New cutting edge technology!
Apr 28, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #16 of 30
Hah, indestructable my foot. Did they have microwaves back then?

Sidenote: Who was the first person to microwave a CD? Did he get an award for being so freaking awesome?

Apr 28, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
Uuuuuh, what's a LASER? I've never heard of that.

[Dr. Evil]I have but one simple request, and that's to have SHARKS, with FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS, attached to their heads!!![/Dr. Evil]

Apr 28, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #18 of 30
The twinkle on the Play button is a nice touch.
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #19 of 30
Love that ad. These vintage players are actually quite nice IMHO.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #23 of 30
if archive.org wasn't slow as hell

http://www.archive.org/details/OpticalS1985

I only download the 34 MB took half an hours.

It's The computer chronicle talking about the new CD-rom technology

They even speculate that atari would come out with a cheap $600 cd-rom drive

which almost came true

http://www.atari-explorer.com/protos...s-cdar504.html

The problem is nobody has any idea what to do with 600MB of read only CD-rom. and The only thing is encyclopedia and indexes. which is why the smart ass free opinion commentator at the end predict the failiure of cd-rom

Check the state of hard drive in 1985
http://www.littletechshoppe.com/ns1625/winchest.html so 600MB storage is revolutionary but there is nobody developing any application for it.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
How on earth are we supposed to fit our LPs in that thing? I predict no one will buy it.

You have to fold it in half until it is in a circular shape.

Best of luck.

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto
This may be older. Magnavox FD 1000. 1984?

That's in fact a Philips CD 100 - first generation player of one of the inventors of the cd from 1982. As vintage as it gets in cd players, if you so will...

Quote:

I'll have to see how it sounds.

Quite nice, actually - provided it's still in good working order...

Quote:

Wonder if it's worth anything?

Yes, it is - but I'd rather recommend you to keep it, unless you'd only intend to abuse it. First generation players like these have already got rather rare...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
And everyone who bought it put in their CDs up side down, the way they saw it in the ad. (...)

Oh, well, my good old Pioneer actually likes 'em that way.
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #26 of 30
5hz eh?
impressive

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #28 of 30
I bet some of you oldschoolers were very excited when you saw ads like this
biggrin.gif

If it was early 80s I was in single digits in age, so I wasn't so concerned with sound reproduction technologies. I did already love several types of music by that time and even owned my own audio equipment before I was 10 years old. By 12 I was competing in the UIL music recognition competition, which involved identifying something like 20 classical pieces based on listening to a short passage of each. The 3 CDs mentioned in this ad would've been helpful -- Too bad we didn't have the 600 bucks to blow on this thing when I was a wee tyke.

Seriously, I think it says something that Tchaikovsky, Handel and Vivaldi CDs were offered as a package deal with this player. These days it would've probably been some crappy pop or something. Even today 3 CDs for $10 more doesn't seem like a bad deal though. If they're well mastered i'll take it!
tongue.gif
Digital audio is awesome!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by deez
I bet some of you oldschoolers were very excited when you saw ads like this
biggrin.gif

I was just graduating from high school myself, and really didn't have the funds at that point to be an early adopter of a new technology. In fact, I didn't own a CD player until some time in the 90s (possibly even mid 90s), I was into cassettes and vinyl.

P.S. I agree, digital audio is awesome. Although vinyl is good too, I have a belief that some people mistake the compression used on records (which raises the noise floor so quiet sounds are more audible) as better resolution, when in fact it's just the opposite. The noise floor of vinyl is typically around -50 to -60dB, and down around -90 dB with CDs. Admittedly this makes low-level signal easier to hear with vinyl records, but isn't objectively better. I'd pretty much always prefer to listen to classical on CD because of the much better dynamic range & lack of surface noise, but other formats can be better on vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back