New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3
May 5, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #1,261 of 1,401
Theres a used one on the fs forum that I think is in your price range

May 8, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #1,264 of 1,401
Hey,

So I finally received my SD-2s.
While they are still a little too big for my ears I think they fit way better than the SD-2 for me.
I still can't close my mouth completely (I've some temporo mandibular problem, always mouth closed like if I had took mdma, soI ave a big tendancy to  tighten my teeth) but it 's way more comfortable while not being completely comfortable

At this point I didn't have a lot of time to listen to these, but I've made two little session of 30 minutes on Samsung S2 and on my RME UCX.
They are drive-d super easily. There's a clear difference in the extremity of the spectrum with my RME compared to my S2, especially in the sub range.

Honestly I find these awesome. As some said the bass isn't super fast. Hardstyle sounds really well, Hardcore is less punchy.
A part this, I can't find anything to say about these. They seem to extend very well ( I'm a bit drunk right now so hard to judge this )and they are really nice in term of neutrality without being to much analytic. They sound very "natural" to me. I'm not an expert in the "HiFi" terms, but I think these will be my top choice portable monitoring system for mixing / mastering.

Review in the next 10 days when I've had time to check these further, but I can tell right now that these sound really good !

May 10, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #1,265 of 1,401
Hey,

To SD-X(s) owners:

I'm thinking about buying a few foam tips, have you any recommendation that are compatible with the SD series ? (I'm looking at the comply/westone right now but I can't find any info about if they are compatible of not with the SD series)

Thanks.

May 11, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #1,267 of 1,401
  Hey,

To SD-X(s) owners:

I'm thinking about buying a few foam tips, have you any recommendation that are compatible with the SD series ? (I'm looking at the comply/westone right now but I can't find any info about if they are compatible of not with the SD series)

Thanks.

Congrats to your new one. 
L3000.gif

SD series compatible with foam comply T-400 or Ts-400. I tried T-400 but still prefer silicon eartips, spinfit and ortofon M size mainly. 
wink.gif

Westone eartips have too small bore, it cant fit on SD series. 

May 11, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #1,268 of 1,401

Congrats to your new one. 
L3000.gif

SD series compatible with foam comply T-400 or Ts-400. I tried T-400 but still prefer silicon eartips, spinfit and ortofon M size mainly. 
wink.gif

Westone eartips have too small bore, it cant fit on SD series. 

+1 spinfit are more comfortable than comply. Really improved the sd-2 sonics imo. Dopaminer sells em. PM him,. 

May 11, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #1,269 of 1,401
Thanks for you inputs, I've send a message directly from their Website.

Here is a picture of the two painful zone:

In black, it's the zone that really hurt for me, in grey it comes after 30 minutes approximately. After ~45 minutes I have to take them off because it's really hurting and at this point I can't wear them more than 2 hours in a day (because of this black zone).
Hopefully the two uncomfortable zone comes from the fact that I'm maybe not deep enough into the ear canal ? (I'm not sure about that but since it's my first try in the IEM world it's a possibility).

I think I have to accustom my ears to this pain before it become acceptable but if I can reduce it a bit in the meantime it would be great because at this point I can't forget the pain/discomfort.

There is also the possibility that I'm not wearing them optimally (in their position). I'll post some picture tonight so I can have your advice on this point.

Well, this was the reason why I was prone to go for foam tips because it looked more comfortable that silicone tips. But from what you've answered I may be wrong and at this point comfort is more of an issue than sounds ( omg... they sounds so good !)

EDIT :

So after further try I noticed that the SD-2S is actually a little too big for my concha, it's not way too big but maybe 2mm too be a comfortable fit. Hopefully I'll get habituated after a few weeks because I'm too much in love with the sound to send them back.
I also made some more try with the other plug. The M just accentuate the already painful sensation in the "black spot" of the picture above. The S accentuate it a bit but it make the "grey spot" more comfortable, in the first position, while being equivalent to the XS in the second position. ( see below )

I've ordered a 3x pair of S-400 from Comply (Couldn't find the TX-400 in stock without paying their price in delivery) and I'll receive them in two days so I'll be able to see if the pain come from the tips or from the fact that my concha is too small for the SD-2S (It's probably that, but hopefully the Comply will help to fit deeper without being disagreeable, because it seems that I'm not deep enough in the ear canal with the S tips, see below)

I took some pictures of the SD-2S in my ear with the S tips

Without the SD-2S

First Position:
The SD-2S is only put in the ear canal, the upper "body" of it isn't into my hear actually. It's the most comfortable position but it kill a bit the secure / pseudo-custom fit, while being comfortable enough and still pretty good in term of sound while not as good as with the second position.

Second position: 
The SD-2S is put half into my ear, it's painful really fast (2-3 minutes) but it's supportable for 45-60 minutes ( I have to constantly move them), then I have to make a one hour pause to reset the pain.

I didn't took a picture with the SD-2S completely in my concha because it hurt very quickly and I don't think I suppose to pull on my ear to put something into them, plus in this position the sound doesn't improve in any way

Well if you have some advice concerning the fit, maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'm listening.

I'm also still interest to know if someone have a secure way to remove the ear guide, because it's not really practical with glasses.

Thanks.

RE-EDIT :

I've wore the SD-2S around 4 hours today, around 2 hours in position #1 and 2 hours in position #2 (see above) with the S instead of XS tip and it was better for comfort in general while not changing the sound noticeably to me, or very slightly.

So I've received the S-400 (Medium) today, because I couldn't find the Small version without paying more in delivery than the actual price of the tips themselves.

I can't shout victory right now because I'm a bit tipsy but the first impression are:
Black spot is more comfortable, and I can fit the SD-2S deeper in my concha and ear canal.
Grey spot isn't more comfortable, it hurt less but the pressure made by the tips are more pronounced.

Probably because the Medium is too big for me, I'll try to mod a pair to see if with less foam it's better.
So on the grey zone Medium tip from InEar are equal to the Comply in term of pressure while the comply allows a deeper insertion than the S/xS from InEar and therefore a better comfort in the black zone while causing more pressure in the ear canal.

Overall comfort with the same position is better with the (too big for me) comply than with the stock tips, isolation is at least as good, sounds seems to by a little different but I have to A-B this.

May 19, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,270 of 1,401
So, I've ordered some Ts-400 (small) from comply last week, hopefully they'll ship soon, so I won't be able to get them before the beginning of June I think.

In the meantime I'm searching for a more size friendly case that would fit in my pocket and protect the SD-2S from damage because while the case that comes with them is just awesome in all aspects it's too big to fit into my pocket.

I found some post about carrying case on the forum but I wasn't sure if the SD would fit into it.
What do you guys use to put them in your pocket ?

May 21, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,271 of 1,401
I've found this camera hard shell case. It's on the big side but it have a convenient belt "clip" / "tether" / "brace" ( I don't know the right word in English ...). It seems enough resistant for normal daily abuse, but I wouldn't ride with this. Well was a good deal for ~17.5 USD in Switzerland where I couldn't fin the Shure easqrzipcase.

May 22, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #1,272 of 1,401
  I've found this camera hard shell case. It's on the big side but it have a convenient belt "clip" / "tether" / "brace" ( I don't know the right word in English ...). It seems enough resistant for normal daily abuse, but I wouldn't ride with this. Well was a good deal for ~17.5 USD in Switzerland where I couldn't fin the Shure easqrzipcase.

Have a look at westones small hardcase.

May 23, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,273 of 1,401
I've already, the little one doesn't seems to be very well built.
For now I'm very happy with this one, seems very solid, way enough for daily use. I'll keep the pelican for when I go in more dangerous zone ( water / possible fall..etc) but that shouldn't happen very often knowing me.

May 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,274 of 1,401
  I've already, the little one doesn't seems to be very well built.
For now I'm very happy with this one, seems very solid, way enough for daily use. I'll keep the pelican for when I go in more dangerous zone ( water / possible fall..etc) but that shouldn't happen very often knowing me.

The little black ones are bombproof (though I wouldn't try it myself!).  Seriously though, for just chucking them in the bag when not using them it will be fine.

May 28, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,275 of 1,401
Well, received my Ts-400 (small) from the USA today...

First impressions are....

Way too big for me, they are the same size than the Large silicon tips from the SD-2S....So I don't really see how this can be advertised as small...
Pressure is uncomfortable instantly for me, it doesn't hurt but my brain is more focused on this feeling than on music so...

I'll do some further fit test but right now, a bit deceived.

EDIT:

I've modded a pair of them, by cutting ~2mm of their length on the bottom part, the pressure is way less pronounced.
I think the issue is not from the comply but from the fact that they are longer than the other plugs and this cause the SD-2S to make pressure on the ear canal. If I wear them "out of the concha" which completely kill the secure / pseudo-custom fit and make you look very weird I guess it's more comfortable, during the first minuts euivalent to the xS from InEar.

I'll bench the modded one vs the xS / S plug from InEar for longer period this WE and give feedback if that could help someone having the same issue with too small ear / too sensitive ear canal / whatever is the issue with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back