New - Cowon Plenue S
May 24, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #496 of 1,158
Hi vilhelm. It is actually a big leap from my former dap x3ii. And it pairs well with my jomo 6r. :thumbsup:

7d5a63e3a4b868099135c576e8a6935d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! Glad to hear you're enjoying the player. It's a step up from the QP1R too...it's pure class.

May 25, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #497 of 1,158
Just wondering if anyone is using a 200GB micro SD card with the Plenue S

Vaguely thinking about moving from AK240 to Plenue S, one minor concern is downgrading from 256GB internal on AK240 to a 128GB on Plenue S.
It's not a huge issue because Plenue S has blazing fast SD card reading speed, so I can carry multiple SD cards and swap them around if needed.

Anyhow I don't mind buying a 200GB micro SD but I know that some other DAPs don't seem to detect them.

Also, if anyone knows any good 128GB or 200GB micro SD card with fast write speed then please let me know.

Sandisk only has the "Ultra" version which caps out around 20 MB/s, which takes ages to write music into it.
I also have Sandisk "Extreme Pro" that can do over 60MB/s but they only make the 64GB card so far.

I tried Samsung 128GB but that capped out at 24MB/s as well. Haven't tried Lexar yet.

May 25, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #498 of 1,158
  Just wondering if anyone is using a 200GB micro SD card with the Plenue S

Vaguely thinking about moving from AK240 to Plenue S, one minor concern is downgrading from 256GB internal on AK240 to a 128GB on Plenue S.
It's not a huge issue because Plenue S has blazing fast SD card reading speed, so I can carry multiple SD cards and swap them around if needed.

Anyhow I don't mind buying a 200GB micro SD but I know that some other DAPs don't seem to detect them.

Also, if anyone knows any good 128GB or 200GB micro SD card with fast write speed then please let me know.

Sandisk only has the "Ultra" version which caps out around 20 MB/s, which takes ages to write music into it.
I also have Sandisk "Extreme Pro" that can do over 60MB/s but they only make the 64GB card so far.

I tried Samsung 128GB but that capped out at 24MB/s as well. Haven't tried Lexar yet.

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 200GB with no problems at all with the Plenue S. I believe that I have it formatted exFAT, and that I seem to remember the S being fine with either that or FAT32.

May 25, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #499 of 1,158
  I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 200GB with no problems at all with the Plenue S. I believe that I have it formatted exFAT, and that I seem to remember the S being fine with either that or FAT32.

Cool. Thanks for that information. That's exactly what I needed to know.
Also, being able to read exFAT is great for formatting in Windows.

I guess Sandisk is still the most reliable when it comes to micro SD card for DAPs. 

May 27, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #502 of 1,158
A Samsung 256 micro SDXC card will be released in june. You really cant store much hires music on 128 go.

This is a really interesting question - how nuch memory do you really need in your player? I'm leaning toward 256gb (unless the material is mainly quad DSD)....

How much do we really need? Like how many cars, rooms in a house, watches, how much is too much and superflous?

For myself I find roughly 128gb or a little more is what I have as my "core". These are the greatest, classics. Just gotta have not in heavy rotation but got to go back occasionally. Then the other 64-128gb is on heavy rotation. Many eventually get dumped, a few make it into the core and new stuff is rotated in.

How do you handle this issue?

May 28, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #503 of 1,158
a 96-24 flac album is about 1.3 Gb.  In DSD 64 its more like 2.4.  So lets take 1.5Gb per album, on average.  128Gb once formated is only 116.  So there is space for 77 albums.  This might be enough for some.  I have more than 300 Gb in hires and about as much in CD flac (0.4 Gb/album).  So no matter how I select the albums that go on the Plenue (I am still at the 1 edition), there is never enough space.  This is the reason why everybody is bitching on the 128 Gb device memory.  It seems they assume their customers are getting the Plenue S for ordinary CD quality files.  I just cannot understand.

May 28, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #504 of 1,158
I think you should be good with the 128 internal memory + 200 GB card extension. That's like 200 albums, I can't imagine anyone to really have more than 2500 music pieces he really wants to listen to on the run. So buying another player only for the sake of a second memory slot is not an argument for me

May 28, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #505 of 1,158
You will need a 200 hour battery life. :wink:

May 28, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #506 of 1,158
a 96-24 flac album is about 1.3 Gb.  In DSD 64 its more like 2.4.  So lets take 1.5Gb per album, on average.  128Gb once formated is only 116.  So there is space for 77 albums.  This might be enough for some.  I have more than 300 Gb in hires and about as much in CD flac (0.4 Gb/album).  So no matter how I select the albums that go on the Plenue (I am still at the 1 edition), there is never enough space.  This is the reason why everybody is bitching on the 128 Gb device memory.  It seems they assume their customers are getting the Plenue S for ordinary CD quality files.  I just cannot understand.

There is the additional memory slot so double that to 256gb. Is that enough?

I have all my digital music on a NAS with several TB. It sounds like people are storing their entire collection on a DAP?

May 28, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #507 of 1,158
My Dead collection is over 500GB and I would rather have all of it on the S at the same time (not least for when I travel for work) as it is I have 2x 200GB and the internal memory... the samsung site talks about over $200 for their 256GB on release c/w $80 for SanSisk 200GB so might be best to wait a little... also SanDisk aren't going to just give so maybe they will come back with 300GB which is somewhat clearer benefit...

Although I do have iTunes I don't play any of the digital stuff on the home hifi so the P1 and the S are my digital collection (in part because I depend on the custom EQ settings)...

I am sure that Cowon will have a S2 in the works with 256 internal (or better two slots which is the one advantage of that QRP(?) device)

May 28, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #509 of 1,158
Thanks to all the helpful encouragement on this thread, I ended up getting a Plenue S myself...
It's a great sounding player.

After I transferred some of my music, I found a strange bug that I couldn't figure out how to fix.
Basically all of my music files greater than 2GB has their tags missing, and gets tagged as "Unknown".
So that's mostly higher sample rate files of longer than say 10-20 minutes, which happens a lot with classical music.
Those same files show up fine on JRiver, Audirvana, AK240, Fiio X7, etc. Just the Plenue S seems to have issues.

This is really annoying since those songs become missing from the album. I wonder if anyone knows a workaround.

By the way, is there a bug report place for Plenue? I went to the Cowon website but there was some open Q&A and FAQ type pages, but nothing discrete for reporting issues.

May 28, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #510 of 1,158
  Thanks to all the helpful encouragement on this thread, I ended up getting a Plenue S myself...
It's a great sounding player.

After I transferred some of my music, I found a strange bug that I couldn't figure out how to fix.
Basically all of my music files greater than 2GB has their tags missing, and gets tagged as "Unknown".
So that's mostly higher sample rate files of longer than say 10-20 minutes, which happens a lot with classical music.
Those same files show up fine on JRiver, Audirvana, AK240, Fiio X7, etc. Just the Plenue S seems to have issues.

This is really annoying since those songs become missing from the album. I wonder if anyone knows a workaround.

By the way, is there a bug report place for Plenue? I went to the Cowon website but there was some open Q&A and FAQ type pages, but nothing discrete for reporting issues.

wow that is interesting! your files must be ultra hi-res... i have 30minute FLAC 24/192 which come out just below a 1GB the only other large files are some Miles Davis (in a silent way) which are around 20 minutes and in DSD 2.8 again less than 1GB so I can't check

I can find no way of contacting Cowon on their international site - I once left a question on their Q&A but they never responded... I ask via my dealer and when i reported the UI bugs on the S they never sent the dealer back a reply but FW1.01 and 1.02 turned up and fixed all my issues...

If you didn't buy via an authorised dealer then I am sure someone here could ask on your behalf - it would be quickest  if there is someone in Korea but I don't mind asking if no one else will
-- you'd need to let us know the format etc, and how the tags were written...

I know this will be a bore but have you tried manually retagging the files? I manually tag everything from scratch because I am 'anal' but having the tags just right really matters (and I like to add the 6 different artworks you can have per FLAC file)

Let us know how you get on and if you want someone/me to ask my dealer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back