New DAC?
Oct 12, 2008 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
I have an ancient Rega Planet, Acurus amps, and Vandersteen IIc Signature speakers. I have decided the Rega and Vandersteens are very laid back as a combination.

I would like to upgrade the Rega, but it still works well. So I was considering a coax/rca input DAC. I am not up to date on the latest offerings.

I have a limited budget, so I guess used products are reasonable alternative.

The last one I remember looking at a while ago was the Bel Canto?

Any suggestions?

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 10
How about letting us know your budget? Since you tell that you have one...
$200, $500, $1000, $2000, ...

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 10
I am hoping around the $200 mark. LOL...I should not be spending on this at all!

Used is ok. Something better than the Rega Planet....it is very dated. The red display is faded quite a bit.

I looked at the new Bel Canto and PS Audio...way to pricey.

I might look at a new Marantz.

Had the technology improved enough so a reasonable player is worth upgrading the Rega?

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 10
yes and no, there are players that are "better", but they're much more expensive than $200

DAC wise, I can't think of much at $200 that isn't designed for USB, maybe the Beresford or the Firestone Spitfire, no idea if either of those is really an upgrade though

just as a weird alternate idea, what about a tube buffer, instead of a D/A? (if you just want to play with the sound)

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 10
I've heard the Planet and $200 isn't going to go that far for a credible DAC or CDP upgrade, tbh.

I didn't think the Planet was laidback rather than a bit veiled, though it was quite responsive to cable changes in the test system. Maybe you could look at changing your interconnect to the amp, or indeed the speaker cables.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 10
I found the Rega planet 2000 to have a kind of dull, rolled-off sound and a very small soundstage. Stil had it for 4 years, once in silver once in black, because other similair priced CDP's I couldn't stand to listen too for longer then 10 minutes.
My current Apollo while looking the same OTH sounds great. No more severe rolloff treble to get rid digital nasties, but a very specious clean en clear sound that I can really enjoy.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 10
For less than $200, perhaps the Gigalab Moon NOS DAC for sale on Ebay.

If you're willing to buy a DIY kit, the AudioSector NOS DAC from Peter Daniel would be a very good choice at slightly more than your stated budget.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 10
$200 is a very low mark even for a second hand machine if you would like to really hear the difference. I myself made hit improvement of my MF E60 by adding a EUR 300 second hand Parasound DAC 1000. To my ears it would beat any $2000 standalone cd player i've heard so far. I think these pop-up on ebay from time to time. and if you go for DAC 1500 for some more cash you could get balanced output (if you need it of course)

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 10
The fully upgraded Zero comes to about that. If you can solder -- at the very least replacing the RCA jacks -- you can push it quite a bit further.

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes and no, there are players that are "better", but they're much more expensive than $200

DAC wise, I can't think of much at $200 that isn't designed for USB, maybe the Beresford or the Firestone Spitfire, no idea if either of those is really an upgrade though

just as a weird alternate idea, what about a tube buffer, instead of a D/A? (if you just want to play with the sound)

I obtained a Musical Fidelity XFI, used, and am trying that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back