New - Cowon Plenue S
Apr 4, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #361 of 1,158
  @bluedolphin shot me a PM requesting a video showing the Plenue S, so here it is:

That was a really cool video Spamateur! You are a better salesman than Cowon! A nice selection of artists too! Is your cable from Toxic-cable by any chance? I am awaiting mine back from them to use the balanced output...

One thing you said which I don't think is right is about the art appearing when you turn the player landscape... I have lots of nonstandard images for my albums (which are mostly all live recordings) with things like ticket stubs etc I have used and these all appear in the landscape browser perfectly. I find that you need to keep about 120MB free on the internal 128GB and 150 to 200MB free on the 200GB MicroSD card so that it manages it's artwork cache... also did you know that it supports up to 6 pieces of artwork for each track providing you are using FLAC? I think this is a lovely feature and it means for my beloved dead shows I can load up tickets, posters and photos from the gig and then the S just cycles through the artwork as it plays the track

I do still think the UI is slightly buggy/laggy compared with the P1 and have raised that with AdvancedMP3 to flag to Cowon...

Oh and one last thing - if you look on the Cowon website and select the Plenue page and then scroll to the bottom there is a link to user created interfaces for all the Plenue devices - there are 5 (I think) which work on the P1 and the S and the one called 'Oblique' and once called 'TypeF' are quite good - certainly better than the hideous brushed metal one... you can install any one of these at any time given 6 interfaces on the device

I am so looking forward to having a balanced cable to try out

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #362 of 1,158
  That was a really cool video Spamateur! You are a better salesman than Cowon! A nice selection of artists too! Is your cable from Toxic-cable by any chance? I am awaiting mine back from them to use the balanced output...

One thing you said which I don't think is right is about the art appearing when you turn the player landscape... I have lots of nonstandard images for my albums (which are mostly all live recordings) with things like ticket stubs etc I have used and these all appear in the landscape browser perfectly. I find that you need to keep about 120MB free on the internal 128GB and 150 to 200MB free on the 200GB MicroSD card so that it manages it's artwork cache... also did you know that it supports up to 6 pieces of artwork for each track providing you are using FLAC? I think this is a lovely feature and it means for my beloved dead shows I can load up tickets, posters and photos from the gig and then the S just cycles through the artwork as it plays the track

I do still think the UI is slightly buggy/laggy compared with the P1 and have raised that with AdvancedMP3 to flag to Cowon...

Oh and one last thing - if you look on the Cowon website and select the Plenue page and then scroll to the bottom there is a link to user created interfaces for all the Plenue devices - there are 5 (I think) which work on the P1 and the S and the one called 'Oblique' and once called 'TypeF' are quite good - certainly better than the hideous brushed metal one... you can install any one of these at any time given 6 interfaces on the device

I am so looking forward to having a balanced cable to try out

Thanks man!

Yup the UI def has a few bugs as we've discussed before. Hopefully they iron these strange little annoyances out. Considering all the frequent P1 firmware updates we saw over the last year and change, I feel pretty confident that things are only going to improve from a solid start, especially considering that current-state firmware is still on par with the best DAPs out there.

Hmmm... still not sure what's going on with the artwork cache. Really appreciate the heads up about the memory cache. Roughly a third of both the internal storage and my 200gb microSD card are free, so it shouldn't be a memory caching issue, but who knows? It's so strange that it's fine in portrait but not the cover flow, but I never use the cover flow so it isn't a problem (except in my brain where I will always know that something is wrong and it will drive me crazy...)

The balanced cable is the Effect Audio Eros 4-wire. It is fantastic, and was purchased on @raypin's recommendation. I had tried two Moon Audio cables and ended up returning both as they didn't synergize well with the Zeus/PS combo for some reason that I can't figure out. The Eros is absolutely delightful and very "affordable" as aftermarket cables go at $200 for the 4-wire version, and Effect Audio has a 3.5mm TRRS termination option. It's a silver/copper hybrid and Effect turns them around quickly (shipped the next business day after my order) which is rare considering most cable makers I looked at were quoting 6-8 week turnarounds. I was dying to grab the Rhapsodio RSD Golden on @flinkenick's hearty recommendation but just couldn't justify the price right now. One of these days, however...

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #363 of 1,158
Just got the S and loving it...

But... I have hit a snag which the instructions are not much use. I have created a favorites/playlist but then decided to delete it and/or rename. 
How is this done? I can remove the tracks within the list but not the list name itself... anyone know the answer?

BTW - an interesting observations is that while using the balanced TRRS. The player does not detect and stop the playback.... 

Other than that this is a fun player

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #364 of 1,158
  Just got the S and loving it...

But... I have hit a snag which the instructions are not much use. I have created a favorites/playlist but then decided to delete it and/or rename. 
How is this done? I can remove the tracks within the list but not the list name itself... anyone know the answer?

BTW - an interesting observations is that while using the balanced TRRS. The player does not detect and stop the playback.... 

Other than that this is a fun player

Never mind I figured it out...

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #366 of 1,158

I don't understand what you mean by "the player does not detect and stop the playback..."

could you explain a little more?

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #367 of 1,158
My retailer just recommended a 3.5 to 2.5 balanced adapter by plussound, small and works really well for Cowon S to be used with AK 2.5 plugs... Too bad I cannot post pics yet.

Oh nice! I'll have to Google this and see if I can find it.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #368 of 1,158
  I don't understand what you mean by "the player does not detect and stop the playback..."

could you explain a little more?

I think he means that with the single-ended output, when you disconnect your headphone jack it stops playback, but it doesn't with the balanced output.

Confirmed that mine works the same way. If I don't have anything plugged into my PS and turn it on, it seems to default to the balanced jack automatically per the little headphone icon at the top.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #370 of 1,158
  I think he means that with the single-ended output, when you disconnect your headphone jack it stops playback, but it doesn't with the balanced output.

Confirmed that mine works the same way. If I don't have anything plugged into my PS and turn it on, it seems to default to the balanced jack automatically per the little headphone icon at the top.

That's exactly what I meant - thanks for sorting that out!

Listening with k10u + double helix balanced - there is an intimacy which I don't hear from either the Sony zx2 or the AK380

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #371 of 1,158
seems pretty quiet thread for a flagship 
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #375 of 1,158
Cuz it's insanely overpriced! Only 10 ppl in the world can afford this hence why it's quiet :D

Cowon isn't trendy that's why. Most of AK's products is overpriced IMO, yet the AK thread is pumping. Being overpriced is not a deterrent in this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back