New - Cowon Plenue S
Jun 9, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #556 of 1,158
Has anyone here compared the following:

1. Plenue S   v/s   AR-M2 (Acoustic Research M2)
    The PS has Burr-Brown  PCM1792A  while the AR-M2 has the Burr Brown PCM1794A
    PS price is US $1850 while the AR-M2 is priced at around US $1300

2. Plenue S  v/s  combination of (Vorzuge Pure II+ and Onkyo DP-X1) ?
     Price of Vurzuge Pure II+ is US$ 615 and that of Onkyo DP-X1 is US $690

Can you provide any recommendations on which of these is worth buying in terms of performance, features, sound quality, battery life etc.?

thanks in advance.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #557 of 1,158
Has anyone here compared the following:

1. Plenue S   v/s   AR-M2 (Acoustic Research M2)
    The PS has Burr-Brown  PCM1792A  while the AR-M2 has the Burr Brown PCM1794A
    PS price is US $1850 while the AR-M2 is priced at around US $1300

2. Plenue S  v/s  combination of (Vorzuge Pure II+ and Onkyo DP-X1) ?
     Price of Vurzuge Pure II+ is US$ 615 and that of Onkyo DP-X1 is US $690

Can you provide any recommendations on which of these is worth buying in terms of performance, features, sound quality, battery life etc.?

thanks in advance.
weeks ago I almost order the dpx1 for replacing PM, but I ended to have PS now. My reasons of dropping dpx1 mainly from
1. No Native DSD, unlike PS that dpx1 would convert DSD to PCMs
2. dpx1 is 2Vrms under balanced out and so not able to push drive earphone nicely such as to K702/HD800
3. dpx1 only equipped a 48k close source but PS have 44/48 both, this gives much lower signal noises from playing hi-res music
4. android base UI stability still have issues, unlike PS's Linux which also proven in PD/PM/P1 with highly straight and fast respond to heavy music users, plus the intensive custom EQ options to tune - I use this often to play among vocal jazz and variety of classic cantatas - very enjoyful

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #560 of 1,158
Has anybody experienced that balanced out stopped working? It doesn't recognise there's a cable plugged in anymore.

You meam the B letter doesnt light up? No.
2 possibilities.

Either the PS has a problem or the jack/phone has a problem. If your cans work with another balanced output then you know which one it is or vice versa?

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #561 of 1,158
You meam the B letter doesnt light up? No.
2 possibilities.

Either the PS has a problem or the jack/phone has a problem. If your cans work with another balanced output then you know which one it is or vice versa?

At first I was hoping I accidentally pressed some setting, but it's a hardware issue of some sort. Luckily AMP3 has already responded they'll have it replaced!

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #562 of 1,158
it uses Linux and on the P1 it is ultra responsive - updating the database after adding 10GB worth of FLACs on the external microSD takes literally 20 seconds! also no Android nonsense on the Mac - the P1 and microSD mount as external drives and the speed of copy depends on the USB speed of your Mac... it also supports multiple artwork on FLACs so I am able to embed up to 6 concert photos, tickets, etc. for each track and the UI cycles through them when playing -- since 90% of my 300BG on the P1 (128GB internal and 200GB microSD which equates to 300GB usable space for music) is live GD then the artwork bit is just amazing.

I was sceptical about the EQ - my hi-fi is all naim so very 'flat earth' and anti twiddling with EQ - but the P1 EQ allows a myriad of fine tuning which can be saved as numbered use pre-set - which is perfect since each year of GD performances had different sound issues (e.g. cassette SDB sources for the early 80s) which I can address in a way I can't on my hi-fi.

I am not thrilled they have doubled the price for the S and that they aren't doubling the internal memory to 256GB but if the internal amp really is much better so I never need to consider a separate amp to use with my LCD-X and if the balanced output is as good as it might be then I think this will be worth the money
i see you was using a 200g microSD for p1 which means positive for me to get one for PS, high possibility the 200g would works!

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #563 of 1,158
yes the 200gb microSD works perfectly in both the P1 and the S

I hope the about to be released Samsung 256GB works similarly well... anyone know a reason why it wouldn't? does Linux have a limit on the size of microSD?

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #564 of 1,158
i am sellling my Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable which is TRRS- terminated (balanced) for zx2/hifiman players

if anyone is interested....pm me.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/810514/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v1-c-iem-cable-3-5-mm-trrs-jack-for-sony-zx2-hifiman-901-balanced-2-pin

cheers

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #566 of 1,158
On the market for a new DAP I was looking at AR M2 and this one. Then I saw AR is more for full cans and too powerful for most IEMs. Seeing most people in the last messages uses it with full cans and amp is powerful, is it OK with CIEMs?

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #567 of 1,158
On the market for a new DAP I was looking at AR M2 and this one. Then I saw AR is more for full cans and too powerful for most IEMs. Seeing most people in the last messages uses it with full cans and amp is powerful, is it OK with CIEMs?

Yes I use it with Shure se846 when commuting to and from work/flying etc. and with Audeze LCD-X when listening at home... brilliant with both! It has a dedicated IEM mode which reduces the output to avoid the problem you mention...

highly recommend it

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #569 of 1,158
I not sure how and why the PS suddenly go 'silent' completely while I turn it back from sleep mode for playing music. This is 2nd time encountered this issue, anyone who had this and knowing why it happens?

I turn PS on/off twice and switch to wav48 playing, the problem then go away and now plays DSD &WAV both normally

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #570 of 1,158
sorry never had anything like this - I have had issues where the artwork associated with a track (or the time elapsed) doesn't display when the screen has been asleep but the recent FW upgrades seem to have dealt with that - is this related to a particular file format? is the file on an SD card not the internal memory? are you using latest FW? are you using SE or balanced connection (and can you swap to see if the problem remains)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back