Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Hamburg made AQVOX?

looks interesting.
will look for some reviews.
cheers
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #33 of 46
Also you might want to look at the North Star Design DAC 192, there is one on the FS forums.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #34 of 46
I'll put in my recommendation for the CI Audio VDA2 & VAC1 combo. Cracking value (and available in the UK from an official distributor). I recently compared mine very favourably with the Headroom UDAC, costing nearly twice the price, which incidentally uses a similar chip to the Sabre32. Why not come along to the UK meet in a couple of weeks & take a listen to one...and many more
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #35 of 46
The Headroom UDAC actually uses the "ESS Technology ES9008 SABRE D-to-A processor" which is not the 32 bit version, but the 24 bit one.

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll put in my recommendation for the CI Audio VDA2 & VAC1 combo. Cracking value (and available in the UK from an official distributor). I recently compared mine very favourably with the Headroom UDAC, costing nearly twice the price, which incidentally uses a similar chip to the Sabre32. Why not come along to the UK meet in a couple of weeks & take a listen to one...and many more
wink.gif

thanks for the invite but unfortunately i am working that day.
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a new DAC which uses the ES9018 coming soon. Price is very affordable.

do you mean a new dac from headroom?

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes thats always a concern when buying from abroad especially from outside the EU. Unfortunately most of the best gear is from outside the EU so what can you do.
frown.gif

I have just ordered a Woo 6se and I was abit apprehensive about that because of the issues involved if I needed to return it. I don't know what happens with vat & customs if an item is returned or sent for repair its something I would need to look into. Some companies will actually cover the cost of sending the item back to them for repair at least in the first year. I am pretty sure Little Dot do that.
But regardless of the issues the Dac9 mk3 and possible the Roc are both on my shortlist
biggrin.gif

also audio-gd dont seem to rate the toslink as a connector.
not many of their units have them.
i think they said"bnc has up to 20 times less jitter" ? (some statement)

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #42 of 46
should i consider a quad 99 cdp-2 ?
is the dac in this gonna fair well with my dedicated dac choices?

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also audio-gd dont seem to rate the toslink as a connector.
not many of their units have them.
i think they said"bnc has up to 20 times less jitter" ? (some statement)

I got the impression Kingwa didn't want to build a high-end DAC then have it not perform at its best. He will build them with Toslink input on request now though, but will add a switch.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #44 of 46
Check with MisterX about building a AMB Gamma2 for you. Check the thread on the DIY forum here. AMB and MisterX have packed a lot of technology into a very small, relatively low cost package, which I think will compete very favourably with most of the DAC's on your list.

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #45 of 46
have made a decision, regarding my next dac.
bidding for a cyrus dac-x on ebay. if that fails, i will go for a Meier stagedac.
decided that my original budget was spot on. any increase would, almost certainly, not yield much further improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back