New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3
Apr 24, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #1,232 of 1,401
Hello,

I spoke with Thomann and the Post andd I have the opportunity to refuse the package at delivery in order not to pay the VAT + Administration fees and order the SD-2S instead of the SD-2 without paying anything more.

What would you advise me to do ?
Knowing that if I accept the SD-2 and it doesn't fit it would cost me around 45-50 € of VAT + Administration fees that won't be reimbursed if I send it back.

Is there any reason why the SD-2 could be more comfortable than the SD-2S considering the pictures that I posted ?
I mean, it seem that the SD-2 could fit medium/small ears but I'm a bit worried about the shape of my concha and the medium/small size of my ear.

I have until Monday to decide so help to decide what's the best move would be great.
Thanks.

EDIT: Got my answer from InEar and they advise to go with the SD-2s so I'll do that.

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,233 of 1,401
Well, I had a good surprise today when going home. It seems that there's some deal between Germany & Switzerland when you order with DHL and there wasn't any administration fees, only ~27 € VAT to pay.
So I took my chance and payed it to test the SD-2 and unfortunately like some of you & InEar told me, it was too big for my ears and it was hurting me after 2 seconds so I guess I'll have to wait an other 15 days to get my SD-2s.

I'm really impressed with the sound, it's neutral but not too clinical to me and the isolation is hallucinating... I was in the bus I could perceive a bit of the low frequencies but just a bit, it was more a body than ears feeling, I couldn't hear anything going out from the mouth of anyone in the bus...

Well this look very very promising.
Cant wait to send back the SD-2 and get the SD-2S.

Thanks for everyone that helped me, in the end I lost 28 € but I think it was worth the try for a such amazing product.

Best regards.

PS :

Here are two pictures so people that will have the same dilemma as me could see that it was too large for ears sized like mines. 
Well it's not obvious on the picture but it was impossible to close my mouth with those in my ears and it wasn't super comfortable even with my mouth fully opened because of the size. However I'm pretty confident that these would be ultra comfortable in their smaller size because I couldn't imagine that they will even fit into my ears when I openend the box and I was surprised that they did.

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,234 of 1,401
Well, I had a good surprise today when going home. It seems that there's some deal between Germany & Switzerland when you order with DHL and there wasn't any administration fees, only ~27 € VAT to pay.
So I took my chance and payed it to test the SD-2 and unfortunately like some of you & InEar told me, it was too big for my ears and it was hurting me after 2 seconds so I guess I'll have to wait an other 15 days to get my SD-2s.

I'm really impressed with the sound, it's neutral but not too clinical to me and the isolation is hallucinating... I was in the bus I could perceive a bit of the low frequencies but just a bit, it was more a body than ears feeling, I couldn't hear anything going out from the mouth of anyone in the bus...

Well this look very very promising.
Cant wait to send back the SD-2 and get the SD-2S.

Thanks for everyone that helped me, in the end I lost 28 € but I think it was worth the try for a such amazing product.

Best regards.

PS :

Here are two pictures so people that will have the same dilemma as me could see that it was too large for ears sized like mines. 
Well it's not obvious on the picture but it was impossible to close my mouth with those in my ears and it wasn't super comfortable even with my mouth fully opened because of the size. However I'm pretty confident that these would be ultra comfortable in their smaller size because I couldn't imagine that they will even fit into my ears when I openend the box and I was surprised that they did.

Apologies for leading you astray on the sizing but it looked like everything turned out well in the end :)

I'm glad you enjoy the sound of these as much as I do, they're the first pair of IEM'S that I've owned that I actually look forward to listening to!

May 2, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,238 of 1,401
^ Is the $150 price difference between the SD-2 over the se425 worth the difference in sound signature?

Did you enjoy the se425 at all? I am considering this IEM, but I wonder if it might not be bass heavy enough.

May 2, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,239 of 1,401
What's your source and what iems/headphones do you already own?

Though the SD2 has a bit more bass than the SE425, it still sounds neutral-ish.

Imo, the price difference is indeed worth it. The SD2 has got better mid and treble resolution, better treble extension, a much better soundstage, sounds more authentical and has the better bass texture. The only real disadvantage is that the bass is pretty slow imo. The SE425's bass is faster and drier. I can only enjoy slow Jazz and slow Classic Rock with the SD2. With rather fast Jazz and other fast music, the bass is too slow for my taste.

By the way, both iems require a low impedance source <1 Ohm would be great but also <2 Ohms are yet okay (for the SD2 which reacts more critical when being connected to high impedance sources, for the SE425 <3 Ohms are still okay).
Both iems will sound brighter the higher the output resistance gets.

May 2, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #1,240 of 1,401
I don't use any amps at the moment. I use my iphone 5 and laptop running Windows 7 as the music source. I currently own the Shure se215 special edition, which I bought after selling my se215 regular editions and RHA t10i. I didn't like the t10i at all. se215 was nice, but I like the improvements the special editions have (a bit more treble and bass). Before I got into IEMS, I used to have Momentum Over Ear headphones. I don't have a collection. I prefer to hold on to one earphone/headphone. I enjoy the se215 SPE, but I am considering some options to see what I like the best.

Do they both require an amp? That might be a deal breaker.

May 2, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,241 of 1,401
First of all, impedance-wise, the iPhone 5 will be good but given the fact that most PCs' internal soundcards have got a fairly high output resistance, both of the iems will (presumably) sound much brighter straight from your PC. Neither of them needs an amp if your source has got a low output impedance.

Second, I think that neither of both iems will satisfy your needs. Both, the SE215 and Momentum, have got significantly more bass.

May 2, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,242 of 1,401
That's true, but I have never tried the a neutral sounding earphone. I may look like I only prefer bass, but I did not enjoy the t10i for precisely that reason. I've noticed I enjoy clarity as much as I do bass. I want to try a pair just to see whether or not I like it better. Currently, the se215 special edition is a great all rounder. I enjoy it more than anything I've tried, but I'm curious to see what's out there. As long as bass is present, I think I'll still enjoy a neutral sounding IEM.

May 2, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,244 of 1,401
  Do In Ear StageDiver 2 have a similar sound sig to the se425?

Short answer is yes.

However, SD-2 sounds quite a bit warmer and much cleaner IMO. It has much better extension on both sides of the frequency spectrum.

I also like its build quality and looks more. Although not cheap, I would say it is well worth its price, especially compared to the SE-425, which I find overpriced (based on European prices).

Both offer great comfort and isolation, if you find the right tips for your ears.

The only thing that I dislike about SD-2 compared to SE-425 is that it's warmer. SE-425 may sound a bit clearer, but in a splashy way, if that makes sense.

May 2, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,245 of 1,401
 ^ Thanks for your response. Yeah I'm interested in trying both. I can get the se425 for around $220 USD vs the $300 USD MSRP. The sd-2 is around $370 USD. I really wish I could afford the sd-2. I'm still considering to try one of them. I'm leaning toward the se425. because of the price lol. I feel as if $220 is a good deal for the se425. Is it still overpriced? What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back