correcting your statement above so that people know more precisely your experience with other expensive ANC headphones and don’t have the incorrect idea that you also know the Solitaire T.
Nope. Haven’t had that one. Have had every other one though just about.

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #609 of 1,175
There is now an open box IO-12 on audio46.com. It’s probably mine since they just processed my return. They are basically perfect. None of the accessories/box were even touched and I didn’t even take the sticker off the side of the headphone. Hopefully one of you all can score it. Enjoy!

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #610 of 1,175
Does everyone have the dark chocolate variant?

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #611 of 1,175
Just received my io-12 from audio 46 ---emailed them yesterday asking them if they would let me know if they ever get a return---so I could buy an "open box" for a lower price. The salesperson informed me, obviously there were none , but offered a 10% discount and I decided...what the heck...$ 1070 delivered in about 24 hours. I am outside of New Haven CT --so from NYC-- standard free shipping from audio46 always is overnight free shipping, lol.
I had the Focal Bathys, since last summer and the past month purchased the B&W PX8 ($400 amazon-used-perfect condition) and Mark Levinson 5909 on ebay ( $487 tax-shipping) perfect also----kind of went nuts----
Decided I was just gonna have "the best" wireless headphones...at some point hopefully will acquire the T + A Solitaire---I am gonna sell all my other BT headphones, .about 12 pairs---the rest of what were once the " best"...no longer with these 5 out now.

Just hooking the Dali io-12 up with BT out of the box--THESE are the best sound quality so far-----as far as I can tell at this early stage. More details and clarity----
looking forward to breaking these in and REALLY hearing what they can do---but I can tell that these are superior to the others---:L3000:

Oh---and the B@O H95 is on my "want list" too....at some point......( I think I may need an intervention--Audiophiles Anonymous==
" I swear I can quit anytime I want...honest...." 🤪 )
1070?

Aren’t they 1300, so 10% off is 1170?

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #614 of 1,175
I had the opportunity to compare the IO-12 with the Solitaire T in a shop that has about all important headphones on the planet (at least the ones below 10k Euros). I know this is a totally unfair comparison because it was only 15 min and because I’m owning the IO-12 and am used to it, but still: I must admit that I did not understand the ST, and this was surprising to me. I know it must be an excellent headphone from what I read here, but to me, and in comparison, it sounded somewhat like, sorry sorry, music from a tin can. Yes, the soundstage was maybe deep, but in comparison to the IO-12 it had almost no width, and the midrange seemed overly emphasized to me. A tin can with water in it … sorry again, this is of course exaggerated and not meant as an insult!! Maybe something was wrong with the ST they had on display, or with my ears or brain. But luckily for me, I felt no desire to acquire the ST in addition to my IO-12.

I blame this mostly to the fact that I'm now used to (and somewhat addicted to) the IO-12. I had a similar experience in the 45 min before the IO-ST comparison that I spent listening to HD800S, Susvara, Bravura, and Clear MG (they did not have an Utopia on display that day). I was not impressed at all by the Bravura and only thought "wow" when I listened to the HD800S in comparison (I have this one at home!). The Clear had less treble and seemed good but not necessary to me, and the Susvara had maybe a bit more precision than the HD, but soundstage and imaging was only different, not better to me (and despite the excellent amplifier, the Susvara was clearly underpowered). So also here, I left the shop being content with what I already have at home. Isn't that great? :)

So in short, I probably agree to what was said in this thread: that to really come up with an informed opinion, a brief visit to a shop does sadly not suffice; apparently, one must listen and compare for weeks. And the ST had maybe no chance to impress me in those 15 min, coming from the top-notch headphones I listed above. But I found the IO-12 much closer to those cans than the ST. And yes, it has to do with the music I used for the comparison. This was Mahler 5 second movement, with Berlin Phil and Dudamel (not on Youtube, I'm afraid) and Trains from Porcupine Tree. I thought the ST does Porcupine Tree much better than Mahler. Or rather, the IO-12 was much better for this orchestral recording with a huge soundstage than the ST. Only IMHO, of course.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #615 of 1,175
I've currently got the Bathys, having owned or extensively tried all other major ANC wireless competitors (minus the Solitaire). Out of all those ivd tried, I think the Bathys are definitely the winners in terms of clarity, but I do find them underwhelming sometimes. I think it's perhaps the dynamics don't quite hit right in certain situations.

For those that have tried the Bathys and io-12 - what are the key differences in tonal qualities? How big is the jump in sound quality? I'm looking to audition the io-12, but want to give myself a good indication of what differences I'm going to hear.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back